Sponsored by:

Hard 1-2 shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:19 PM
FN Phat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
That's a thread hijack if I've ever seen one!

Your problem is completely different because it doesn't shift harsh all the time. Yours is shifting harsh once the OD light flashes because the transmission is in limp home mode due to an error code being stored in the PCM. You need someone with the right scan tool to read the code so we know where to start.
Thank you, sir...now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Homer Simpson
Freshman User
About to dig in...

So I have been reading this thread and I am about to attempt to fix the 1-2 shift problem.

I have previously dropped the pan, removed the accumulator body and found the Line pressure modulator valve per the Sonnex diagram and found a local Sonnex dealer for the part.

Link to doc: http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/96948-05K.pdf

Two questions:

1. How do you remove the actual valve? I was able to remove the retainer clip, but the valve did not come out and I did not want to force anything.

2. Mark Kovalsky sez "Make sure all are free and no springs are broken." How free should they be? I tried pressing them with my fingers. Some moved about 2mm and some did not move at all (without removing their clips).

Concentrating on the one in the diagram, it seems to move freely within the shaft when I remove the clip, but it does not come out.

Thanks for the help with this.

Homie

Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Oregondunes
New User
mine shifted the same with 7.3 4r100 until I turned off the programmer tranny mode.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
1. How do you remove the actual valve? I was able to remove the retainer clip, but the valve did not come out and I did not want to force anything.
After removing the clip you need to remove the plug. There is a threaded hole in the end of the plug. Screw a bolt in there so you can pull the plug out.

Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
2. Mark Kovalsky sez "Make sure all are free and no springs are broken." How free should they be? I tried pressing them with my fingers. Some moved about 2mm and some did not move at all (without removing their clips).
You are trying to move the plugs, not the valves. With a small pick you can reach in the passages to move the valve. Pushing on the plug doesn't mean anything.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Homer Simpson
Freshman User
Thanks Mark...

I see the threaded hole on the right cylinder in the diagram. I will try removing that one.

But what about the one on the left? It looks like the sonnex part is the one on the left in the diagram. I removed the "M" retainer clip, but the rest of the valve, etc., does not come out.

I'll probably run and get the parts today and tomorrow and start the work tomorrow.

Thanks for your help. cheers

Old 05-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Homer Simpson
Freshman User
Another Q...

Any idea what the size of the accumulator line pressure value is for my application? I think it is .427, but Sonnax has four sizes listed. I imagine it is either the .427 or the .500. I want to do a direct swap... no boring.

Thanks again.

-H S

Old 02-18-2022, 07:36 PM
sawyer89!
New User
2015 f250 6.7

Hi Mark. I am hoping your still around on this thread…. But I have a 2015 6.7 f250 it’s deleted. But under minimal acceleration I have a very hard shift into second. No other gear is effected but like others when I get into it it shifts perfect. But like I’m traffic and I hit the peddle a little and let off man it slams hard. Think it’s the same thing?

Old 02-18-2022, 07:56 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I don't know the trans in your truck. But I'll bet it doesn't have an accumulator, so it can't be the same problem.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:19 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
But I have a 2015 6.7 f250 it’s deleted. But under minimal acceleration I have a very hard shift into second. No other gear is effected but like others when I get into it it shifts perfect. But like I’m traffic and I hit the peddle a little and let off man it slams hard.
Assuming a 6R140, here's what the FSM's "Diagnosis by Symptom" chart says:

Shift Concerns: Harsh (some or all)
Possible Component Reference/Action 214 — ROUTINE Powertrain Control System
  • PCM (gasoline engines), Transmission Control Module (TCM) (diesel engines), external vehicle harness, transmission internal harness, Shift Solenoid A (SSA), Shift Solenoid B (SSB), Shift Solenoid C (SSC), Shift Solenoid D (SSD), Shift Solenoid E (SSE), Pressure Control Solenoid A (PCA),Turbine Shaft Speed (TSS), Output Shaft Speed (OSS) or Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT)
  • CARRY OUT the Key ON Engine OFF (KOEO) and Key ON Engine Running (KOER) self-test. READ and RECORD the DTC(s). Go to the appropriate pinpoint test for that DTC. REPAIR as required. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the vehicle system for normal operation.
Main Control
  • Main control contaminated, solenoid(s) damaged, solenoids stuck or bore damaged
  • INSPECT for damage and/or contamination. Manual valve damaged, stuck or bore damaged
  • INSPECT for damage and/or contamination.
You're going to need to use an appropriate scan tool (or comparable) to diagnose.