1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Clutch Problem Questions

Old 06-03-2011, 04:27 PM
stumpy_1958
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Problem Questions

I HAVE ADDED AT THE END OF THIS POST A POSSIBLE NEW ISSUE I JUST DISCOVERED TODAY. IT STILL MAY BE IN THE CLUTCH, BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE TRANS. ISSUE TOO. WHAT DO SOME OF YOU THINK?

I have a 96 F-250 DFI 2 wheel drive 5 speed manual. I am having some niose coming out of the bellhousing trans. area. Clink or Clunk tpe noise. I also niticed there is a slight change in noise when letting off the throttle shes making a growing type noise. I do believe it may be time to replace a clutch. I took it to a garage and they said it would cost me $1300 for them to do it. I was looking on the net to see what the diff was in solid and dual mass clutch's and flywheels. From the information I've obtained on this subject, I am now thinking that I may want to convert to a solid clutch and flywheel from dual mass. Is there anyone out here that has done this conversion? and is it worth the change? Money wise, it looks like it could be a little less expensive in the long run, but a little more up front. And IF I do the change/conversion is there anything I should know or look for. Oh and also, what the hell is the diff in HYD clutch versus the older clutchs I use to put in my old Mustang? I've done clutchs before but nothing on this new of a truck. I did mine back in the early 70s, so as you can see its been awhile for me to tackle anything like this, but fel I could do it. What do ya think. Thanks for your time and lookng forward in hearing back from someone on this matter.
Thanks again
Bill

I think I could have another issue. I put it up on the hoist today and had my friend stand under it while I started the truck while up on the hoist and he said it sounds like it's coming out of the front of the trans. I shut it down with the clutch out and man you here a hellofa rattle, but holding the clutch in no rattle. Checked the throwout bearing and there is not alot of play or noise coming out of that area. So now I am wondering if the front main shaft bearing has gone out of the Transmission? I don't have any slip in the clutch, just that growling noise when I let off the gas. All this time I thought clutch, but now I am wondering. Have not pulled the trans yet so I still don't know what it is for sure????

Last edited by stumpy_1958; 06-04-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Possible New Problem Same Area
Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
It's easy as pie, Bill. You can do it if you've done other clutches before. The hydraulic system merely replaces the cable that used to be there. It's a pretty simple system.

I found a write-up somewhere for the whole procedure that made it easy for me since it was the first clutch I had done in a while.

As you understand, you can do it for far less than $1300 (~$8-900). I think Valair is the preferred vendor around here, but South Bend would be okay too.

It is worth changing to the SMFW, yes. You lose the complicated dual-mass unit, but you gain some noise and torque. Worth it, IMO. The engine drowns out any extra noise.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:59 AM
stumpy_1958
New User
Thank you. I am looking at doing this myself within the next 2 weeks. I really do appreciate your response as it has helped take away some doubt...

Old 06-04-2011, 06:20 AM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Just FYI, in 4th below 1800 RPM, the Gear roll-over is noticeable in my truck. Since the OP has basically the same truck, I thought it was worth mentioning.

But yeah, the clutch isn't hard to do. But the transmission is VERY heavy. Some guys will tell you you can lift the transmission in and out. I'm gonna tell you that unless you can bench above 200, you can't. It is quite awkward. Save yourself the trouble and spend $100 on a transmission jack (if you don't already have one). I bought one from Harbor Freight that works very well.

And +1 for Valair. They were good before the sale and good after the sale.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...drop-a-zf.html Here is a link to a good writup. Same trans as yours but different engine but should be basically the same job.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:19 AM
stumpy_1958
New User
Thanks for the links. I'll be sure to print this off..

Old 06-04-2011, 07:22 AM
stumpy_1958
New User
Thanks for the headsup. Got a hoist and Trans. Jack so this should go well, I hope.. But going to change to the Solid. I hope Valair has complete upgrades from Mass Flow to Solid..

Old 06-04-2011, 05:29 PM
540milotalon
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changed the Dual mass to single mass last time it went. The '96 had aprox. 73K when it went first time and about the same (150K) when it went second time. I called Valair and changed to Single Mass and a clutch rated about 350 HP. There is some noise, more than the dual and and noticeable stiffer on the leg compared to the dual still in the '95 350. I feel and tell people, this is the truck Ford should have sold me. I bought it new and tow some horses and such, very seldom over 10K. These trucks don't like dual mass. It's a waste of money. Parts in '09-'10 was under $500. delivered. The single mass last year on my '89 was higher. Tell them you were told by the folks on FTE and maybe there is a discount? I imagine shipping and parts will be a bit more right now, and it will also depend on your zip. Changing it is like any other 4 wheel drive truck, ditto on the jack!!!

Old 06-04-2011, 05:45 PM
stumpy_1958
New User
Thanks for the info. However, I think I could have another issue. I put it up on the hoist today and had my friend stand under it while I started the truck while up on the hoist and he said it sounds like it's coming out of the front of the trans. I shut it down with the clutch out and man you here a hellofa rattle, but holding the clutch in no rattle. Checked the throwout bearing and there is not alot of play or noise coming out of that area. So now I am wondering if the front main shaft bearing has gone out of the Transmission? I don't have any slip in the clutch, just that growling noise when I let off the gas. All this time I thought clutch, but now I am wondering. Have not pulled the trans yet so I still don't know what it is for sure????

Old 06-04-2011, 05:54 PM
540milotalon
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say dual mass fly wheel coming apart. Mine shook some and would not go in gear while running. My bro. inlaw shook and actually knocked. When it started or shut down it sounded like it might come out of there. There are springs and non metallic spacers in there and when I got my second one out they were all there just a lot of play between the halves. The first one had springs and pieces missing and they were not in the bell housing? Guy helping me said"maybe the went out the exhaust?" We smacked him over the head.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:01 PM
stumpy_1958
New User
ROFLMAO on the helper... I'm hoping its just a clutch issue because the trans. issue is gonna be a little more $$$$ to fix ciz I have never even wanted to get into rebuliding transmissions, not my cup of tea... Next week I'll pull this bear apart and see. Gotta get insurance on the car before that tear down happens. Will just have to drive it real careful a few days a week until then.
Thanks again for your help..