1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

DB Electrical Gear Reduction Starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DB Electrical Gear Reduction Starter

Well, my old starter finally started giving up the ghost this past week. I looked around here locally and the cheapest I could find a replacement was around $150 from the big box auto stores. I could also have gotten a SD starter, but those would have set me back about $185. So I decided to wait the extra couple days and get one from DB Electrical. It was a minor inconvenience not having the truck as it is my DD, but I really didn't want to get stranded. I hate asking for help... guess it's a vice of mine.

Anyway, I ordered an upgraded gear reduction starter ($107) from DBE on Tuesday around 2:30 and they had is on my doorstep when I got home from work on Thursday, and that was the standard ($18) shipping via UPS.

I installed the starter, which took about an hour, taking my time to snap a couple photos and to clean up all my battery cable connections. Not a bad job at all, one of the easier starters I have worked on.

Here is a shot of the two starters side by side.

You can see the size difference!

My only disappointment:

Got it all back together and the truck popped off like never before. This starter really cranks the truck up fast. The truck now starts cold in about 1-2 seconds even with 388k miles on it!

I could not be happier with the whole experience, and I have FTE to thank for pointing me in the right direction. To anyone who is in need of a starter replacement and can wait a couple days, I highly recommend you call DB Electrical. Seriously, I couldn't be happier!

Old 06-04-2011, 02:38 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DBE starters suck

Nate, sorry to rain on your parade, but you completely missed the threads about how DBE starters suck!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...e-starter.html

I had the same experience as you; ordered a DBE starter, starts fast, but was disappointed in the MiC sticker since I thought is was a Denso starter. It's not, it's a Denso "Style" starter. Cheap Chinese copy. A year is about all those things last. Mine lasted 11 months and left me stranded in a snowstorm. I got roughly 80% of my money back from DBE, which I will give them credit for doing, but they REALLY wanted to give me another crappy MiC Denso Style starter. No thanks.

I spent big coin on a genuine Denso and am happy as a clam. You really should have spent the extra $60 on a SD starter. You'll think about that when the Chinese one leaves you in the lurch.

The horse is already out of the barn, but go read through that thread and the others attached to it.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Huh, yeah I guess I missed that one.

I have seen a couple threads where different guys have recommended them recently. Like this one.

I guess we will see what happens! Too late now to do anything about it.

I'm not sure how long I'll have this truck, as I am due for an upgrade before too long, but for now at least I am really happy with the starter.

I guess I will be the guinea pig to see how this thing holds up as it seems there are differing opinions.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:35 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
i installed mine over a year ago and its just as strong as the day it came out of the box...i say i like it! but IF it does die ill be getting a sd starter myself. i like the crank noise, db has a unique sound.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:02 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7
i installed mine over a year ago and its just as strong as the day it came out of the box...i say i like it! but IF it does die ill be getting a sd starter myself. i like the crank noise, db has a unique sound.
To pick at a nit, it's not a DB sound, it's the gear reduction.

And I hope your starter lasts a long time, Steve (and Nate), I'm just saying the odds are not favorable. Mine was real strong, too. Up until it would not even click. Nate, you'll see my post in the thread that you mentioned.

I was lucky to be able to claim the warranty, but most are not so lucky. For a vendor, the cheap Chinese parts route are a balance of saving money versus not having to pay out on too many warranty claims.

Originally Posted by fridgeddiesel
After all the research I have done I would recommend replacing your starter with one of the following: Motorcraft 903SA, true Nippondenso High Torque or Mean Green starter. Anything made in China should be avoided.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:51 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by deadsenator

And I hope your starter lasts a long time, Steve (and Nate), I'm just saying the odds are not favorable. Mine was real strong, too. Up until it would not even click. Nate, you'll see my post in the thread that you mentioned.

I was lucky to be able to claim the warranty, but most are not so lucky. For a vendor, the cheap Chinese parts route are a balance of saving money versus not having to pay out on too many warranty claims.
Yeah, I guess we will see what happens.
Not a big fan of the MiC parts myself, but I'm not sure but what the ones I would have gotten from AutoZone or Advance, etc wouldn't have been "imported" either.
I'mma run it and see what happens I guess. I always have my old one that I suppose I could get rebuilt as a spare...