1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Update / Fixed**Turn Signal fast blink problem / 4 ways work normal

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:36 PM
dadriva
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**Update / Fixed**Turn Signal fast blink problem / 4 ways work normal

2008 F250 PSD

Turn signals are blinking fast like a bulb is out for BOTH right and left turns. All bulbs checked and good.

Recon side markers installed in tow mirrors and worked fine for a year or so. Started blowing 15A fuse for fog lights and side markers about a month ago and this would coincide with fast blinking. After fuse was fixed problem solved until fuse blew again.

Due to fuse blowing a couple times I finally checked connections in mirrors for side marker / turn signals and found corroded connection on drivers side. Sanded, cleaned and re-installed with new fuse and checked all 4 LEDs in the RECON side markers.

4 way flashers blink at normal speed.

STILL have fast blink issue with turn signals.....

Help!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:58 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Somewhere in the system you have a too much electricity going to your flasher module. LEDs can cause that, but you said they have been working fine for a year. I cant tell you where this is happening but youre just going to have to trace ever wire back.

You say that when you turn on the 4 way its fine. I'm assuming you mean the emergency flashers. That is normal when a bulb is out too, ie getting too much energy. Everything you are saying leads me to believe that your flasher module is getting too much power.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 PM
dadriva
New User
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
Somewhere in the system you have a too much electricity going to your flasher module. LEDs can cause that, but you said they have been working fine for a year. I cant tell you where this is happening but youre just going to have to trace ever wire back.

You say that when you turn on the 4 way its fine. I'm assuming you mean the emergency flashers. That is normal when a bulb is out too, ie getting too much energy. Everything you are saying leads me to believe that your flasher module is getting too much power.
Trey, thanks for your reply..

By "4 ways" I mean the emergency flashers. I do not know / can't remember if the the turn signals illuminate on the mirrors when the emergency flashers are on. Can anyone confirm / deny for me?

If they do not, then that isolates my problem to the mirror turn signals as causing the fast flashing with only the turn signals and not the 4 ways.

All bulbs are in good working order...still stumped..........

Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
The flashers are different for the turn signals, I think. It could be just the flasher, put a heavy duty in it's place, if you don't have one anyway.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:15 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Get a multimeter and check the load. The flasher subroutine on the control module Is VERY finicky. You may have to add a resistor to each of the mirror LED's.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 PM
dadriva
New User
Originally Posted by lakedweller
The flashers are different for the turn signals, I think. It could be just the flasher, put a heavy duty in it's place, if you don't have one anyway.
Where is the turn signal "flasher" located?

Is it in the under hood fuse box?

Thanks

Old 06-10-2011, 04:54 AM
Trey
Senior User
On my old truck they would always flash faster when either a bulb was burnt, or the little metal flasher dealey-ma-bobber in the fusebox was getting ready to go. Have you checked those basic items?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:44 AM
dadriva
New User
Originally Posted by Trey
On my old truck they would always flash faster when either a bulb was burnt, or the little metal flasher dealey-ma-bobber in the fusebox was getting ready to go. Have you checked those basic items?
I've done all of the basics like checking lights, bulbs, fuses, connections, etc...

Trying to find the little metal flasher dealey-ma-bobber to see if it is still good but do not know where it is located.

Does the one relay control BOTH the emergency flashers (hazard lights / 4 ways) and the turn signals on this truck?

Thanks again

Old 06-10-2011, 09:40 AM
dadriva
New User
Update / more info

I just went out and put the OEM bulbs in the tow mirror parking light and blinker locations for both left and right.

The parking lights illuminate but the blinkers do not work (just like the RECONs) so that eliminates the LEDs being the issue and also confirms that it is a blinker issue. I suppose the blinkers are flashing quickly because the mirrors are not working so the system is thinking that there is a bulb out on both mirrors.

There is a fuse for "fog lights / side markers" I've checked it multiple times and it is good. The fog lights DO work so I suppose that the fuse is working but I keep coming back to that......

frustration.....

Old 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trying to find the little metal flasher dealey-ma-bobber to see if it is still good but do not know where it is located.
it's because they aren't used anymore.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
it's because they aren't used anymore.
Exactly. In 08 Ford changed the superduties to have the computer doing the flashing, so there's no longer a mechanical flasher.

Fix your turn signals in the mirrors, or better yet, get rid of the recon lamps and replace them with the factory lamps. I've had more trouble with overpriced recon garbage... It wouldn't surprise me if you've got bad LED's in both mirrors, as recon uses really cheap LED's that don't last very long. I've replaced several in my recon LED 3rd brake light, complete waste of money!

Edit: Just reread your post. I'm betting the bcm saw a short in the recon LED's and disabled the circuit. The dealer can reset it for you so they work again. Welcome to the world of computer controlled lights!

Old 06-10-2011, 05:36 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Makes sense that they control them by the computer now not flashers, boy do I feel old.....

Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM
dadriva
New User
Ok I think I am at the point of going to the stealership as I have done every bit of troubleshooting that I can think of.

I am weary of the dealer as my truck is spartan tuned, no dpf, etc... maybe I'll just remove the dashdaq and hope they don't care enough to look underneath.

So I call and tell them to re-flash my turn signals? That just sounds funny and it seems they'll act like I have 5 eyes or something....

Oh well, we'll see how it goes. I'll report back with results..Thanks for all the insight

Old 06-10-2011, 07:23 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dadriva
Ok I think I am at the point of going to the stealership as I have done every bit of troubleshooting that I can think of.

I am weary of the dealer as my truck is spartan tuned, no dpf, etc... maybe I'll just remove the dashdaq and hope they don't care enough to look underneath.

So I call and tell them to re-flash my turn signals? That just sounds funny and it seems they'll act like I have 5 eyes or something....

Oh well, we'll see how it goes. I'll report back with results..Thanks for all the insight
You're probably outside of your 3/36 warranty anyway, so it shouldn't matter, it's just a normal repair for them, not a warranty job.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM
dadriva
New User
After a few phone calls to the local stealerships and even explaining the smart junction box idea, some dealers acted like i was crazy and did not know a thing.

I finally called a dealer that does a few more trucks than other local dealers and they agreed to take a look at it but it would be a 2 week wait as they were backlogged.

I printed up the form about the smart junction box and leds and conveniently left it on the drivers seat. 2 hours later its $50 and fixed. The reflash was the problem.

Thanks for all the help and pointing me in the right direction. I thought I was losing my mind.

Quick Reply: **Update / Fixed**Turn Signal fast blink problem / 4 ways work normal