Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks > 1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2012, 01:32 PM
New User

terry lucas is starting off with a positive reputation.
need wrap a round rear glass parts. back of cab glass everything to mae a con version
thank for the help terry ph#530-586 2928
Old 03-15-2012, 10:57 AM
New User

Garand69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great site!

I just fell into a 1963 F100 Shortbed with straight 6 - 4 speed that a friend decided to sell. I've already found a goldmine of info just surfing here over the last few days.

Thanks for the excellent source of info!!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:52 AM
New User

SAY789 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just picked this '62 Uni from a buddy of mine for $500.
had a 302 c4 combo in it but he blew it up. So im just gonna drop that same setup in there seeing as all the mounts are in there. All the glass is great, couple lil dings and pretty well complete. Should be a fun toy for me and my dad to fix up. Just need a couple lil things

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:05 AM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
There is just something about a 62 Uni. Check out my Album. Hope it gives ya some Ideas Bud. Ya could have bought a driver that needs nothing but love. And she is so easy to love.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 AM
New User

mctim64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just got back from El Mirage with my Uni. Ran a best of 142.5 with my 304ci Y-Block.

Click the image to open in full size.

http://yblockguy.com/
Old 11-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Postmaster

turbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud of
Love it.
I followed your build as I was working on one at the same time (though not an LSR truck)
Really nice job.
You are flying the flag for us uni guys out there.

'08 Super Duty 6.4, '61 Unibody, '63 T-bird, '66 Mustang
'76 F750 Firetruck, '83 F150, '74 F-1004x4 shrtbx
And not enough time to drive 'em.
Marc
Be like Steve
Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Junior User

TCAPer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Awesome job out there!! I had goosebumps watching your video!!
Congratulations!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 PM
New User

mctim64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks guys! I have a lot of fun with that truck. I was more into the "Fridges" till I got this one. Still like 'em both though.

http://yblockguy.com/
Old 02-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Senior User

cuellar23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A unibody forum! Thank god! I bought a thoroughly used 1963 F100 last summer on an impulse, knowing nothing about these trucks. After being on the fence on selling it as it is or restoring it over time, I decided to keep it, against all good common sense(-:
I just love the lines of the unibody trucks. Plus, my old shovelhead will look good in the back of her when it breaks down!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Freshman User

ponderbuzzard is starting off with a positive reputation.
New Forum

traffic will pick up in a while.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:11 AM
New User

Juju27j is starting off with a positive reputation.
What's y'all thoughts on lowering with a leaf spring flip under the axel.. Looks like it would give a few inches and not a very hard job.. Also any advise on getting these brake drums off.. I've been beating on them for two days and nothing..
Old 03-08-2013, 07:16 AM
Freshman User

ponderbuzzard is starting off with a positive reputation.
Relocating the leaf springs front end

You best have a strong back, hefty impact wrench and or a long lever cheater bar to get those old U-bolt nuts off. I just removed a spring off a 1962 axle and it was struggle to almost the last threads. You do not however, have to completely remove the U-bolt to get the spring off. !!! When loose enough slide spring down to the end through the U-bolt, to the shackle pin holes where there is only a couple of spring leafs (leaves?) . rotate spring 90 degrees and sometimes the spring will then slide out. Of course if you relocate the leaf springs below the axle you will have to remove the U-bolts and turn over Maybe good idea to replace the U-bolts and nuts while you're at it, including the sleeves in the spring ends.
I understand that lowering the front end by relocating the springs can create problems with ground clearance when one tire goes flat, but I never personally have done this mod. How do you deal with mating the spring to the shape of the bottom of the axle since there is not a flat wide surface as on the top of the axle for spring to sit on?

On the brake drum frozen I haven't attacked that problem yet, but a spare rear axle assembly I am in process of removing from donor truck has the same problem, both drums rusted solid, so I'll watch for ideas. I figure lots of penetrating oil and lots of tapping with a plastic head hammer, or brass drift to shake things up. Maybe even an air hammer.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:12 AM
New User

NONclow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote -Juju27j
What's y'all thoughts on lowering with a leaf spring flip under the axel.. Looks like it would give a few inches and not a very hard job.. Also any advise on getting these brake drums off.. I've been beating on them for two days and nothing..

You might have to cut some holes into the frame above axle for clearance (while also adding gussets to reinforce/strenghthen the area around removed portion), depending on how low you want to go. On the drums, have the brake shoe adjusters been backed off sufficiently, if so, try heating up the mating surface of the drum to the axle gently with a torch (if available), then grab a hammer. Good Luck!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 PM
New User

kvtire is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey guys! New to the forum as well and recently purchased a 63. Does anyone know what year and make car i can swap frame with to achieve a much lower and different suspension with disc brakes. I was told a 76 lincoln mark 4. can anyone confirm this? Thanks in advance for all the help
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 AM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtire View Post
Hey guys! New to the forum as well and recently purchased a 63. Does anyone know what year and make car i can swap frame with to achieve a much lower and different suspension with disc brakes. I was told a 76 lincoln mark 4. can anyone confirm this? Thanks in advance for all the help
I don't think I have ever heard of one particular car to do a frame swap on any truck. Ya can't use the search function on as yet cuz ya have to have more posts. but you can Google frame swaps along the lines your thinking and it mostly will bring ya back to a thread on FTE here.

I have no idea what your skill level is, but will assume because you are asking that you prolly have never done a frame swap. Many have started swaps but damn few finish because it is a heck of a lot of work and cost. There are a few here that have done it but the ones I followed mostly had assess to fully equipped machine shops and years of doing this kind of fabricating.

Most of us find that the frame under the truck works the best. There are IFS and IRS kits made to fit. Also some junk yard IFS systems than can be fabbed in.

First thing is to tell us what ya want your truck to to, what ya gonna use it for? The stock suspension can be converted to disk brakes and power steering fairly inexpensive. That and a gear change in the rear and your back on the road in a couple of weekends. A frame swap will take a very very looong time. Just my 2 cents Bud. So again tell us what your after in a finished build, and we will tell ya what others have done to get there.

A guy on here put a Mercedes Diesel and trans in his 53 with a Crown Vic front end. he just drove it from the deep south to Alaska and back towing a tear drop he also built. Again what is your skill level?

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 AM