Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2013, 11:57 AM
New User

congut is starting off with a positive reputation.
Throttle Stops Working Service Engine Light Comes On

I had the same problem. My throttle pedal randomly stopped working and the service engine light would come on. When the light went off (sometimes would take 3 seconds or up to 15 min for this to happen) the throttle pedal would work again. Thanks to this thread I unplugged the connections at the PCM and reconnected them. It has been a few months now and the problem is gone!

THANKS FOR THE HELP!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Posting Guru

plgebbia has a good reputation on FTE.plgebbia has a good reputation on FTE.
glad the info was helpful!
1995 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 5-spd 4.10s 7.3L Powerstroke 328,000 miles and counting. Big Mods: 275/200 hybrids, srp1, ITP fuel system w/twin pumps, all the other odds and ends...tuned by Jonathan at NLTD. 2004 F-250 FX4 CC 6.0L, 125,000 miles, ARP studs, EGR dissapeared... Tuned by Innovative
"It is a fine line between genius and idiocy"
Old 03-17-2013, 08:13 PM
New User

highboy71 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2000 7.3 that has the throttle problem. Runs fine until you step on the throttle. then it goes dead. idles fine. won't come back unless you turn key off and on. Have changed the tps the ivs the complete throttle assembly, and lastly, I installed an overlay wiring harness. Still the same!! The only codes I get are 133 and 134, which is tps/Ivs. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated...I have cleaned all battery connections, replaced batteries just because they were getting old. have eliminated all sensors including the speed sensor. Have unplugged all sensors one at a time, made no difference. Checked all ground wires, cab to frame engine to frame etc. Really stumped on this one???*&$%#@
Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Senior User

howellt39 has a good reputation on FTE.howellt39 has a good reputation on FTE.howellt39 has a good reputation on FTE.
howellt39@yahoo.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by plgebbia View Post
Well, I unhooked the batteries, and then unhooked and inspected, and then rehooked the PCM connection, reconnected the batteries. Problem fixed. We'll see if it reoccurs with time...

Thanks for the help that was given. Reps coming!
Highboy, this is what Ian did to fix his problem, try disconnecting your batteries and unhooking, cleaning contacts, and rehooking up the PCM plug.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Elder User

lhud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lhud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ian,
I understand what you did and likely fixed the problem, but what exactly fixed the problem? My '02 does exactly the same thing - same dash lights come on but no codes are shown. It's sort of scary if you're cruising at 70 mph in the fast lane and this happens and you want to get to the outside lane quick just in case something else is going on. I guess the disconnect of batts and PCM are sort of like turning off you computer sometimes to 'trick it' into working properly. Do you think one of the pins on the PCM plug is getting hot?

Thanks guys,
2002, F250, 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CC, SB, Gold Superchip plugin, AIS Air Intake, FS2500 Oil Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter & Dahl Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, 4" MBRP Turbo back, Warren Hubs, GP LED Light, Edge CTS Monitor, AE/PC Laptop, Chevron Delo HD ELC. 6.0 Tranny Cooler,
2004, Stock Ford Navigator.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Learning slowly ...

Tim Hodgson has a great reputation on FTE.Tim Hodgson has a great reputation on FTE.Tim Hodgson has a great reputation on FTE.Tim Hodgson has a great reputation on FTE.Tim Hodgson has a great reputation on FTE.
I know this is not the OP's symptom, problem or fix, but my symptoms were somewhat similar. So this may help some who come across this thread. Driving on washboard, the engine would die, then all the dash lights would light up, then the engine would mysteriously restart. It would repeat while we were on washboard. I wish I could remember what FTE'er solved the problem to give him credit, but it was simply a loose ground connection at the battery post.

I.e., negative post loses contact, resulting in an interruption of the electrical circuit causing the engine to die (just like you turned your ignition key off), then re-establishes contract completing the electrical circuit (just like turning your key back on) glowplugs/compression restarts the engine (w/o need for starter) and your off and running until battery cable loses contact again.

Solution to this problem: Better cable connections at the battery posts.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW 1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer 12vdc; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Xantrex 3.0 Prosine Invert/Chrgr; Xantrex XW Solar Chrg Controller (MPPT); Auragen 5kw AC generator in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top diesel furnace/water heater; Sportsmobile Voyager top. 1995 EB Bronco 5.8L, bone stock.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 PM
New User

highboy71 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by howellt39 View Post
Highboy, this is what Ian did to fix his problem, try disconnecting your batteries and unhooking, cleaning contacts, and rehooking up the PCM plug.
I tried this and no luck? read my log again I added some more to it. Thanks so much. Highboy71.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 AM
New User

ATS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same problem on my 01 450. Ive tried cleaning the connections, unplugging 1 sensor at a time and still nothing. When im driving it only does it when the engine fan comes on and keeps doing it until the fan turns off. Water in fuel light, SES, and wait start light all come on. if I let off the pedal and get back on it, it comes up to about 2k and cuts again. Any suggestions?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
05, 2003, 60, 73, 73l, code, cut, cuts, cutting, driving, f250, ford, idle, powerstroke, sd, truck