50/50 mix veg and diesel

Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 PM
myred
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50/50 mix veg and diesel

I have a 94.5 powerstroke pretty much stock except for air filter.. I have two tanks on my truck, Heres the story i work with a friend that he has collected a 1000 gallons of veg fuel. Hes been running 50/50 mix in there tractors on there farm for few years now,, He runs one mercedes on a two tank system with preheated system. He starts up on diesel and runs straight clean used veg fuel rest of the way and shuts down on diesel.. Ok Now he said during the summer time he said that i could run 50/50 mix veg and diesel with no problems in one of my tanks.. Would this be ok in summer time??? Looking for answers before i do this.. Now like i said ive been doing this in my tractor for some time now and with no problems except for changing out fuel filters at times.. THank you and if there is anyone that has ran clean used veggy with diesel 50/50 let me know how your doing..

Old 08-25-2010, 09:21 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
IMHO, it's a bad idea. There are people on here who blend and seem successful. I think you will end up with the veggie oil dropping to the bottom of your tank and fuel filter. You will end up starting the truck on cold veg oil, and that is a recipe for disaster. In my truck, I have a separate veggie oil tank and fuel filter, with a switching valve. There are lots of websites that discuss blending. Do some research before you dump the veg oil in your main tank(s).

Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Jeffrey S Brooks
New User
When I first started running blends in a 6.2L diesel engine more than 4 years ago I noticed little effect from adding only 5% gasoline with WVO. I noticed improvement at 15%, and kept adding gasoline to WVO until I got to 20% and found a sweet spot there for my engine, so I stick with it. And, I do not add any diesel fuel to my blend.

The functional diesel fuel blend ratios that I have read about are generally 50%. I am sure adding more diesel fuel makes the blend with VO run better.

I have also noticed that diesel blenders tend to need to add about twice as much diesel fuel as gasoline blenders. This suggests that if one wants to keep diesel fuel in a VO blend, but still add gasoline, then they could consider they can half the diesel in relation to how much gasoline they add.

This means blending gasoline (petrol), diesel and VO at these ratios should work:
5% gasoline (petrol), then 40% diesel fuel could be blended with VO.
10% gasoline (petrol), then 30% diesel fuel could be blended with VO.
15% gasoline (petrol), then 20% diesel fuel could be blended with VO.
20% gasoline (petrol), then 10% diesel fuel could be blended with VO.
25% gasoline (petrol), then 0% diesel fuel could be blended with VO.

It is also worth noting that blending VO with diesel fuel in the winter only promotes gelling at 32F (0c). Whereas adding any amount of gasoline will aid in anti-gelling your fuel blend at cold temperatures. The more gasoline added to a VO-based blend will lower its gel-point. I have found 20% gasoline to 80% VO will remain liquid and fire well on a diesel engine without the need of a block heater down to 0F (-18c).

Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 PM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S Brooks
When I first started running blends in a 6.2L diesel engine more than 4 years ago I noticed little effect from adding only 5% gasoline with WVO. I noticed improvement at 15%, and kept adding gasoline to WVO until I got to 20% and found a sweet spot there for my engine, so I stick with it. And, I do not add any diesel fuel to my blend.
Jeffrey, I'm very interested to hear about the long-term health effects of running your blended fuel. Have you had any carbon buildup issues or injector problems? I've been looking into blending waste motor oil with gasoline (same concept, except 85% motor oil / 15% gasoline) but have been hesitant to get started because of various horror stories.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:21 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,884 Likes on 1,137 Posts
Originally Posted by flainn
Jeffrey, I'm very interested to hear about the long-term health effects of running your blended fuel. Have you had any carbon buildup issues or injector problems? I've been looking into blending waste motor oil with gasoline (same concept, except 85% motor oil / 15% gasoline) but have been hesitant to get started because of various horror stories.
He won't know the long-term health effects until its too late. As soon as he recognizes the problem (smoking, loss of power, bent pushrods, etc) it is too late and just going back to diesel won't fix the damage done.

Be aware, the 'horror stories' are GROSSLY under-reported!!! I'd guess fewer than 1 out of 20 'promoters' of blending WVO/WMO actually come back online post after they foul their engine up. Even then, its likely the 'success' stories are often exaggerated.

I always say 'Please choose wisely or pleeeeeease post pics of the carnage!'.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:22 PM
14psd
Senior User
Myred DON'T do it unless your ready to replace ALL of your rubber fuel lines. Ask me how I know. Been there done that. I ran WVO in the front tank and diesel in the rear and did the "switch" to bleed the system. All was fine until the bio based fuel broke down the rubber fuel lines. The high pressure lines don't look to cool bursting under the hood and fuel goes EVERYWHERE under your hood. By running a mix it will take longer to break down the rubber fuel lines but it will do it. Bio fuel HAVE to have the viton fuel line (the blue line) or else it breaks down the rubber. You will get little black ***** in your fuel bowl, not to mention how well your injectors will like them. Petroleum based fuels can use either type of fuel line. I hope this clears up some questions for ya. I got lucky and didn't damage anything just broke lines. If you want to run bio fuel get one of the systems or run separate fuel systems so you don't damage the stock one. That's my 0.02