Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 F-150 5.0, Still wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:36 PM
ernstibe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 F-150 5.0, Still wont start

Well the weather here is finally nice the problem with the system not energizing is fixed bad ground, but the truck still wont start, 1st I have checked the ignition coil with a bulb it flashes when the key is turned and engine turns over, I still need to check for spark at the plugs but a friend was helping awhile back and got shocked so they should be good, I have check for fuel at the releif valve it squirts out when released so should have fuel going to the injectors even if not enough pressure it should at least start, when the key is turned engine turns over like a champ you hear the blomp blomp (bad sound effect) like it wants to start it just dont fire off. then second I have now reaction to the dash the gauges do not move when the key is turned on and off no movement I have power to the dash cause dash lights come on fuse'e are good, dont know what else??? any help would be great I am going to pick up an ignition module that goes to the distriutor see if that helps.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by ernstibe
Well the weather here is finally nice the problem with the system not energizing is fixed bad ground, but the truck still wont start, 1st I have checked the ignition coil with a bulb it flashes when the key is turned and engine turns over, I still need to check for spark at the plugs but a friend was helping awhile back and got shocked so they should be good, I have check for fuel at the releif valve it squirts out when released so should have fuel going to the injectors even if not enough pressure it should at least start, when the key is turned engine turns over like a champ you hear the blomp blomp (bad sound effect) like it wants to start it just dont fire off. then second I have now reaction to the dash the gauges do not move when the key is turned on and off no movement I have power to the dash cause dash lights come on fuse'e are good, dont know what else??? any help would be great I am going to pick up an ignition module that goes to the distriutor see if that helps.
That statement in bold above is incorrect. You need something in the 25-30 PSI or higher range for the engine to try and start. Pressing that pressure relief valve does not prove much of anything. The difference between 10 PSI and 45 PSI to the naked eye is not measurable.

Same can be said for the friend shocking statement. The difference between 5000 volts and 40000 volts feels the same, it hurts like hell. 5KV will not fire off a fuel/air mixture, but 40KV will.