1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires! (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gage2502
Ya once again im lost on what to buy.....
Also I went with my brother to Discount Tire and I noticed that they dont have any lifts that can lift my truck?????? They have what looks like an oversize motorcycle lift that lifts the car about 12" off the ground.
So I asked the Manager about how do they install tires on a lifted truck, he said that they use floor jacks. So I take it that they lift it by the differential pumpkin, I dont like that idea. Thoughts on this?
When I lift my truck with my floor jack I used 8x8 timbers under the jack and lifted from the frame.
Unless im installing a lift, i always lift by the differential in the back, and in the front differential on one side, as far as i can go on the other. pretty much how ive seen every shop around here do it

Cooper STTs or Toyo MTs...you really cant go wrong. They both almost look the same, to me it only came down to pricing at the time. STTs were cheaper before, MTs are cheaper now.

To save yourself the headache, ill pick for you! Toyo MTs!!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
Unless im installing a lift, i always lift by the differential in the back, and in the front differential on one side, as far as i can go on the other. pretty much how ive seen every shop around here do it

Cooper STTs or Toyo MTs...you really cant go wrong. They both almost look the same, to me it only came down to pricing at the time. STTs were cheaper before, MTs are cheaper now.

To save yourself the headache, ill pick for you! Toyo MTs!!!!
I always liked the Toyos M/Ts...
I think that I just have TRUST issues with my truck....I really dont like anyone working on it especially jacking it up.
I was thinking about just bringing my new wheels to Discount Tire and having them install the tires then bring them home so I can mount them to my truck myself...Ya I know im strange.

Also all the tire shops around here dont carry the Toyos M/Ts Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T or even the BFGs T/A KOs in stock they have to order them...I hate that so much....in fact the only time I see those tires in person in at the Auto Show.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:15 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

I dont like people working on my truck either. I brought my wheels in boxes and tires in my dads F150 to the tire place and had them mount them and then i brought them home (truck was on jack stands in a nice neighborhood, lol) and put them on

I wouldnt go with the nitto trail grapplers personally... ive just heard they dont last at all, and theyre not too good in snow. You must not have very many trucks around there, around here theres Toyo MTs, cooper STTs and nitto mud grapplers everywhere.

The STTs and MTs are almost completely similiar, i think the toyos might have the lugs just slightly more spacing. I didnt notice any difference in sound between the two, same size, on my truck with the coopers and my friends with the toyos. Just pick one, lol

Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
The STTs will be my next set. There I picked.... for now

Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 AM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by maverick22
I've read those reviews of the Duratracs before but I have to say I've had the opposite opinion. I admit I've only had them for 6,000miles though. They are a bit louder, but not obnoxiously - nothing you can hear over the radio...unless you pick up a rock, which they like to do - you'll definitely hear that. That's actually my only downgrade, they can pick up rocks and then propel them at the body. But performance wise - they have been amazing. We just got 12" of snow a few weeks ago and the truck performed flawlessly, never a slip even busting through drifts 24"-30" deep. With all the siping on them they also performed very well on snow pack and ice. Never really had them in any deep mud but what little I've been in they worked fine, cleaned out very well.

As for handling, I will admit they were squirrly the first time I towed w/ them, but they only had about 50 miles on them. Towed several times since and no issues whatsoever. Never had a problem w/ balancing either. Were your issues immediate or did they develop later?
I may have got bad one's. (I bought them from an older fella, used) My bald silent armours, would have out performed them in almost every situation. I put them on in a snow storm, and immediatly hated them. My Dura Tracs had about 3/4 tread, when I bought them. An old fella owned them, and didn't like them. (Wanted more of an all terrain, was mislead when he bought them.)
So truthfully, they may have had a brocken belt or something. I will never have them again though.......

Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 2006lariat
I may have got bad one's. (I bought them from an older fella, used) My bald silent armours, would have out performed them in almost every situation. I put them on in a snow storm, and immediatly hated them. My Dura Tracs had about 3/4 tread, when I bought them. An old fella owned them, and didn't like them. (Wanted more of an all terrain, was mislead when he bought them.)
So truthfully, they may have had a brocken belt or something. I will never have them again though.......
huh... weird. Yeah I bought mine new and drove them till they were bald.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by drey04
huh... weird. Yeah I bought mine new and drove them till they were bald.
I ran them till bald, and truthfully, the traction was the same all the way. Skated all over in snow, like slick's in mud, and way louder, than the way they performed. I see a lot of ppl love them, but my money is elsewhere. If these Toyo's end up bad (I need to run them awhile yet) I will put the AT2's on it. No reason to spend a pile of money on an MT, if they don't do better than an at in mud.

I realize that a MT isn't meant to be great in snow. But in Mud/Dirt they should have shined.......they didn't. The ride was terrible. I had to use 4 whl drive to pull hay wagon's acoss the fields. Something I never had to do with my Cooper's, or my Silent Armours.
But AGAIN The ride balancing issues, may have happened before I got them.....The ol fart may have been plowing Curb's!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:10 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bbender85
wow, this is the first i've ever heard that. between forums and a few buddies having them it's been 100% great feedback until this.

in other news, got a weeks worth of driving on my Treadwright Guard Dogs and they're good so far.
I really would like to try the Treadwright's. If they made them in a size I wanted, I would have them. My friend had them on his 2005 SD, in a 17"rim, that truck went awesome. (He only had a regular cab, with a 5.4 though. The weight and torque of a diesel, makes a huge difference in how tires perform, in my opinion.) In fact he had to pull me into fishing camp last year.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Also Im sure that I cant fit a 35" spear in the factory location...Does everyone keep their spear in the bed?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

just running around town i usually never carry a spare, dont want someone to take it. but if im going more than 30 mins away i toss it in my bed. just a steel wheel with a 315/75/16

Old 03-13-2013, 03:14 PM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
i've heard a 315 will barely squeeze under there... can't confirm, i never mounted the spare i kept for my old truck.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:14 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drey04
My previous set of tires were 285/75-16 duratracs... they were freakin' awesome, I got 72k out of them, no joke.
Wow! And I was hoping to get 40 or 50 out of them - that's great news!! How often did you rotate?

Originally Posted by 2006lariat
Do you remember if they were E rated? I remember reading that when they first came out, there wasn't an E rated version available and there were problems w/ sidewall flex.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Ya I was going to buy the same wheel/tire as the ones I have "or will have" on my truck. I might fab up a bracket that bolts to the bed and bolt my wheel to that with locking lugs.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
drey04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by maverick22
Wow! And I was hoping to get 40 or 50 out of them - that's great news!! How often did you rotate?
I was pretty lazy on the rotating.... about 3-4 times

Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 PM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The STT have made me a believer. It snowed 9" here last week, and driving in 2wd on snow covered roads made me believe I was in 4x4. Even having an 11.7" wide tire I had no floating. Just cut right through the snow like I had skis on the front

Quick Reply: New tires! (pictures)