Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Nevada Al
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really hate to do it but I have to agree with those that say the BFG AT is crap....

This was my favorite tire for a long time but only because everybody told me how good they were..... Once I started buying them I found out differently.. Out of 10 of them all but 2 had belting failures or blowouts...blowouts in the center of the tread and sometimes just driving along at a meager speed... And yes traction in mud is only slightly better than passanger car tires.. I know Lots of people like them but I would have to argue that they either don't know any better or they use them on the highway pretty much exclusively or maybe they just want to feel good about the 1000 bucks they spent on tires. .... If your just going to be running around town or need a tire to be able to drive winter highways well they probably work good for that...But so do lots of other cheaper options.. I've talked to several buddies that are mechs at the mines around here and one of them told me flat out that he'd be fired if he were to order BFG ATs for one of their trucks... nobody uses them,,,,

The past few years I put anywhere from 5-8 thousand miles all off road/dirt road on one of my pickups every winter... Since I have switched to the Destination M/T I have not had a single tire issue.... And traction is truly night and day... On my F250 I have some Kumo ATs and for light trails and highway/winter driving I have no complaints...good price for what it is... at least equivilent to the BFGs and sand traction is certainly better...

Just my 2cents

Old 06-08-2011, 02:03 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Nevada Al
I really hate to do it but I have to agree with those that say the BFG AT is crap....

This was my favorite tire for a long time but only because everybody told me how good they were..... Once I started buying them I found out differently.. Out of 10 of them all but 2 had belting failures or blowouts...blowouts in the center of the tread and sometimes just driving along at a meager speed... And yes traction in mud is only slightly better than passanger car tires.. I know Lots of people like them but I would have to argue that they either don't know any better or they use them on the highway pretty much exclusively or maybe they just want to feel good about the 1000 bucks they spent on tires. .... If your just going to be running around town or need a tire to be able to drive winter highways well they probably work good for that...But so do lots of other cheaper options.. I've talked to several buddies that are mechs at the mines around here and one of them told me flat out that he'd be fired if he were to order BFG ATs for one of their trucks... nobody uses them,,,,

The past few years I put anywhere from 5-8 thousand miles all off road/dirt road on one of my pickups every winter... Since I have switched to the Destination M/T I have not had a single tire issue.... And traction is truly night and day... On my F250 I have some Kumo ATs and for light trails and highway/winter driving I have no complaints...good price for what it is... at least equivilent to the BFGs and sand traction is certainly better...

Just my 2cents

BFG A/T is to DD, as Thornbirds are to wheelers.

I too tried out bfg A/Ts because everyone bragged them up. I had a belt slip that formed a huge bulge in the tread. They had a lot of tread left, but I got a full new set of tires instead of replacing one.

At the moment I run Faulken Wild Peak A/Ts, they could use some sipping for the snow and ice, but have a 50,000 mile tread life, and are super quiet on the street, and do altight off road.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Jim_Rockford
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BFG's are good, but you are paying for a name , Duratracs, OK, but once again, you are paying for a big name, I have had 2 sets of grabber AT's and I can tell you for the price they can't be beat, read the reveiws on tire rack, They blow the BFG's out of the water, i have BFG AT's on my wifes ZR2 , had 2 sets and the next set will be generals.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:17 AM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim_Rockford
Duratracs, OK, but once again, you are paying for a big name
What you're paying for is a quality American-Made tire. Not something made in some third-world country. Just thought I would point out these are made in the good ol' U.S. of A.

You should have watched the poor b@stards trying to mount those LT235/85R16's on a 7" factory rim. I've had BFG A/T's in load range E before and they mount up like a car tire-nice and easy. These Duratracs made them work for every last nickel they charged me. Recommended rim size, too.

Duratracs are stiff enough to give a secure, solid ride on the freeway, even while towing. Not a mushy, pucker the seat type of ride like a BFG always gave me. Off road, they shine. Mud clears very easy, grabs very good in sand or gravel. Hollister Hills SVRP was a blast in this truck w/ the Goodyear tires on it.

5 load range E 235/85R16's, mounted, lifetime balance, out the door with tax were under $1,000.00

Tire Rack currently says $143 for 235/75R15's.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 AM
IrishChef
Junior User
Give Treadwright tires a look...been using them since the '90s.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:29 PM
fordman1090
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cooper ATR

We have them on our LR Discovery and they are great tires. The tread design and siphing is great. I was astonished by how well they have done in the snow and ice and they hold their own in the dirt and mud(Its not a MT or bogger). On top of being a good AT, they are quiet and incredibly smooth on the road as well, and they havent shown any dry rot or signs of wear.

In addition, they are heavy duty tires, so they have more plies and thicker sidewall and should hold up to use under a work or plow truck too.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by raystankewitz
What you're paying for is a quality American-Made tire. Not something made in some third-world country. Just thought I would point out these are made in the good ol' U.S. of A.

You should have watched the poor b@stards trying to mount those LT235/85R16's on a 7" factory rim. I've had BFG A/T's in load range E before and they mount up like a car tire-nice and easy. These Duratracs made them work for every last nickel they charged me. Recommended rim size, too.

Duratracs are stiff enough to give a secure, solid ride on the freeway, even while towing. Not a mushy, pucker the seat type of ride like a BFG always gave me. Off road, they shine. Mud clears very easy, grabs very good in sand or gravel. Hollister Hills SVRP was a blast in this truck w/ the Goodyear tires on it.

5 load range E 235/85R16's, mounted, lifetime balance, out the door with tax were under $1,000.00

Tire Rack currently says $143 for 235/75R15's.
Agreed. Goodyear is as far as i know the ONLY american made tire. I just bought a set of Kelly TRSs(goodyear company) and are supposidly the same compound as the Dura tracs

Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Duct Tape Racing
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I buy uniroyal liberators for my 94 f150 2wd from wal-mart and i love them lol

dont hate, theyre $500 for 4 31x10.50x15's and ive had them for 2 years now and they still have life

Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
I purchased General AT2's last year and have been very happy with them. They work great in the snow, they are pretty quiet, they balanced very well, they handle great in the rain. I've used BFG A/T's before and now I wouldn't go back, these Generals are really nice, and made in the USA.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 PM
ravens fan
Senior User
i know alot of ppl dont like cooper but i have mastercraft m/t which is a mud tire,,, they have beeen on for about a year and a half and have very little wear and no problems plus pretty good in mud and snow

Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 PM
hntnnut
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Agreed. Goodyear is as far as i know the ONLY american made tire. I just bought a set of Kelly TRSs(goodyear company) and are supposidly the same compound as the Dura tracs

Nope Hercules are also american made.

Richard

Old 06-10-2011, 01:40 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by hntnnut

Richard

Hate to break it to you guys, but no matter the tire company, they are bound to have a tire line that says "made in china" , "made in Korea" or symular on the sidewall.

Not all of the Hercules tires are made in the USA, I'm sure not all tires branded Goodyear are made here.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:23 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by hntnnut

Richard
When you quote someone please take the time and edit the quote to delete the pics. It takes up too much space copying pics

Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Jim_Rockford
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the Generals AT2's are made in the good ol U.S.of A. which is why I bought em, goodyear can go **** themselves. Check tirerack, it tells you the country or origin the tire in the size you are looking for is made in. Some sizes are made in canada and some in mexico.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:45 PM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim_Rockford
Most of the Generals AT2's are made in the good ol U.S.of A. which is why I bought em, goodyear can go **** themselves. Check tirerack, it tells you the country or origin the tire in the size you are looking for is made in. Some sizes are made in canada and some in mexico.
My Duratracs, size 235/85R16 load range E, say "Made In U.S.A." right on the sidewall. By the way, all sizes of the Duratracs are USA made.

General Grabber AT2's however do not fare as well. Almost one-half of the 45 sizes listed are made in Mexico, France, Portugal or the Czech Republic.

Thought I would point that out to get the facts straight.

And for the record, my brother and I have both had some type of aggressive tread General tire at one time or another. The ones I had were on 1970 F250 4X4. They wore kinda quick, 25K miles, more or less IIRC, clogged up in the Hollister Hills mud a bit too easy but they were OK in the snow.

Quick Reply: Tires