6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
View Poll Results: If you use this, have you noticed your fuel economy to be better or worse?
Better
79.17%
Worse
20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Motorcraft Cetane Booster and Performance Improver

Old 06-03-2011, 04:51 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't say anything about economy because if it did make a difference, it was so small that it wasn't noticeable.

OTOH, I did notice a "seat of the pants" improvement in power when towing my heavy fiver with my old '06 6.0L. Running up and down I-95, I didn't see as many downshifts.

Base on that, I decided that the new '11 would get a dose each fillup.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:19 AM
Chep
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told by one dealer to use it and another, where the truck is serviced, told me becuase it is common rail fuel system it wasn't neccessary. I stopped using it and I can't say there has been any change in mileage. I used it for about 10000 miles before I stopped and have put an additional 3000 miles on the truck without it. In fact now that I think about it, my recent towing milegae since I stopped using it was a couple mpg better without it. Same trailer, same weight, same terrain. Maybe that was just the motor getting broken in?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I use it. I can buy a gallon of the stuff for $50 which works out to $0.39 per ounce times 4 ounces per fill up (25 gal) equals $1.56 per fill up. Compared to the $100 for the fuel it's pretty darn cheap. If anything it's good insurance if you get a bad tank of fuel.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Hu Slung Pu
Junior User
Originally Posted by kper05
I know several other diesel owners who don't add anything.
Powerstroke, Cummins and Duramax.
Pump from the station and go.

On a side note, does anyone see any issue with adding the 4 oz of this stuff with the engine running at idle?
The times I have done this (3-4 maybe) I am ready with the fuel nozzle and pump at full speed to mix as quickly as possible.
It could be 5-10 seconds between the two though.
I have put in 4 oz. at home, almost on an empty tank once or twice, then go straight to get fuel. The station is maybe 2 miles away. I didn't notice any issues.

Thanks again for all of the replies. I've decided to keep using it at every fill up. I just feel better about it I guess.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Lee1405
New User
I have 2014 6.7L -- no towing, and I am a mild driver, meaning that I don't do "punch it" style.. I was getting 16.2~ 16.8 for my daily commute (22 miles crossing city) right after I use, I am getting 17.8~ 18.2 -- right away, I haven't done any mod yet. and it helps on low speed driving, less RPM get me through 1 ~ 3 speeds, so I am very impressed and happy with it. 20 Oz bottle can treat 125 gallon, so I divided it into 7 (3.5 oz) small bottles (to treat 21 G of diesel) - I use one bottle every time I fill my tank. it's about $2.50, so I bought 1 Gallon ones and it will get me lot cheaper price then $2.50..so far I think its worth it.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:23 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the 6.0 and use a similar product, Stanadyne Performance Formula because I believe the 6.0 was not designed to run on the ultra low sulphur fuel we now have and this product provides extra lubricity.
I have noticed about a .5 mpg improvement.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:22 PM
F stock owner
Senior User
I can't say what my mileage increase is, if any, because I never bothered to check it. It does seem to be better though. I'm currently getting 18.1 MPG combined (via info center) so I can't complain. I gave my gardener a bottle when he showed up one day with a new F-450. He claims a 2 mile increase. He's also new to diesel and the transmission is still "learning" his driving pattern so take that with a grain of salt. I mainly started using PM-22-A after reading an article that pointed out that ultra low sulfur diesel is lacking in lubrication abilities and that cetane numbers are inconsistent and lower than what Ford calls for. So I thought it would be cheap insurance compared to a $10K± fuel pump. I know there are other brands out there that some folks swear by, but I wanted to distance myself from any possible claims I'm not using an approved additive should any warranty issues arise. Do I have any hard data to show it helps in all the ways it claims? No. Can I say there is any ROI? No. But then again, is there any ROI on the truck? I guess it really boils down to: does it give you the warm fuzzies in that it's cheap insurance? Yes. An extended warranty helps too.

Originally Posted by doczenith1
I use it. I can buy a gallon of the stuff for $50 which works out to $0.39 per ounce times 4 ounces per fill up (25 gal) equals $1.56 per fill up. Compared to the $100 for the fuel it's pretty darn cheap. If anything it's good insurance if you get a bad tank of fuel.
Where can you get gallon cans @ $50? Is that mail order?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Lee1405
New User
Originally Posted by F stock owner
Where can you get gallon cans @ $50? Is that mail order?
I should add this info, I only tried "Genuine Ford Fluid PM-22-GAL ULSD Compliant Cetane Booster and Performance Improver - 1 Gallon "

no desire to try out different product. Amazon sells it $47.25 + $13 shipping.
so $60.25 per Gal.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:40 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Put me in the camp of guys who fuel up and go. Never considered it and life is fine without it. I fill up at any station that has a diesel sign and my truck runs great. As for gelling, anti-gel is already added to the winter mix fuel you buy when it's cold out so no help needed there either. I can't for the life of me spend money to treat a problem that isn't there....

Old 07-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Definitely helps with fuel mileage on the highway in my experience. Also can't hurt the HPFP. We use fuel that doesn't have the proper lubrication that the pump was designed for even with the low lubricity package. $50k truck, I will spend the money to up the lubricity of my fuel.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:20 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
I used Power Service Diesel Kleen in my John Deere tractors, Deere skidsteer and my diesel truck. Mainly for it's cleaning properties, and fuel stabilization.

I don't know if it helps fuel economy but Power Service says that fuel economy increases up to 8% and that the fuel saving exceeds the cost of the additive. I pay $17.58 for the 80 oz jug. I call it insurance in case I get some bad fuel.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:52 AM
skscci
Senior User
Motorcraft Product v/s Opti-Lube

Last Sunday my check engine light came on and the code indicated an EGR issue. I took it in today and they said that the EGR cooler needs to be replaced.

Warranty item so I don't care so much. However, I asked if this was common at only 36k miles and what I could do to prevent it in the future.

The service writer who is also a Diesel mechanic indicated that the EGR gets dirty and clogged and if I used a cetane booster it could help to prevent the problem. He recommended the Motorcraft Cetane Booster and Performance Improver.

I have been using Opti-Lube for the past 3 years, but since I live in Florida, I use the summer formula which does not have much in the way of cetane improvement.

Do any of you have comments based on experience with either of these products?

Thanks.
Steve.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:07 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Opti-lube summer formula boosts cetane by 5-7 points so does Diesel Kleen. I don't even see that Motorcraft advertises how much their product improves cetane. I seriously doubt that changing over to Motocraft will help

The best way to keep your EGR clean is to work it hard. Tow heavy with it. Unloaded city driving isn't good for diesels

Old 03-04-2015, 12:48 PM
skscci
Senior User
That's probably most likely then.
Lately its been mostly stop and go driving in crowded freeways and slow back roads.
Monday when I had a chance to open it up the check engine light went out.
But, if they want to give me a new EGR cooler on their dime, I'm OK with that.
Meanwhile I'll just keep on doing what I do.

Kind of reminds me of the Bill Cosby bit about the 200 mph car and having to 'burn out the gunk'.

Thanks.
Steve.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:54 PM
dmags
Senior User
FoMoCo cetane boost /anti gel

I did just recently do my monthly drain and had the fuel in a clear clean jar.
It has been super cold here around 0* and I did notice fuel stayed clear with additive in it.
I do know the fuel will cloud up without the additive so I think it works and is worth the couple extra $
I use the anti gel in winter and boost the rest of the year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motorcraft Cetane Booster and Performance Improver