Sponsored by: DP Tuner

dead miss under hard load and high RPM

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:11 PM
pmbmax
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dead miss under hard load and high RPM

I can make it repeat the issue on demand ... Only time it does it is WOT and rpm is above 2000. when it starts missing you let off and it will miss for a mile the clear up like nothing happen .... get back in it hard and it will do it again. I put a oil gauge on 3000psi steady...fuel gauge 70psi at idle 62 to 70 at wot does shake around tho . I run the codes and cylinder contribution test with a snapon 2500 scanner . also i have a terminator pump ,new navastar heads,all new fuel and oil lines ,new up pipes , new larger turbo , banks power elbow, new ford lift pump and all the before pump mods to help keep air out ,rebuilt bottom end also put a new ccp sensor in it but both are grey with blur o ring , it has only had motorcraft oil, also tried a super chips and a diablo did it on different settings with both. it will pull hills ok if you lug it and dont let it down shift . once it down shifts and it pulls for 30 to 45 sec it will get a dead miss ,let out will clear up . I have also did a buzz cold and hot good both ways . the truck runs great without load we carried it on vacation not one issue . One thing that i dont like is with the terminator pump only when fist start of the day it cranks so fast it sucks resovor dry and dies then you can hit the starter and it fies right back up and does not do it again . any ideas a very welcome

Old 06-22-2013, 11:53 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by pmbmax
One thing that i dont like is with the terminator pump only when fist start of the day it cranks so fast it sucks resovor dry and dies then you can hit the starter and it fies right back up and does not do it again . any ideas a very welcome
I think you just found it. There is no way in the world an HPOP can keep up with a properly-working LPOP.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:50 AM
pmbmax
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I think you just found it. There is no way in the world an HPOP can keep up with a properly-working LPOP.
So you think i have bad low pressure pump??? my gauge shows pretty high like over 3/4 never put a manual gauge on it . I am to the point of a new IDM or a bad lifter .... Can you change lifters ith out pulling heads ??? also i put morals lifters in it the miss makes the charger act funny kinda makes me wonder if i have a bad exhaust lifter and that is just from other experances from other engines and no the pressuer it takes to open exhaust valeswhen cylinder pressure is very high .... and all injectors read 3.3 to 3.5 ohms

Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
An LPOP can far outpace an HPOP. If you say the HPOP reservoir gets sucked down and you feel confident this is accurate, then LPOP is highly suspect. The gauge on the dash is little more than a pointy idiot light, letting you know "Yup, there's some oil moving around in there." I know from experience that anemic performance under load at high RPMs points to oil. Say the HPOP outruns the LPOP at high/fast load... you would get air in the oil and you would certainly get a miss.

If this happened on Stinky, I would find a way to read the Low Oil Pressure accurately... or at least watch my ICP on AE (with a known-good HPO system) and work it out in my head.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:18 AM
pmbmax
Senior User
An LPOP can far outpace an HPOP. If you say the HPOP reservoir gets sucked down and you feel confident this is accurate, then LPOP is highly suspect. The gauge on the dash is little more than a pointy idiot light, letting you know "Yup, there's some oil moving around in there." I know from experience that anemic performance under load at high RPMs points to oil. Say the HPOP outruns the LPOP at high/fast load... you would get air in the oil and you would certainly get a miss.

If this happened on Stinky, I would find a way to read the Low Oil Pressure accurately.
Ok i will put a gauge on the low side ( what pressure will you start getting problems). The high side did hold a steady 3000 while it was missing . and as it sucking it dry it does the lo presure dash gauge never moves untile it turns prolly 10 or so times but the truck cranks in like 2 and it dies before the dash gauge jumps up...But next time i will pull the screw out and make sure it is sucked dry..i put a federal mogul pump in it when i built the engine ,but it has missed sense the build( at heavy load high rpm). I spent 8,000.00 on the build and it makes me sick. I am putting a IDM on it this week . Its a free deal so i said yes i would try it a buddy thinks the driver may be getting hot from the longer holding time when the demand goes up , and i see that could be an issue. also what else on the oil ( was the terminator a bad deal for my mild build ). new pump and i made very sure on the o ring for the pick up. You said you no give me a insight on what you had ...I was down to thinking it was a lifter on the exhaust side ......

Old 06-23-2013, 11:40 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Low pressure side. Warm sitting it the drive way not doing anything 20-30ish psi. Under wot 60-70ish psi. First 5 mins of cold start with a little more go input than normal 95 psi until it warms up.

EDIT: I think I read somewhere that as long as there's 8psi on the low side the gauge will stay around 3/4 the way up on the gauge cluster.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
A built engine? Watch out, I don't have enough experience with this and it introduces way too many variables for me to use my experiences as a solid guide. All I can say is eliminate the easy/inexpensive stuff before you "catastrophize".

Old 06-23-2013, 12:41 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
I think I read somewhere that as long as there's 8psi on the low side the gauge will stay around 3/4 the way up on the gauge cluster.
That sounds about right. the gauge only tells you if there is oil moving through the pump and is only kinda of an idiot light to say when there is no oil movement at all. It never tells you the actual pressuer. so if your only around the 8lbs, it sends the signal to the gauge. your most likely mixing air ( cavitation ) in to the oil system between the two pumps because the Hpop is pulling the oil faster then the Lpop can push. Your kinda stretching the oil between the two causing the cavitation..

Old 06-23-2013, 12:57 PM
pmbmax
Senior User
where is the best place to hook my gauge to . and with the new pump what could be an issue or just a bad pump . also the engine does change sound this has me worried a bit now .... Thanks

Old 06-23-2013, 01:36 PM
pmbmax
Senior User
ok ran out just took factory gauge off and put an adapter on and 70psi at cold idle rev to 2200 went to 100psi let it go back to idle and holding 50 like a rock..... its at idle now so lets see what it does at 200. It has fresh less than 400 miles of motor craft oil in it and was cold from last night . Thanks very much going to try to drive it and hit the hille next to the house to see what it looks like at miss..... Any way this could be in the idm ....

Old 06-23-2013, 01:40 PM
pmbmax
Senior User
33psi to 35psi at idle and 55psi at 2500rpm.... after it was warm by looking at gauge ..........
it has been at idle for an hour and it has dropped to 22 at idle and 40 at 1500rpm and only 40 at 3000 rpm .... this sounds fishy to me .....

Old 06-23-2013, 04:02 PM
pmbmax
Senior User
i did a pull till it started to miss pressure stayed at 40 psi ( hooked where stock sender goes on HPOP )

Old 06-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I forgot to ask if you did the Hutch mod.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:00 PM
pmbmax
Senior User
I forgot to ask if you did the Hutch mod.
Yes .... I wonder if somthing is wrong with all the pre pump stuff .I made it miss with scanner on and no codes..... I removed the mixing chamber and did all the pipe out of stainless....thats been atleast 3 years ago... the truck set for 3 months but i had at least a bottle of diesel kleen in it so i would think the alga would be a bay (when i did the engine build).... The only thing i have seen is the fuel presure jumping around .... any one have a vid of a manual gauge and how steady it is... I looked on youtube nothing there but they was a 6.0 and it was close to mine and they said it had a bad pump or had air

Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I don't have a vid yet, but mine starts at 63 PSI and drops to 50 PSI at WOT with stage II sticks.

Quick Reply: dead miss under hard load and high RPM