Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Bronco II issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:55 PM
tankepsilon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronco II issues

2 weeks ago, I bought an '89 B2, 2.9L 6-cyl., manual trans, 4x4, with 150k+ miles on it.

So here's the deal:
A week after purchase, the u-joint on drive shaft failed and the whole thing dropped out. Got it replaced.

When getting started going from neutral to first it is ROUGH. At first I thought it was because I was rusty with a manual (it's been a few years since I've driven my mom's old tracker, lol), but no matter how I let off the clutch and apply the gas, the whole truck shakes like it's about to come apart. It smooths out as I get going, and all the other gears transition smoothly, but 1st feels like I have a meat grinder instead of a transmission.

A couple times when I started it, the throttle has been wide open without my foot even being on the gas pedal. I instinctively hit the gas pedal and it quit, but it scared the hell out of me.

My AC doesn't want to work. The blower works, but it sounds like the compressor isn't kicking on. I had the AC checked out before buying it, and it was supposedly fine.

So basically, I was wondering if the issue with first gear is a mechanical problem or if it's me just failing my *** off at driving a stick. Also, I'm worried about the throttle opening up on startup for no good reason.

The AC problem is more secondary, and I think I saw another thread where a guy asked about the same thing, so I'll keep checking on that thread in case he solves his problem.

Thanks a lot,
Cam

Old 06-04-2011, 07:47 AM
89broncoll
Senior User
Welcome, u have the same year and everything bronco I have.my transmission did the same thing going into a few gears I checked my clutch fluid and it was low topped it off and seems to be fine now,but I was also having issues with my clutch.now the throttle sticking issue have you checked your throttle cable?it could be bad or adjusted improperly causing it to stick.hope this helps

Old 06-05-2011, 12:26 AM
tankepsilon
New User
Checked out the throttle cable and it seems fine. Started it up and it didn't do its crazed death roar, so I guess it might've been a fluke. I also moved the floor mat down a few inches just to be sure it wasn't catching, so... as of now that problem seems resolved.

I'm gonna check out the tranny fluid in a sec. I have no clue where the reservoir for the clutch is. I checked the owner's manual and it didn't say.

Also, I found receipts for the muffler (installed 10 years ago), the door locks, and a receipt for a rebuilt tranny installed a year ago, along with a new slave cylinder.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:01 AM
89broncoll
Senior User
Your clutch fluid is located on the fire wall on the driversside tucked up there pretty good.if it's been rebuilt it's odd your having issues.off it's under warranty still I'd take it back

Old 06-05-2011, 09:53 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to FTE...these guys are good here and will get ya going

Old 06-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I would take it back under warranty (if it still applies) and have them re-bleed the clutch slave cylinder.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:37 PM
tankepsilon
New User
Okay, the clutch fluid is it normal levels as stated by the owner guide. The receipt for the transmission work doesn't say anything about a warranty, so I think I'll call the place tomorrow and see if maybe they have any records on it. As for the transmission fluid, I couldn't get the plug out to check it (power tools > manpower), but I know a guy who can take a good look at it.

Also, thanks for the warm welcome, guys. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned and I'm glad to have it. I just want to get her going strong and smooth.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:48 AM
fordtrucksj
Senior User
Same year, model etc. as you. There are a few things to consider:
1) Clutch fluid reservoir is low on fluid
2) TOB is on it's way out or binding
3) Pressure plate might be warped (doubtful though if the other gears are engaging)
4) The syncros for 1st gear are on their way out
5) or it's possible you may need some practice

As for the TB staying open. Try the easy and cheap first: buy some carb cleaner and spray the TB until clean and allow it to dry for a bit before kicking on. Spray some lubricant on linkage to make sure that it's not sticking. Make sure you don't have any bad sensors having to do with your intake (sensor tester at your auto parts store, they come in handy).

AC: rule out a cracked or old wire. Check fuse, make sure it's charged. This might be a good time to convert it to R134-a. I did and it was the best choice ever. Check belt and tension on it. check for leaks in the system. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:01 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Junior User
Try and clean the throttle body and see if that helps. As far as the A/C, if the compressor won't kick on it may needs to be replaced. Then again it could be out of freon. If it is completely out then it will not kick on, just spin. There's a wire or something you can jump to make it kick on but only do this if it needs to be filled or risk tearing up the compressor.

Well hell^ There you go. LOL