1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ongoing Master cylinder crisis!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:20 PM
SPEEDKING83
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ongoing Master cylinder crisis!!!

Hi everyone! I wanted to impart to you another question about the master cylinder issue that has been on going since. I got the new kits for the cylinders and replaced them both, cleaning and scrubbing the casings thoroughly. After I reinstalled the clutch cylinder, I finally was able to get fluid moving through the line, so I closed the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder. For some strange reason, I cant prime it. I dont know if Im doing something wrong, or if the slave cylinder is bad. I cant tell of a leak anywhere. I was hoping you could shed some light on this for me if have an idea why this might ben happening. Also, the cylinder kits were both for the clutch cylinder, not one for the clutch and one for the brake. LMC didnt have a kit for brake cylinder, so I used a clutch cylinder kit for the brake. Havent tried it yet; focusing on the clutch at this point. Is that not an ok thing to do?

Old 06-05-2011, 06:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Nope, brakes and clutch are two different animals. If you just used the piston seal and it was the right size, you might be OK.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 PM
BBKtech2
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to bench bleed the master cylinders before they will pump fluid. Take a piece of steel line or rig up a hose that will connect to the master cylinder out port and route it into the resivoir. Fill the resiv about 3/4's full of fluid and make sure the line/hose is in the fluid, pump the cylinder in slow complete strokes with a long phillips screwdriver or something and watch the air bubbles come out of the line/hose and into the resivior, when it is just pumping fluid, no bubbles, install on truck and proceed bleeding the system.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what do you need brakes for ???? isn't that why your truck and all the other vehicles have bumpers to stop each other's forward momentum ........ like he said bench bleed the mc first then bleed the system out .

Old 06-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by SPEEDKING83
I used a clutch cylinder kit for the brake. Is that an ok thing to do?
NO! ....................No new residual check valve for the brake MC, right?

I got your message, Thanks.

Two things, if you don’t put your year and model of your truck in your signature line then you should included it in each new message because members that have not read your previous message have no idea what vehicle you have.

In regards to the brakes and more, I think that a shop manual would be of great benefit to you at this time, they usually come with illustrations and step by step instructions.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in the lmc parts book the kit numbers are the same for the clutch and the brake..the picture shows the residual valve ..how is it going..sorry I took so long to get back ..I burned up my wife's truck over the weekend ..don't worry ..just a chev..