Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who else has had enough of the my V-10 gets crappy mileage/can't tow anything posts

Old 10-12-2009, 03:58 PM
chipper
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Who else has had enough of the my V-10 gets crappy mileage/can't tow anything posts

Am I the only one who is tired of all the people whining about the performance/mileage of the Wee-10. If you had done any research before you purchased the truck you wouldn't be asking these questions again and again and again and again................Just be happy that you saved yourself all that money and bought a Wee-10. Instead of bucking up the cash and buying what you really needed or wanted. Buyers remorse is a terrible thing and I understand. Just stop it..
No this is not another attempt at starting the Wee-10/diesel wars.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your title has written all over it unfortunately.... but I agree about the whole buyer's remorse thing and then folks come here and whine about it gets a bit old but then again so does the inability of folks to use the search feature... I am more tired of hearing "my A/C blows out the defroster" there must be a 100 threads on that subject.... or complaints about the ESOF is not working or is crappy.... gotta be 200 threads on that topic.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
chipper
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I maybe should have toned it down a little bit. Just trying to get peoples attention.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:42 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are all the threads in which the Wee-10 owners are whining about performance and mileage?

I must have missed them all.

I get terrible mileage...... 8.2 mpg to 8.4 mpg on it's best days.

Am I whining? Nope. Would I like to improve my mileage? Yes. At least 99 to 112 mpg if possible. I have a permit approval
pending from the
Virginia Department of Transportation to mount a 30 foot sail on top of my Excursion.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should first say that nothing ever has enough power for me....but that being said...my V10 does the job just fine, thanks.

My '94 Bronco with a 351 got about 11...so my Ex getting 9 or 10 around town is no big deal. I alsohave seen 15 if I am careful on the road.

All that said...I have no buyer's remorse whatsoever. I frankly take some exception to the thought that I didn't "buck up" the cash, or get what I "really" wanted. I wanted a V10 and got it. It's wrong to assume all that V10 owners simply cheaped out...and really wanted a diesel to start with.

This is not a 7.3 or 6.0 bashing when I say I simply had no interest in a diesel. Just as the original poster says this thread is not to start a diesel-gasser war....I'm thinking that calling a V10 a "Wee-10"....while it may be tongue in cheek...it's still an invitation.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by VaSheriff
Am I whining? Nope. Would I like to improve my mileage? Yes. At least 99 to 112 mpg if possible. I have a permit approval
pending from the
Virginia Department of Transportation to mount a 30 foot sail on top of my Excursion.
Murphys law says the wind will always blow in the opposite direction you are wanting to go once u get your sail installed. easy way to improve mileage is to drive downhill both ways

Old 10-12-2009, 06:17 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by chipper
Am I the only one who is tired of all the people whining about the performance/mileage of the Wee-10. If you had done any research before you purchased the truck you wouldn't be asking these questions again and again and again and again................Just be happy that you saved yourself all that money and bought a Wee-10. Instead of bucking up the cash and buying what you really needed or wanted. Buyers remorse is a terrible thing and I understand. Just stop it..
No this is not another attempt at starting the Wee-10/diesel wars.
You insult what we drive and then say this is not another attempt at starting a war? what the heck dude?!

I also don't really know what you mean "can't tow anything".

I have posted many pictures of what my V10 pulls everyday. 21,000 miles in just over 9 months worth. At the minimum, I tow just over 7,000 lbs and usually have somewhere between 10k and 14k behind it. I've even been on the scales at 31,640 lbs and it pulled it no problem.

Real nice of you to tell people how to spend their money by telling them to "buck up" and buy a diesel. Most of the time an equivalent diesel model is at least $5,000 more than the gas burner.

I've run the numbers. You'd have to drive while towing at least as much as I do and even then it would take almost 7 years to make up the difference in that initial $5,000 cost. It just doesn't make sense for alot of people in this economy to shell out money that will take most over a decade to recover.

The V10 was a gift to me from my FIL. Would I like a diesel? Sure. Does this vehicle do the job? Without a doubt. Proven day in and day out.

Bottom line is, I like this truck, it does the job, and I don't have $5,000 to $10,000 just laying around to replace it with a diesel. Even if I did, it would have to be used elsewhere.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Ex03AK
Senior User
I'm new to FTE and I have already found a few topics I really don't care for, but it's really easy to not click and read them. I'm just sayin'...

BTW, I have started many a fight with my wife by innocently saying something along the lines of, "I really don't want to start a fight but..."

Have a good one,

Old 10-12-2009, 07:21 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by soutthpaw
.....easy way to improve mileage is to drive downhill both ways
Strange you mention this! In Virginia, you can only go downhill both ways if you have a diesel.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:35 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
You started it! V-10's SUCK!

1. They SUCK gas

2. They SUCK wind while towing!

Just my .02 cents.........

Old 10-12-2009, 07:35 PM
turbo10
Cross-Country
When I purchased my 04 in May of 04 Ford was running a DEAL on any gas Excursion. 2000 cash back plus 0% for 60. On top of that I work for Ford so subtract the A-Plan and I walked out the door with a 04 all black limited 4x4 V10 owing Ford Credit 38,978 for a truck that's sticker price was just over 47,000. Now If I was one of the many that purchased one of the 6.oh's and paid the 53,000 Sticker minus my A-plan plus no 2000 cash back add to that 5.5% interest at the time. I would have spent somewhere around $14000 just to have a diesel. Since I don't own a Bobcat, small sawmill, landscaping business, drive 100,000 miles a year I cold not justify a diesel just for the increase in fuel milage, when the V10 will do anything I need it to do. That 14,000 would have purchased all the gas I have used in my Ex to date.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:36 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Hey Scott, I was gonna suggest u look at getting a heavier duty hitch for your receiver. I notice in some of the pics you have posted that the hitch looks bent where the ball attaches and that style of hitch usually has a 5K rating. Layton truck body near me sells 2" slide in hitches with 11K+ ratings with various drop/rise lengths... try a local truck body place or trailer manufacturer.... If you can't find anything and are interested I can get u more info from them on the hitches....
also what brand and size tire is on your trailer? what is the max load rating on the tires? I just got a single axle tilt trailer for pulling my Bobcat but want to see if I can get higher load rated tires for it. at 3042lb each now on 16" 8 lug rims
As for your truck, I seem to remember you said it was Free??? (maybe I am mistaken) and it pulls fine cuz you don't have those wierd big ol humps sticking out of the ground everywhere like we do in Colorado they are called mountains
by the way what one person says pulls fine another may say it pulls like crap.... so it really doesn't tell us much unless people are specific. like "my truck will only pull at 55mph on the freeway pulling such and such trailer or something

You would notice a big difference if you were pulling that load at elevation due to the power loss of naturally aspirated engines.....

Like I said in my first response, the OP's title and comments had written all over it..

Old 10-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Skullonarm
Senior User
I've had a couple of frosty adult beverages, so I will not respond to this, Because I have the little wee-10 and I bought it when gas up here behind the Redwood curtain was $4.99 a Gallon. We don't whine, it would be nice to get more but what the heck. We are driving an excellent rig with in my case 10 burning and two turning (always)

Retired Diesel Technician

Old 10-12-2009, 07:50 PM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by soutthpaw
Hey Scott, I was gonna suggest u look at getting a heavier duty hitch for your receiver. I notice in some of the pics you have posted that the hitch looks bent where the ball attaches and that style of hitch usually has a 5K rating. Layton truck body near me sells 2" slide in hitches with 11K+ ratings with various drop/rise lengths... try a local truck body place or trailer manufacturer.... If you can't find anything and are interested I can get u more info from them on the hitches....
also what brand and size tire is on your trailer? what is the max load rating on the tires? I just got a single axle tilt trailer for pulling my Bobcat but want to see if I can get higher load rated tires for it. at 3042lb each now on 16" 8 lug rims
As for your truck, I seem to remember you said it was Free??? (maybe I am mistaken) and it pulls fine cuz you don't have those wierd big ol humps sticking out of the ground everywhere like we do in Colorado they are called mountains
by the way what one person says pulls fine another may say it pulls like crap.... so it really doesn't tell us much unless people are specific. like "my truck will only pull at 55mph on the freeway pulling such and such trailer or something

You would notice a big difference if you were pulling that load at elevation due to the power loss of naturally aspirated engines.....

Like I said in my first response, the OP's title and comments had written all over it..
I've replaced that hitch already as you are right, it was bent a little. (6k rating after looking at it.) I now have a 10k hitch on there and am looking to replace it soon with one in the 14k-16k range.

The trailer is only about 4 months? old and the tires are whatever came on it. I'll have to look at the load rating sometime. I'm already needing to replace 2 and am looking for a very heavy duty trailer tire. (Just caught a curb saturday and blew out one and the other is worn on the shoulder from a little incident with another curb and a bent axle which I already had fixed.)

It was actually a trade with my FIL. I gave him my 94 Infiniti J30t with 212k miles on it that was in incredible shape for the Excursion. I figured that the J was/is worth about $2,500 and the Excursion was worth $5,000 - $6,000 so I came out pretty good.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:51 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Hey - so I did the research and chose a diesel. Tows my 30ft Sea Ray just fine - and doesn't blow head gaskets... it does however idle quietly and doesn't smell....

Probably a good time to step away from the computer BEFORE you type something just to get people riled up. I'm sure you've been perfectly happy with all of your automotive purchases and never modded or changed one of them in the quest for more performance or mileage or...

Ah... back to the frosty beverage...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who else has had enough of the my V-10 gets crappy mileage/can't tow anything posts