Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg Info

Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg Info

Howdy folks. I'm dropping by from over in the WV chapter

My family & I are planning a trip to the Smokies this summer. We've never been there and would like to get some good advice/suggestions from folks that know the area. What better place to ask than the TN chapter?

So, we're gonna spend a week there in June. There will be 7 of us and we plan to all rent a cabin for the week. We also plan to hit a few of the attractions while we're there. So, I'm hoping to work out some sort of package deal to get lodging and tickets bundled together. Any suggestions on that front?

One specific question I have is about parking, particularly in Gatlinburg. I'll be in my F250 so parking garages are usually unfriendly. Can anybody give me some advice about parking and getting around in that town?

And, if anybody could give me any general suggestions about cabins to rent, places to eat, attractions that are must-see, etc that would be great. Basically, any info that you can provide will be useful!

Thanks in advance!!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:36 AM
RustyShackelford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a cabin close. Last time I went, my cabin was 45 min away. A friends cabin was 5 min away. We spent a lot more time at his...

Old 12-30-2010, 08:39 AM
SixStringMadness
Senior User
There is a parking garage in Gatlinburg by TGI Friday's that should be truck friendly, and one near the Harley Davidson store that should also accommodate an F250. There area also several lots that should be no issue other than cramped. Best advise to get away with free parking, get up early, park on River Road (runs parallel with the Parkway, and is free first come first serve) You can also park at the welcome center off the Spur (HWY 441 between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge) and ride the trolley in to town.

Pigeon Forge is a non issue for parking an F250.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 AM
SixStringMadness
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja
And, if anybody could give me any general suggestions about cabins to rent, places to eat, attractions that are must-see, etc that would be great. Basically, any info that you can provide will be useful!

Dollywood will be closed, so scratch that. Ober Gatlinburg is the next biggest attraction, but not that glitz and glamor of Dollywood. At the very least ride the areal tramway at Ober Gatlinburg. The shows are very good. I have friends that play a the Smith Family Theater and the Black Bear (thumbs up, two best shows in town), the Titanic museum is getting great reviews, and of course there's plenty of shopping to do. I'd start at the Five Oaks Outlet Mall for that.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:59 AM
SixStringMadness
Senior User
One more thing, DON'T speed. You'll get ten over, but trust me that's it, and you won't talk your way out of it. A friend of mine is a cop in PF. He would probably write me a ticket. He'd let me go to court and get out of it, but he'd still write it..... Don't get a heavy foot. And the Spur between Gatlinburg and PF. Park rangers, no mercy whatsoever......

Old 12-30-2010, 10:11 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Last time we went, traffic was AWFUL. Driving there is slow-going, so plan for extra time.
Chattanooga is much easier to navigate and less than 2 hours away...Rock City, TN Aquarium, Ruby Falls, Pointe Park, Chickamauga Battlefield, Chattanooga Choo Choo, Riverpark, Coolidge Park, and on and on and on.....

Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 AM
SixStringMadness
Senior User
Traffic will be light this time of year. No Rod Runs to tangle with in the winter

Old 12-30-2010, 10:41 AM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Thanks for all the info!

We'll be there either the first or second week in June. Good thought on the rod shows, guess I better check on that too!

Just looking at Google Street View, it looks like Gatlinburg could get slow going with traffic. I'll likely get up REAL early one morning and drive all over town to familiarize myself with the best ways to get around, how to get to the parking garage/lots, etc. The trolley sounds like a good idea too...

Thanks again and please keep it coming!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:45 AM
SixStringMadness
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja
Thanks for all the info!

We'll be there either the first or second week in June. Good thought on the rod shows, guess I better check on that too!

Just looking at Google Street View, it looks like Gatlinburg could get slow going with traffic. I'll likely get up REAL early one morning and drive all over town to familiarize myself with the best ways to get around, how to get to the parking garage/lots, etc. The trolley sounds like a good idea too...

Thanks again and please keep it coming!

Oh, June is a different story. That's when season kicks off. Rods runs are a regular event in the spring and summer. The biggest is the Grand Spring, and the Shades Of The Past. Check the Pigeon Forge Chamber of Commerce website for the rod run schedule.

And Dollywood will be open then too. That's at least a day or two right there.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:04 AM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SixStringMadness
Oh, June is a different story. That's when season kicks off.
Yeah, up until this year, we've been enjoying the advantages of taking our vacations in the off season -- lower crowds, lower room rates, etc. But, our little girl started school this year, so for the next 13 years (minimum) we gotta go when everyone else does

Old 12-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We enjoyed Dixie Stampede; also horse back riding across from the Outlet mall is great. Only exhibit that sucks in my opinion is the ripley's Belevie it or not. The strip mall in Gatlinburg is so so, you got to try & taste the "Hottier Than the Universe Sauce".
Theres acouple of bypasses around PF that once you get use to them it will save you time in bumper to bumper traffic.
In Sereville; we enjoy the Floyd Garret Auto Museum; cost alittle high; (mostly Bow tie & Mopar) but intetresting; also there a cool dinner in the lowes parking lot area just down from there thats has good reasonably price food.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Am I the only "outdoorsy" guy here!? Don't miss the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. There are a lot of hikes (especially on the TN side), 2 great motor trails (Roaring Fork and Cades Cove), and lots of kid friendly activities. You can get a guide in the Sugarland's Visitor Center just inside the park boundary from Gatlinburg. If PF/Gatlinburg is hot, the park is the place to be.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

If you want to check out PF's events, go to:

View Pigeon Forge's Event Calendar

If you stay in the PF/Gatlinburg area, bring bags of cash! If you out-of-staters spend enough, maybe our 9.75% sales tax will go down -- NOT! (and oh yes - there is an additional recreational tax on most PF/Gatlinburg purchases). If you have an RV - you could get a lot closer to things than most cabins and save some money, but be packed in like cord wood. We usually stay in the park, but there are no hookups.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:32 AM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Thanks to everyone for all the great info!

I hope to pull the trigger on whatever package I end up buying when my tax check gets here. As it gets closer to that time, I'll likely post up some more specific questions.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2010, 06:27 PM
SixStringMadness
Senior User
I'll stay subscribed, and help you as best I can.... lived in the are for the past 15 years

Old 12-31-2010, 08:11 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
I hate both the tourist trap turds, I go to the mountains through Townsend. BTW you suckers are gonna love what they've done to highway 66 coming from the interstate, make sure you have a lot of fuel to burn as you sit and idle in jammed traffic. I thank god for all the back roads from mom and dad's to all the places I like, Smokey Mountain Knife Works and the mountains.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg Info