1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Sea foam ,, Will it help

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Dutter
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sea foam ,, Will it help

I was wanting to run it though my hole intake system and i was wondering if id feel any difference or better MPG. Its a 4.0 with 180k miles and its never had a sea foam, but the oil was always changed. Because i was thinking about giving it a try, but im goin to have my brother do it because hes done it a million times

Old 06-06-2011, 08:39 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Doing the SeaFoam through the intake side will dirty up the plugs, oil & filter.

Maybe consider adding it to the gas tank in the specified doseage/oz-per gallon & doing the daily spirited driving routene the decarb TSB calls for during the treated tank & see how it goes. This way takes a little longer, but doesn't foul up the plugs, oil, or filter as bad as ingesting it through an intake vacuum line.

Better still imo, do a 20oz treatment in the gas tank before filling up, with Techron Concentrate Plus, so you get good mixing, then do the daily spirited driving sequence part of Fords 4.0L decarb TSB, which is posted in the Tech Info thread, during the treated tank & run most of the treated tank out.

If you can find & use Chevron, Texaco, or CalTex gas, which already has some Techron in it, along with the additional 20 oz Techron, it'll raise the treat rate 10X above the pump gas alone & will likely get the job done in one tank.

I have had better & longer lasting results decarbing my 4.0L using the Techron & the daily high rpm blow it out part of Fords decarb TSB, than the Dealer got using the 3 cans of PM-3 & high rpm that the Decarb TSB calls for & with Techron in the gas, plugs, oil & filter don't get fouled up & there isn't any risk of applying/sucking in, too much liquid treatment too fast through a vacuum line & hydro-locking the engine & bending something important up, like there is when ingesting a liquid decarbon treatment through an intake side vacuum source.

More thoughts for pondering, let us know how it goes.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
If you run Seafoam as a crankcase oil cleaner, your next job will be dropping the pan to clear the oil pick-up screen, because you have little or no oil pressure from debris/sludge on the screen.
As a intake cleaner on a high mile rig.........no, pass......Too many problems relating to fouled plugs, valves.
In the fuel system, maybe.

I would pass on it entirely on a high mile rig.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Rackster
Senior User
Seafoam thru Intake Vacuum

Thanks for the question Dutter and the response PawPaw. I was considering this a couple of weeks back and wasn't sure of the results; good or bad. I see the YouTube videos, but things aren't always as they appear. I got air in the steering pump and reservoir repeating steps I saw on there. While a good source of information, you have to weigh what you see with what you read; I learned an important lesson on a minor activity.

I took PawPaws route regarding adding it to the tank and noticed an improvement. Although I didn’t feel the hesitation (gradual decline I think), after the application I noticed a smoother and improved acceleration. It could be that I am observing fulfillment of prophecy to some degree, but from the seat of my pants, it seems to be better. I will give PawPaw’s home cooking recipe on the next go around…could be a recipe to pass on!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Dutter
Elder User
Alright thanks, So basically put the sea foam in the gas tank and then fill her up with some chevron gas

Old 06-06-2011, 09:42 PM
bratman2
Senior User
If you are trying to do a maintenance dosage or such I would high dose it. Whole 16oz can to maybe a 1/8 tank of gas. Put 30-40 miles on it then fill it up. I have used it many times for top end cleaner without any issues what so ever but that's me. My 87 Brat has 220k and had 165k the first time I seafoamed it. But I had already planned on oil and plug change. I will say this much for that first treatment. It allowed me to start running 87 octane without spark knock were before I could not. I have done an annual on the Brat ever year since and do not replacing anything but the oil. I high dosed my Ranger with the 1/8 tank like listed above. But it only has 55 k now. I also do my bike the same way every spring. Seafoam is a good cleaner but not miracle in the can. Never put it in my oil and don't think I have a reason to.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Dutter
Elder User
alright yeah thats pretty much what my brother said, And i think ill run it through my intake manifold. Because he said it would only plug up my plug if they were old and it was really dirty, and sence iv ran EFI cleaner a lot that itd do me more good through the intake, but i may just do both

Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
If you decide to have the engine ingest the SeaFoam through an intake vacuum line, maybe consider installing something like a sports inflation needle on the end of the hose going into the SeaFoam can, so that it's small holes restrict how much can be sucked in when you dunk the hose into the SeaFoam. This way you can maybe cut the risk of letting it have too much too quick & hydro-locking the engine.

If you do the vacuum line ingesting, plan on doing at least an engine oil & filter change afterward, as some of the SeaFoam & crud it loosens up is likely to end up in the crankcase, especially so if you do the 15 min soak routine SeaFoam calls for.
Techron in the tank would be less expensive, as you wouldn't have to change the oil & filter after the treatment, to get the same or better results, as one of the autoparts chain stores has Techron on a bogo deal this month, so the 20oz can would tally about $6 each, a danged good price for that size.

More thoughts to ponder, let us know how it goes.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Dutter
Elder User
Alrightty i will

Old 06-07-2011, 05:01 AM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pawpaw
If you decide to have the engine ingest the SeaFoam through an intake vacuum line, maybe consider installing something like a sports inflation needle on the end of the hose going into the SeaFoam can, so that it's small holes restrict how much can be sucked in when you dunk the hose into the SeaFoam. This way you can maybe cut the risk of letting it have too much too quick & hydro-locking the engine.
or you could just go to seafoam's website and get the proper directions there.
as per their directions, don't dip hose in can, slowly pour liquid from the can into the vacuum hose
http://www.seafoamsales.com/gasoline-engine-faqs.html

Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 PM
bazzman1953
Elder User
It might take a week or two, but please post the results and either close or continue the thread, thanks. A a multi poster... you understand.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Dutter
Elder User
Ok well i did the sea foam today, and what i did was i added it to the throttle body and the brake booster, id run it and put some of it in then, turn it off for like 5 minits then started it back up and reved the motor i did this about 3 times and i worked really well and yes did smoke up my front yard pretty good and i also put about %25 of in in my gas, And when i took it down the road, i defiantly felt the motor ride alot smoother, not to much in power but was smoother, and il probly do it one more time when i change my oil in like 900 miles

Old 06-10-2011, 08:40 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Old93junk
If you run Seafoam as a crankcase oil cleaner, your next job will be dropping the pan to clear the oil pick-up screen, because you have little or no oil pressure from debris/sludge on the screen.
As a intake cleaner on a high mile rig.........no, pass......Too many problems relating to fouled plugs, valves.
In the fuel system, maybe.

I would pass on it entirely on a high mile rig.
damn...wish id known that before i did it to both my ranger and the wife's S-blazer. figured 500 miles before the oil change would be a good thing. hope it all drains out...might just change the oil tommarrow.