Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-2015 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Senior User

dixoncity is starting off with a positive reputation.
"Trailer Disconnected"

I towed a small utility (ATV) trailer yesterday. I know it's not much weight, but it sure was more enjoyable than towing with my old Dodge. My trailer only uses a 4 wire connector, (no trailer brakes), and found out that, apparently, your trailer must have trailer brakes in order for the vehicle to recognize if a trailer is connected or not. I was kinda disappointed, thinking I could track my milage towing with the small trailer, which I do a lot of. I verified this through the owners manual, but please let me know if I'm mistaken.

2011 F350, 6.7 PSD, White Platinum Tri Coat, SRW,FX4, Dura Flaps,Bakflip F1, Bed Matt, EZ Down 903, Infinity Kappa 982.9cf, Bed Lights,aux backup lights, Carli 4.5 inch Back Country Lift, full rear spring pack, Viair 1007 onboard air, Wolo "The Chief Air Horn", Built 3/11, Purchased 5/14/11, Still Smiling!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Senior User

AlexWV is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixoncity View Post
I towed a small utility (ATV) trailer yesterday. I know it's not much weight, but it sure was more enjoyable than towing with my old Dodge. My trailer only uses a 4 wire connector, (no trailer brakes), and found out that, apparently, your trailer must have trailer brakes in order for the vehicle to recognize if a trailer is connected or not. I was kinda disappointed, thinking I could track my milage towing with the small trailer, which I do a lot of. I verified this through the owners manual, but please let me know if I'm mistaken.
Yes, same thing here. It doesn't think a trailer with 4 pin connector
is connected.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Junior User

rljett is starting off with a positive reputation.
If the only way for the truck to show a trailer is connected is through the brake controller, what if you try this...

Build a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter. Take the output for the trailer brake and connect it to a simple lamp. The truck will see a connection and when you apply the brakes, the output from the brake controller will light up the lamp. The lamp brightness will vary with the output from the brake controller. Maybe there is something else you ca put online instead of the lamp that can complete the circuit.

Mods: Line-X bed liner, B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch, Firestone Ride-Rite air springs
Old 06-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Senior User

dixoncity is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks, I'll mess around with it and let you know.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Junior User

marine57_4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i pull a 16 foot flatbed utility trailer with electric brakes(7 pin connector) and i still get the "trailer disconnected" warning. i have programmed both the 5er and utility trailers in the system. when i pulled the utility i did not go to the program to let the computer know that i had connected the trailer. maybe this is why i got the warning. anyone?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:50 AM
New User

Spikebox is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am having the same issue.....hooked up to my 14' cargo trailer with 7-pin connector and display is showing trailer disconnected??

I went through all the menus and added and named the trailer, checked the manual and still showing trailer disconnected....

Anyone have any more suggestions on how to correct this?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Senior User

Double-Trouble is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check your connections inside the trailer plug. I had the same issue with my car trailer. If I pulled the plug out and reinsert it or sometimes just jiggled the connection it would stop telling me it's disconnected. I finally changed the plug, redid the ground on the trailer and the problem has stopped.

2011 F250 6.7 Lariat w/all the toys.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Postmaster

Hdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputation
I have found on some of my trailers. if i just put a small bungy around trailer plug and hook to truck plug bracket, it fixes that concern. I dont think trailer connecter fits tight enough. or other way around. Now this may not be your problem but it takes care of mine.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Senior User

brightideaselectric is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a enclosed cargo trailer that I use daily for work and one day I started getting the "trailer disconnected" warning and it ended up being an issue in the electric brakes themselves. I had never serviced them so I just bought complete new assemblies and put them on and the problem was gone.

Jeremy
Old 08-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Senior User

sledhead_24_7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine57_4 View Post
i pull a 16 foot flatbed utility trailer with electric brakes(7 pin connector) and i still get the "trailer disconnected" warning. i have programmed both the 5er and utility trailers in the system. when i pulled the utility i did not go to the program to let the computer know that i had connected the trailer. maybe this is why i got the warning. anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikebox View Post
I am having the same issue.....hooked up to my 14' cargo trailer with 7-pin connector and display is showing trailer disconnected??

I went through all the menus and added and named the trailer, checked the manual and still showing trailer disconnected....

Anyone have any more suggestions on how to correct this?
I was having the same thing with one of our trailers. It turned out to be a connection where they joined 3 wires together for the trailer brake system, it was the junction that went to the emergency cable actuated brake deal in case the trailer falls off the ball. Cut out the joint and problem solved. I have also had the " trailer disconnected when a trailer brake wire is broken at the brake.

I would suggest that you go over your trailers with a fine toothed comb looking for wiring issues.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Senior User

Rick Cargo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My truck won't recognize my bass boat. I use a 7 pin round plug adapter that accepts the boats 5 pin flat plug.
Professional Outdoorsman with Team Browning
2013 Arctic Cat Wildcat 'X'
Old 08-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Postmaster

Sgt93 has much to be proud ofSgt93 has much to be proud ofSgt93 has much to be proud ofSgt93 has much to be proud ofSgt93 has much to be proud ofSgt93 has much to be proud ofSgt93 has much to be proud ofSgt93 has much to be proud of
@SSgt93 sgt_93 ssgt93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Cargo View Post
My truck won't recognize my bass boat. I use a 7 pin round plug adapter that accepts the boats 5 pin flat plug.
Same here, drives me nuts as I wish it would work.

2011 Ford F250 Lariat 6.7 PS CC 4x4 SB with a bunch of crap SOLD.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Senior User

Rick Cargo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do you think the truck has to recognize the electric braking system or a current charge being pulled from the alternators?
Professional Outdoorsman with Team Browning
2013 Arctic Cat Wildcat 'X'
Old 08-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Senior User

Double-Trouble is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Cargo View Post
Do you think the truck has to recognize the electric braking system or a current charge being pulled from the alternators?

That is what it sounds like. With the other post commenting on brake issues solving the problem.

2011 F250 6.7 Lariat w/all the toys.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Elder User

cummins cowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
it too bad the truck doesn't automatically go into tow haul and the mirrors extend when the trailer is hooked up.

Most Wanted Disaster Services

Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
150, 2011, brake, connected, diesel2010, disconnect, disconnected, dodge, f150, f250, f350, ford, trailer, truck, warning