Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple fuse/trailerbrake/wtf is the part in the pic questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
couple fuse/trailerbrake/wtf is the part in the pic questions

1995 f150 xlt 4x4 ext cab sb
the po had a brake controller installed in the truck, by the way its wired i believe i have a factory tow package on this truck as the controller is wired into a pigtail that goes under the dash to a grey plug that lookslike a factory item (my old 04 superduty had the same type pigtail/plug under the dash ) or someone did an excelent job on the install as it has the wire loom (similar to the chinese finger trap style loom). but back to my point the brake controller doesnt work. the led on the controller doesnt light up either (the brakes on the trailer work for a different truck).
i looked at the fuse pannel at the dash and i didnt see anything mentioning trailerbrake and i dont have a manual so i dont know what the fuses under the hood are for.

anyone have a diagram for the fuses under the hood? or know of any fuses for the trailer brake controller?

anyone know where i can get a owners manual for a 1995 F150?

and lastly, does anyone know what is in the picture below? there is no wires comming out of the top there is a 2A fuse in the piece bottom left and two plugs, one goes to the end of the master cylinder the other to a harness......

Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Didn't have it done on my trucks, just unplugged it don't use cruse, looks like the recall repair for the cruse control cancel switch. (Hit the brake pedal)

They had to fuse it there because it that switch could have started a fire, key "on" somebody in it or not.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
HrdDrv
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
+2 on the recall item. My '96 has it also. My brake controller (Tekonsha) goes thru a relay from the hot side. (After market install at RV center.) What does the plug at the rear look like?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

cool, that explains that part, i found a fuse diagram and the two fuses under the hood that are 30a for trailer brakes and trailer lights are both good. any ideas on wiring for the trailer brake? ill get a pic of the wiring that makes me think its factory. especially since i have fuses in the 18 and 21 slots under the hoos which refer to trailer brake and trailer lights...

Old 06-07-2011, 09:27 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Yea its factory, most of them do have it from the get go. Not unusual even for a half ton at least one that year.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 PM
JDgreen4life
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i Have a 1994 f-250 had prolly the same tekonsha brake controller, the grey connector is part of the factory wiring so you should be set there not sure what that harness is for but i know that there is not a thing like that located in the engine compartment of my truck. check the voltage at the controller if it has a voltage its probably dead. the controller light will come on whether something is plugged into your wiring receiver or not. Hope this helps!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
This one should get it for ya>

Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

ok i got looking at the wires under the dash a little bit better and found this tag:

to i dug out the test light....
i grounded to the dash bracket
-the black wire i have + power
-the white wire gets good negative. (white to black lights up)
-red wire (test light from black 12v+ to red) light is on, when brake pedal pressed light goes out (im guessing thats correct)
-theblue test light from ground to blue (the light on the controller lights up green, no light on testlight) when brake is pressed green light goes red and test light lights up (dim to bright as pedal is pressed harder)

the only time the light on the controller is on is when the blue wire is grounded, with out trailer hooked up. with trailer it didnt llight up either, so that leads me to believe its not getting the ground when the trailer is plugged in to activate the controller?? all the trailerlights work when plugged in so i would think that means good ground.... or am i missing something? is there a different ground for this purpose?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:50 PM
JDgreen4life
New User
i would have to say try getting a different controller if its factory wiring you should be able to match the wires and almost be all set to go. unless something along the chasis is grounding out but otherwise whether your plugged into a trailer or not the brake controller light should always come on(depending on the controller).

Old 06-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

well as soon as i ground the blue wire with my test light the controller seems to to operate as it should which is whats leading me to believe theres a grounding issue with the trailer.... the lights and the brakes, do they operate off the same ground? or is the negative wire in the trailer plug where it would get its ground?

Old 06-07-2011, 10:11 PM
JDgreen4life
New User
check your seven way plug i will post a picture of the universal wiring you may have to popit apart and check how its wired up

should be looking into the plug remove the screw on the side of the plug housing and push the wires forward the plug part should come out. i would test all the plugs and make sure they work properly i know ford plug to corode out when not used and can cause bad connections

Old 06-07-2011, 10:16 PM
DPorter
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trailer brakes really need there own ground through the plug. Check your brake wires on the trailer it sounds like your controller is working but the circuit is not complete.

The magnets are often wired in series 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 if a break in the wire between the plug and brake 1 nothing will work.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

ok i went to the trailer plug and tested.
grounding on my trailerhitch
i got left turn right turn park and brake lights nothing in the center and nothing from the + terminal.

grounding from the - in the plug i got the same effect with nothing at the + terminal
tried key off, key on and truck running.

it is the factory ford plug with label for each pin on cover ford logo and all and the controller is a tekonsha voyager.

so ground seems ok just no + to the trailer

Old 06-07-2011, 10:24 PM
JDgreen4life
New User
the pos is from the brake controller you will need to press the brake and put a multimeter across the pos and negative to know if its working

there should be a voltage there when the pedal is pressed

Old 06-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by DPorter
Trailer brakes really need there own ground through the plug. Check your brake wires on the trailer it sounds like your controller is working but the circuit is not complete.

The magnets are often wired in series 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 if a break in the wire between the plug and brake 1 nothing will work.
the trailer is only a month old and the brakes work with my company truck just not my own truck

Quick Reply: couple fuse/trailerbrake/wtf is the part in the pic questions