1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"POP" noise when hitting the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
"POP" noise when hitting the brakes

Looking for opinions and/or actual experience with ball joint noise:

Got a POP noise when I hit the brakes. I have to apply some pressure for it to make the sound. Does it once when going forward. Doesn't do it again until I drive a few minutes, then it does it again.

If I go back and forth between reverse and drive, it does it every time as I hit the brakes, but only once until reversing direction again.

Takes some moderate pedal pressure to make the noise.

If I turn the steering wheel to either side, it doesn't make the noise.

I've gone over the brakes, nothing there is wrong, and besides it wouldn't go away when I turn the wheel.

Nothing is loose in terms of tie-rod ends, wheel bearings, nothing.

It's not bad enough yet to be able to see movement in the ball joints when the wheels are off the ground.

IS THIS THE BALL JOINTS?

(I know, as a DIY shadetree mechanic, I really DO know that it's the ball joints. Just looking for some experiences from other members to make absolutely sure it's most likely the problem and not some other dumb thing)

Old 06-06-2011, 07:34 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
How are you checking for movement in the ball joints? Just by shaking the tire or by using a pry bar on a block for some leverage? No pops when going over any bumps or potholes?

Are you sure it's not the slip joint that needs grease? Or an issue with the u-joints, carrier bearing, or driveshaft(s)?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 PM
swinehart07
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you look over the sway-bar links? From what you are describing it makes me think of the sway-bar. Most, again not always but most of the time when you unload and reload a ball joint is when you will get that popping sound (going over bumps) But I have had ones that were worn so bad that when you turned the wheel they binded and popped.

I side with F350-6, make sure to use a pry bar. I would recommend taking the tire off. The last set of ball joints I replaced was last summer and I had a horrible grinding sound when I turned the wheels. I checked for up and down movement and it seemed solid. But I knew it was the ball joint, I could feel the vibration with my hand at the joint when the wheel turned. After I removed the tire, rotor, and hub bearing I found that the hub could move side to side about 3/16" on the lower ball joint!

With how much our trucks weigh, it's amazing how the smallest abnormal movement can make so much noise.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Had my son push the brakes as hard as he could with the engine running, and put a long bar between the studs on the hub and tried to move the entire assembly, because it's rotationally related. I also whacked the tires with a sledge hammer in all directions. Nothing.

Funny thing is, I just put Energy Suspension bushings on the front sway bar.

The key thing is, it happens ONCE when applying the brakes, until it's driven a few minutes (bumps).

And, if I stop somewhere where it's safe, and go in reverse, hit the brakes, it does it ONCE even when repeatedly doing it in reverse. Then go into drive, it does it ONCE. Go back into reverse, it does it ONCE. Back to drive? Does it again - ONCE.

If it was sway bar end-links, it would do it every time.

It's not driveshaft or otherwise driveline related, it only happens when applying the BRAKES. And it takes a moderate amount of pedal pressure to make it do it.

I do not feel anything in the brake pedal, nor the steering wheel, I only HEAR it and feel it through the floor (chassis).

I noticed that it doesn't want to stay straight on the highway anymore. It's either left or right (like it lost castor on one wheel). Yesterday and today, it's not making the noise whatsoever, and it drives straight on the highway.

A ball joint has the ball, the socket, and an intermediate shell. I am theorizing that the shell has a worn spot and it rotates sometimes so that the castor is not effected when it's not in the right spot.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:12 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
I'm thinking you're over-thinking this. Just for grins, when's the last time you greased your slip joint? One time clunk sounds after going into D or R are nothing new around here. I think we even refer to it as the Super Duty Clunk.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:49 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Is this thing on? IT'S ONLY WHEN I HIT THE BRAKES!

I know the slip-joint noise, had it brand-new, PTFE greased it then, and twice more when I've R&R'd the rear u-joint

never had a slip-joint make noise when I hit the brakes

Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
Leaf spring bushings? A buddy of mine had an old suburban that was getting a "clunk" from hitting the brakes, and starting up from a stop. Turned out the spring bushings were bad. Just another idea...

Old 06-08-2011, 12:33 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Checked 'em...

Not that it can't be them, but ... I used a pry bar and they wouldn't move whatsoever.

The pop hasn't happened in the past two-three days now, and it's driving straight on the highway. Noticably different than when it's popping.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 PM
drey04
Posting Guru
Body mounts?

Old 06-08-2011, 01:43 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Wouldn't that do it every time I hit the brakes? Or at the very least, happen more often?

Old 06-08-2011, 04:22 PM
drey04
Posting Guru
Good point. Yeah, just trying to narrow things down.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:49 PM
ad326
Junior User
what mine does

My truck is doing it now, and I traced it to the ps shock. Doesnt do it first thing in the morning but after a few minutes driving it will squeek and pop when brakes are applied or go over a speed bump or something like that. Off the subject, do I get the 5100's for a leveling kit or go with 5200's?

Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
This does do it unless I hit the brakes. Otherwise, there MIGHT be a slight noise when I hit a really bad bump, but overall it's very loud when braking.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:17 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Originally Posted by Krewat
Is this thing on? IT'S ONLY WHEN I HIT THE BRAKES!

I know the slip-joint noise, had it brand-new, PTFE greased it then, and twice more when I've R&R'd the rear u-joint

never had a slip-joint make noise when I hit the brakes
I guess being a moderator means you can act like an *** when people are trying to help diagnose your truck problems.

Seeing as you stated in your first post "I really DO know that it's the ball joints", why don't you just replace them and be done with it?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by akaFrankCastle
I guess being a moderator means you can act like an *** when people are trying to help diagnose your truck problems.

Seeing as you stated in your first post "I really DO know that it's the ball joints", why don't you just replace them and be done with it?
Yes, because unlike driveline noises, ball joints ALWAYS make noises only when you hit the brakes.

Art, I'm not sure why you don't believe the driveline can make any noise when hitting the brakes, but if the ball joints don't work out for you let us know.

And as far as this thing being on. If you would answer the questions the first time around, we wouldn't have to repeat them.

Quick Reply: "POP" noise when hitting the brakes