Sponsored by: Moser

Rear bearing grease or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 AM
daningraham
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear bearing grease or not?

So I am swapping out the dana 60 rear from the 78' into my 74' so that I have the matching set since I also swapped out the front previously and I noticed that the dana 60 out of the 74' had axle seals in the diff and the outer bearings were greased. When I popped open the one out of the 78' I noticed that it did not have any axle seals in the diff and the gear oil flowed all the way out to the outer bearings.

My question here is are the bearings in the 78' oil lubricated only and do not need to be greased upon intall? I swapped out the outers with new ones and need to know if I grease the bearing before I put the new seals on.

Thanks for any info in advace.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Rory428
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are both trucks F250s with full floating axles? I believe that all the Danas with full floating axles should have axle seals in the rear brake drums, and the drums are held onto the axles with large nuts and lock tabs or wedges. If so, the grease is only used for initial lubrication, as the diifs gear oil will find its way to lube the bearings while driving. The seal is to keep the gear oil from contaminating the brake shoes.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:54 AM
daningraham
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes both are F250's with floaters. I just found it odd that the 78' had no seals in the diff at the axels and the 74' did. It can't hurt to slap some grease on them either way. Thanks for the info.