Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels Click Here

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2011, 05:18 PM
New User

Arbitris is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rims interchangeable between?

Sorry for an uneducated question, but rims are not my strong point.

Here's what I know:

Frame is roughly a 1978 full size frame
(came with a title for a 78 Grand Marquis but I don't know how to verify this from the frame)
5 lug pattern, as it's a car frame
I tried to bolt on 5 lug car/ranger wheels
The lugs are too close together
- The guy that brought them by told me I had a f150 frame, however the frame has an axle hump in the rear and coil springs all around, I don't think it's a truck frame.

My question:

Is there a specific bolt pattern this would most likely be? If so what cars/trucks should I be able to get rims from? (at the self serve junk yard)
Can anybody point me at how to identify what frame I'm playing with?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Elder User

PatsPOS is starting off with a positive reputation.
From '73 to '78, Ford fullsize cars used a bit of an oddball lug pattern...5 x 5". Hence the reason Ranger wheels wouldn't fit, and neither will truck wheels.

Your choices for finding factory wheels at the local yard are limited. Aside from finding a fullsize Ford car, I THINK the Chevy Astro had a 5 X 5" pattern...but that's just heresay. Oh, yeah...the '72-'79 midsize Ford police cars used that pattern too, if you happen to run across one...

Pat
'00 Excursion LTD 6.8L (17.25 @ 78 MPH)
Old 06-05-2011, 12:20 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsPOS View Post
From '73 to '78, Ford fullsize cars used a bit of an oddball lug pattern...5 x 5". Hence the reason Ranger wheels wouldn't fit, and neither will truck wheels.

Your choices for finding factory wheels at the local yard are limited. Aside from finding a fullsize Ford car, I THINK the Chevy Astro had a 5 X 5" pattern...but that's just heresay. Oh, yeah...the '72-'79 midsize Ford police cars used that pattern too, if you happen to run across one...

Pat
Thanks Pat!
Old 06-19-2011, 02:53 AM
Junior User

68Shortbox5.4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Josh Mason buddy the killr
Before you run off and buy wheels with the 5x5 pattern, I believe Lincolns were the only one to use the 5x5 pattern, Ford and Merc used 5x4.5. If his wheels came off a Ranger and your lugs were to close then 5x5 would be bigger. Measure from the outside of one stud to the middle of the adjacent stud to get your pattern.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:24 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Shortbox5.4 View Post
Before you run off and buy wheels with the 5x5 pattern, I believe Lincolns were the only one to use the 5x5 pattern, Ford and Merc used 5x4.5. If his wheels came off a Ranger and your lugs were to close then 5x5 would be bigger. Measure from the outside of one stud to the middle of the adjacent stud to get your pattern.
My understanding has always been to measuer from center of stud to center of opposite stud (or close to opposite obviously with an odd number of lugs)

When I actually go pick some up I will probably take a piece of cardboard, smack it down over the studs to get the bolt pattern and bring it with me to hold up over the donor car studs and make sure they are the same size. I don't see new rims going on this.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:30 PM
New User

I wonder how many of these cars are hub centric.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Junior User

68Shortbox5.4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Josh Mason buddy the killr
We are both correct, center to center is 6 and 8 my way is for 5
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 PM
New User

That's right, I forgot that the number is a measure of the radius, and in the case of the 5 lug pattern there isn't a bolt in the correct place to measure correctly for that number.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels

Tags
1997, aerostar, astro, car, expedition, f150, ford, interchangable, interchangeable, ranger, rims, sizes, stud, truck, wheels