Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2011, 09:50 PM
New User

Thermo2008 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Reduced engine power 6.4 psd

Was test driving a truck to buy today and was getting on freeway going 75 about a mile down the road reduced engine power and wrench light came on not a good way to start a test drive any ideas truck ran well until that point. 37000 miles still under eng warranty just a little Leary they cannot check out until mon morning
Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Moved to the 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel forum.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:12 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Could be something as simple as a sensor. Bottom line is a fault was detected and it entered a safe mode to prevent further damage.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 06-04-2011, 09:35 AM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Hi Thermo, welcome to FTE!

Unfortunately things sometimes go wrong with engines as complex as these are, but for the most part they do pretty well. With as much engine warranty as there is left I wouldn't hesitate to buy it once the problem is corrected. Scott is probably correct in that it's likely a sensor problem.

Take a look around and also make sure to visit the TECH FOLDER found at the top of the 6.4L forum. Lots of great info to be found there that would be beneficial for you to know before you make the purchase.

Let us know if you get the truck, and be sure to post pics!

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 06-04-2011, 09:54 AM
New User

Probabaly something simple. Really like the truck well just don't want it to be a cronic problem if I buy truck! Talked to sales person today and won't have a diesel tech until Monday morning to diagnose problem. I will send updates when I find out more. 2008 f250 Xlt 4x2 crew long bed.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 PM
New User

Talked to service dept today and they said 1 of the engine thermostats failed not sure which one I know there are two. And from what I have read they take 3 hrs book time. Could not pick up truck today.will tomorrow arranged to drive truck for a couple days before buying so I could check over and make sure no other problems.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:25 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Glad to hear they found the problem! Did you notice what your temperature gauge read when it went to limp-home mode?

Currently truckless.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 PM
New User

Well I looked at it a couple times and showed normal. With the 2 t stats I wonder if 1 is for main coolant and one for egr system?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:51 PM

TomB985
Nope, there is only one cooling system on these engines. You're thinking of the 6.7L! .

There are two thermostats that control flow of coolant to the radiator, if one is stuck open I believe you'd be overcooling.

Currently truckless.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:13 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I suppose hyper extended was the issues. My temp guage will move just to the right of center at 220F.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 06-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Senior User

wp6529 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wp6529 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy001 View Post
Nope, there is only one cooling system on these engines. You're thinking of the 6.7L! .
Actually there are two fully independent cooling systems on the 6.4. There is a separate system with a separate pump and radiator for the fuel cooler and variable turbo actuator.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:52 AM

TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp6529 View Post
Actually there are two fully independent cooling systems on the 6.4. There is a separate system with a separate pump and radiator for the fuel cooler and variable turbo actuator.
Correct, but I do not believe there is a thermostat for that system.

Currently truckless.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 PM
New User

Well bought the truck

I bought the truck today. They let me drive it for a couple days. Great dealer ship seem very knowledgeable on diesels. Buckeye ford London Ohio. Rural dealer stocks a lot of diesels. Found no other problems hope it stays that way.hope to be a long time ford enthusiast!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Freshman User

powerskull is starting off with a positive reputation.
Congrats. I love mine and it pulls like nothing else.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 PM
New User

I am pulling my 30 ft Airstream wed and will put it through its paces.I pulled it before w/ my dad's 6.0 liter and that truck pulled it great.excited to see power.have driven it no load andhave never seen anything about dpf cleaning approx. 400 miles is this normal.I know it has latest software update.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2008, 64, engin, engine, f250, f350, f450, ford, icon, light, low, message, power, powerstroke, reduced, warning, wrench