1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Carrera Mustang QA1 shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Carrera Mustang QA1 shocks

Has anybody used the Carrera Mustang QA1 (adjustable) shocks with coils for the front? Speedway has them.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 AM
KidShalene
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which you choose depends on your setup and how much control & adjustability you want.
The Carrera's are fixed valving and housed in a chrome steel body. Don't think they're rebuildable, when they wear out you buy new ones.
The QA1's are rebound adjustable in a polished billet aluminum body and can be rebuilt/revalved.
The piston rod on the Carrera is 1/2 in, the QA1's are 5/8 in and the seals are alot better as well.

I went with the QA1's, but not from Speedway. There's more than one QA1 model that fits the Must II setup.
The ones I went with are double adjustable, compression and rebound, for the same money.
I didn't get chrome springs, after talking to the QA1 folks they don't recommended them.
Said the chome often gets stress cracks in it because of the flexing of the spring which
then leads to surface rusting underneath and lifting off the chrome. Maybe, maybe not, but sounded reasonable to me.

I'm sure there are other opinions and reasons for going in other directions with other brands but for me it's the QA1's,
the Carreara's just seemed to be a standard shock with a threaded body for adjustability and not worth the $$$. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:37 AM
thrifty
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for the info. Should have done more homework on them. I did not realize that had 1 better than the one I ordered. And the chrome info was kinda wild. But who would know alot about the product than the people that make them. I went round and round with the people at speedway. The guy that was helping me was not really informed. Needless to say it was much later till I found out the parts were wrong.
Thanks,
Jonesy