1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody use this ipod connector??

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:43 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody use this ipod connector??

I have the 99 f250 with the stock unit and I am real close to buying this USA SPEC iPodŽ Interface Connects your iPod to select Ford factory radios at Crutchfield.com. It seems like a great buy, but i wanted to get some opinions first.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:46 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
If youre not opposed to having a wire exposed, try the Griffin iTrip.

Griffin iTrip FM Transmitter for iPod iPhone CHARGER - eBay (item 260794437126 end time Jun-08-11 21:16:36 PDT)
(That is a listing for an item I am selling. Feel no obligation to bid/buy I am only using it as an example because there are a few versions with the same name but I have found this one to be the best.)

It charges your iPod at the same time as it plays. It only requires a cig lighter (12V) and is an FM transmitter. Works pretty well unless you are in a large metropolis like Los Angeles. I am about 60 miles away from LA and have no problems using it.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Originally Posted by fifty-two_f1
I have the 99 f250 with the stock unit and I am real close to buying this USA SPEC iPodŽ Interface Connects your iPod to select Ford factory radios at Crutchfield.com. It seems like a great buy, but i wanted to get some opinions first.
I think the reviews in the link you posted are your best bet for opinions. There's probably not too many here with that exact unit, and if there are they will most likely never see this thread.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:58 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
I have one similar to this, but i do not get the quality that i am looking for.

Originally Posted by TreySpooner65

Griffin iTrip FM Transmitter for iPod iPhone CHARGER - eBay (item 260794437126 end time Jun-08-11 21:16:36 PDT)
(That is a listing for an item I am selling. Feel no obligation to bid/buy I am only using it as an example because there are a few versions with the same name but I have found this one to be the best.)

It charges your iPod at the same time as it plays. It only requires a cig lighter (12V) and is an FM transmitter. Works pretty well unless you are in a large metropolis like Los Angeles. I am about 60 miles away from LA and have no problems using it.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:59 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by fifty-two_f1
I have one similar to this, but i do not get the quality that i am looking for.
Do you have that exact model? There is a newer one and I returned it and bought the old one (which is the one I linked) because it was so much better.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:00 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
I thought that also, but in the reviews I did not see where anyone had issues with it (except the car). I was just wondering if there were any common issues with them.

Originally Posted by fz1dave
I think the reviews in the link you posted are your best bet for opinions. There's probably not too many here with that exact unit, and if there are they will most likely never see this thread.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:30 AM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User

Gotta tell you I have tried many FM transmitters over the years in various locations. From NC, to Colorado, and even Europe. I've never been happy with any of them Colorado Springs in particular (home for now) has been a very bad scene for the transmitters. Must have something to do with the density of military installations as well as Cheyenne Mountain.

A hard wire adapter is the best solution in my mind. When I pick up my SD next week, one of the first things I'll be doing is shopping for a decent aux input unit to throw in to the dash.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:33 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by akaFrankCastle
Gotta tell you I have tried many FM transmitters over the years in various locations. From NC, to Colorado, and even Europe. I've never been happy with any of them Colorado Springs in particular (home for now) has been a very bad scene for the transmitters. Must have something to do with the density of military installations as well as Cheyenne Mountain.

A hard wire adapter is the best solution in my mind. When I pick up my SD next week, one of the first things I'll be doing is shopping for a decent aux input unit to throw in to the dash.
No doubt that hard wire is the best option. But this FM transmitter has worked great for about a year for me. (FYI I live near 2 naval bases, so maybe it wasnt the military)

Old 06-05-2011, 01:44 AM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
No doubt that hard wire is the best option. But this FM transmitter has worked great for about a year for me. (FYI I live near 2 naval bases, so maybe it wasnt the military)
Maybe the air in my area is just more RF dirty. LOL

I have the unit that you posted up the link too. I probably have to reset my station at least once every few days due to bleed over from neighboring stations.

If I can find the link, I will post up the write up I found on converting a stock radio over to a hard wired iPod hook up.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:46 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by akaFrankCastle
Maybe the air in my area is just more RF dirty. LOL

I have the unit that you posted up the link too. I probably have to reset my station at least once every few days due to bleed over from neighboring stations.

If I can find the link, I will post up the write up I found on converting a stock radio over to a hard wired iPod hook up.
<--- Disregard his angry face. I meant whats written on his sign.

Must just be differences in the air. I had very good luck and never had to change my frequency.

But all in all, hardwire is the best.. Thats why I went with a Pioneer 4200 so I can have a USB

Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 AM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Okay, turns out the guy did the mod on an old Rambler AM unit. But it might be able to be done with a newer stereo too. Written by a French Canadian so the English and grammar isn't that great. But still an interesting write up.

MP3 player with old radio : one solution . - The AMC Forum - Page 1

Old 06-05-2011, 09:27 AM
rjmay
Senior User
I have installed two PIE adapters for a 2001 f350 and a 2003 f250.

I bought both from ebay watching for pricing under $70.

I am extremely satisfied by both.

But I also bought a scratch and dent Alpine unit from Crutchfield for $100 that had a direct input front jack and a usb connector for an Ipod.

I think that is more bang for your bucks.