Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Surprising - V10's vs diesels at campground

Old 06-07-2011, 02:39 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Surprising - V10's vs diesels at campground

My wife and I stayed at an Oregon State Park campground while attending a family reunion last weekend. Walking around the campground, I saw only 2 diesel SD's, one V8 gasser, and at least 6 V10's.
That was surprising to me when you consider how many diesels are sold versus the V10. And how "common knowledge" says you "need" a diesel to haul heavy trailers.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:41 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Are you talking all pickup trucks or are motorhomes mixed in there?

Old 06-07-2011, 04:43 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
That doesn't surprise me very much at all actually. Most of the PSDs were sold as fleet trucks and more "people" bought the V10 because a lot of people dont want to pay more for diesel, know that diesels are more expensive to work on (in general), and some dont have access to diesel. Most of the people I know who have large trucks, either have a Gas V8 or a V10.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:44 PM
mikesmayhem
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is pretty surprising. Where I am in MN I would say I see 50 diesels to 1 V10. Most of the people I talk to at campgrounds don't seem to know very much about the V10 and just assume that I made the mistake. Little do they know of the power of the V10, even my '01.....

Old 06-07-2011, 05:13 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
Are you talking all pickup trucks or are motorhomes mixed in there?
Just pickups. Many motorhomes (especially class A's) are not badged with engine types.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by mwsF250
Just pickups. Many motorhomes (especially class A's) are not badged with engine types.
I'm not arguing. Most arnt. But iv seen some badged with V10

Old 06-07-2011, 06:15 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
The fella I camp with has a V10, and in all but extreme cases he can run right with me! (my camper is 7ft longer, with a super slide, so I am sure that helps him some) But his maintanance, is literally changing oil! I cant believe MORE people dont run the V-10, if they insist on Ford!

P.S. My truck is a 6.0, so along with oil, I get FICM, Oil rail plugs, fuel pressure springs, $70 oil changes, $40 fuel filters! I cant believe there is not more ppl runnin V10's!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:52 AM
p-nut
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
That doesn't surprise me very much at all actually. Most of the PSDs were sold as fleet trucks and more "people" bought the V10 because a lot of people dont want to pay more for diesel, know that diesels are more expensive to work on (in general), and some dont have access to diesel. Most of the people I know who have large trucks, either have a Gas V8 or a V10.
Where do you come up with this stuff?

"Most PSDs are sold as fleet trucks"???? Thats almost wrong to a point. There might be a whole lot of them sold as fleet trucks, but not "most". In comparison, you're looking at about 80% of all the super duty trucks sold are PSD. The last 12-15% are 5.4s and even fewer are V10s.

I live in D.C. and see a ton of Super duty trucks around every day. I see literally thousands of PSD trucks. Many 5.4 trucks but I've run across only three V10s in the three years I've been here. One at a dealer, one work truck and one parked on base. I had a salesman (personal friend) at a Ford dealer in AZ tell me that for every V10 truck they sold, 9 PSDs were sold before it. He told me it was simply because they "instilled" a sense of reliability in the PSD name. Not that it was actually a good engine or anything else which it may or may not be. They just pushed it as being the best and nothing else was worth having.

Ford dealers tried to force the PSD on people, proclaiming the gas engines are junk and not worth the purchase. They believed it, so did the public after having a salesman assure them they made the best choice in a psd. Sure, it might be a good engine (sub-par when compared to other diesel engines IMHO) but most of the time, its not really required.

That is amazing though, I never see any V10s at campgrounds other than in motorhomes.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:57 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by p-nut
Where do you come up with this stuff?

"Most PSDs are sold as fleet trucks"???? Thats almost wrong to a point. There might be a whole lot of them sold as fleet trucks, but not "most". In comparison, you're looking at about 80% of all the super duty trucks sold are PSD. The last 12-15% are 5.4s and even fewer are V10s.

I live in D.C. and see a ton of Super duty trucks around every day. I see literally thousands of PSD trucks. Many 5.4 trucks but I've run across only three V10s in the three years I've been here. One at a dealer, one work truck and one parked on base. I had a salesman (personal friend) at a Ford dealer in AZ tell me that for every V10 truck they sold, 9 PSDs were sold before it. He told me it was simply because they "instilled" a sense of reliability in the PSD name. Not that it was actually a good engine or anything else which it may or may not be. They just pushed it as being the best and nothing else was worth having.

Ford dealers tried to force the PSD on people, proclaiming the gas engines are junk and not worth the purchase. They believed it, so did the public after having a salesman assure them they made the best choice in a psd. Sure, it might be a good engine (sub-par when compared to other diesel engines IMHO) but most of the time, its not really required.

That is amazing though, I never see any V10s at campgrounds other than in motorhomes.
There seems to be a big difference depending on where you live. I know about 6 people with with the v10 in my little town and only 1 with the psd (I'm only talking about 99-07ish...)

I know that PSD far outsells the v10 but over here the PSD is almost always in a fleet/contractor/work truck and the personal truck and toy haulers have the v10s. Like I said, thats just here.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:49 AM
Boss08v10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikesmayhem
That is pretty surprising. Where I am in MN I would say I see 50 diesels to 1 V10. Most of the people I talk to at campgrounds don't seem to know very much about the V10 and just assume that I made the mistake. Little do they know of the power of the V10, even my '01.....
What he said and I am in MN too.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
For some reason Oregon has been a V10 friendly area, we bought our hard to find 2000 V10 DRW 2X4 off the lot at Crater Lake Ford in Medford when we were out there on vacation.

Denny

Old 07-27-2011, 11:21 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

I think the v10 is also more often in motorhomes because for the Joe-shmo couple times a year traveler the v10 makes more sense.

As evidence of this look at current v10 applications. One of the few ways to buy a v10 now is on a motorhome chassis

Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 AM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
I think the v10 is also more often in motorhomes because for the Joe-shmo couple times a year traveler the v10 makes more sense.

As evidence of this look at current v10 applications. One of the few ways to buy a v10 now is on a motorhome chassis
We spend most of the year traveling and living in CGs around the country and there are way more gassers motor homes than diesels among extended and fulltime travelers.

Denny

Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by rvpuller
We spend most of the year traveling and living in CGs around the country and there are way more gassers motor homes than diesels among extended and fulltime travelers.

Denny
Thats because Ford uses the logic I used. They just build many many many more gas motorhomes than diesel, so if you want a diesel motorhome you can get one you just have to look harder or order it new.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:44 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mwsF250
My wife and I stayed at an Oregon State Park campground while attending a family reunion last weekend. Walking around the campground, I saw only 2 diesel SD's, one V8 gasser, and at least 6 V10's.
That was surprising to me when you consider how many diesels are sold versus the V10. And how "common knowledge" says you "need" a diesel to haul heavy trailers.
Which park did you stay at?
I usually see many more PSD's than V10's when I am camping, and in my area there are probably 4 times as many PSD's. Not that most people need the diesel, but it is a status symbol around here, kind of like 38" tires and "TapOut" stickers in the back window.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Surprising - V10's vs diesels at campground