6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

'04-6.0_Low/No Power Cold w/blue exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:58 PM
04 f350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no CEL on my end - fraud?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:00 PM
04 f350
New User
but to be fair, the code # i posted was something of an assumption-couldn't remember what the mech said but it was something like a "death code"...

Old 06-15-2011, 02:06 PM
WhiteBeast-05-powers
Senior User
The guys down at the parts store do this all the time and the mechanic across the street from them does it now. They just give it a little shot. Not much at all, just enough to help it start. I will be talking to them more about that before I actually do that. Thanks for the heads up.

I can see how that could be a serious problem if you use to much. They say the glow plugs must be unplugged or there could be serious issues. So I will be very careful with that when that time comes.

Going to be an interesting night tonight trying to get those glow plug connectors off. Then get the glow plugs out. Not much room to work down there. I had put the valve cover back on to keep things clean, but it may be coming back off to get more clearance down to the glow plugs that are just below the valve covers on the side of the head. Not much room on the passenger side of the engine due to the air heat box there at the fender. Fun Fun Fun. Got to make me one of those tools first. Already cracked one connector screwing with it last night. Don't want to break any more.

Driver's side will be much easier I think as there is more room there. I hope.

Thanks for you comments.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:21 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
Those connectors either come off or break off.the new harnesses are only like 40 bucks each if you do break them.just give a good pull and hope for the best.once you've got the oil cooler out fill the valley with oil,just enough that when you put the cooler in its about to run out.when you go to fire it up cycle your key 3 times to prime the fuel system.you shouldn't need ether to get it going after you finish.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:23 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 04 f350
no CEL on my end - fraud?
no,not at all.I thought it would throw a cel with that code,the "ficm death" code.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:46 PM
WhiteBeast-05-powers
Senior User
Smile

I will try the key cycle thing as you suggest before I try the ether. I like the idea of filling the oil cooler location. Good suggestion. Was wondering how long that would take to fill with oil once started if it was not generally full to start with.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM
04 f350
New User
cool steel - i would think so too. mine never even threw a code with a cracked oil filter base that was gushing oil; maybe nothing monitors that but sheesh, seem like it would be notable somehow. i'll post again post-mech post-trip and see if this fussy fireball flies again or not...thx.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:50 AM
WhiteBeast-05-powers
Senior User
Finish redoing all the injector seals. Pulled the glow plugs, What an effort that took to figure out. Finally clamped vise grips onto the wires and yanked them out. Managed to not really damage anything. Taped up the wires with the the harnesses just in case as I had to put the harnesses back together anyways. Turned the engine over a number of times. Pulled the key out and went and did it again just for good measure.

I now have all the glow plugs and the glow plug wire harnesses back in. Thatshould be all ready to go now, without hydraulicing the cylinders. So I am excited about that. One more thing off the list of to-dos.

Started to look at taking the turbo off to get down to the egr cooler. That is going to be fun. Got the exhaust outlet clamp off. I have loosened the intake clamp but can't seem to dis-lodge the intake clamp. Seems stuck in place. Hit it with some penetrating oil and called it quits for the night. The oil on the exhaust should make for some good smoke when it finally heats up. Gave all the other nuts/bolts a blast as well.

Guess tomorrow I am going to have to clean up all that oil on the floor from the cylinders so I can get under there and loosen the exhaust connections on the turbo. Found a good turbo removal diagram thing here in this web site. Just need to spend some more time looking at it all.

Turbo should come off tomorrow and get down to the egr cooler. New Bulletproof egr cooler should be here tomorrow. Ford shorted me the second set of stand pipes. I told them I just wanted the o-rings for the stand pipes, but they told me you have the but the assembly to get the o-rings. Well, $111 for the long one and $29 for the short one I was a little surprised. But I guess I need to get another set. I though about just getting o-rings from the local auto shop, but cannot be sure of rubber quality, fit or how it will handle the heat so I guess its a call back to Ford.

I see I need to order new turbo drain tube o-rings. Hopefully they don't have to sell me the entire drain tube as well. Seems ridiculous. I just need the o-rings don't I , or am I missing something.

Anyways, things are moving along. A total of 15.5 hours into this so far. Figure still another 10 or 15 more hours to wrap up. Big job!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:30 AM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
Take a screwdriver and put it between the turbo and the clamp and give it a twist,or give it a smack.you'll hear the clamp pop loose.you may have to do it a couple times to get the clamp to loosen all the way around.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:53 PM
WhiteBeast-05-powers
Senior User
Smile 2005 6.0L - Lack of bottom end poser and back smoke on throttle

OK, I got this truck running again. All seemed to go well. Started up without having to use the ether. So that was all good. Thanks for that tip.

I ran the truck for a while in the garage and they took it out for a drive. First time out is puffed a bit of white and blue smoke, but I figure that was probably just residue from everything previous. Burning everything out. I drove the bag off it messing around with it. The more I drove it the better it drove, but it also was warming up.

It seems to run well. However, I seem to be lacking bottom end. From a stand still when you hammer on it is creeps up and then bang it goes. Does not seem to take off from a stand still. Does not seem right to me. Its like it take a bit for the boost to build then it goes.Lots of pick up when it gets going. Turbo kicks in and away it goes. Seems like maybe a bit of turbo lag when driving. Not sure what is up when coming off the stand still.

When the truck seems to be lagging I am getting black smoke. Black smoke stops at the truck takes off.

I bought an Edge performance tuner, so I could read engine error code, when they occur. Now have the engine tuned to mode 2 Economy. Nice addition of horsepower. Will be great when towing the 5th wheel in tow mode. I have no engine code errors at all.

I need to let the whole thing cool down they start it back up and see what I get for smoke, if any.

Any thoughts on the bottom end lag and black smoke?

I will see what I can find here in this website as well.

Last edited by WhiteBeast-05-powers; 06-19-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Needed new title
Old 06-26-2011, 12:04 PM
BobsF350
Elder User
any update??

Old 06-26-2011, 12:28 PM
WhiteBeast-05-powers
Senior User
I pulledthe EBP tube and blew it out with a compressor and tried to clean up the sensor as well.

I pulled the EGR valve and cleaned it with brake fluid. That works well. Wedged the valve open and scrubbed the valves with a small wire brush. The val e looked to seat properly after cleaning.
I put it all back together and have been driving it around. Runs great . Black smoke is basically gone. Still seems to take a bit to get the psi up in the turbo before is takes off. Could be a little faster . But overall i am very happy.

My delta between ect and eot is great. Sits with a delta of 2-3 and as high as 10 climbing hills etc

Now my heater core seems to have a pin hole leak so that is the next project