Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a good rear camera and placement ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:17 PM
grishw1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a good rear camera and placement ideas?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I went up high by the third brake light:

I tow some trailers that are a bit tall, so the rise on the hitch was blocking my ability to use the camera to hook up. Plus, that low angle of a license frame cam isn't very good for estimating distance. I don't like to trust the backup sensors - I don't mind backing into a few bushes, but they make bushes sound just like a brick wall.

This has a great down angle to let me judge distance, and a nice view of the ball lining up under the trailer cup - first time every time.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:30 PM
ATV PRO #11
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have mine in the rear licence plate. Works perfect and better than cutting the bumper to insert it.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Gene Horr
Senior User
Above the license plate. But be sure and keep it centered! If you use it for backing up to a trailer if mounted on the side the parallax will make it very difficult to judge whether you are lined up.

Downside of that placement is that the license plate lights will cause a glare at night.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
attached to the upper license plate bracket, as viewed from my gentex rear view mirror

Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
hey kurt whats yoursetup? thats a great display of the ball hitch and exactly what i need, my wife is worthless with helping hookup trailers.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:07 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I used a $30 off eBay that has the parking lines in it to help gauge distance. Nice set up, but I don't have pics of placement. I know a slackard.
I placed mine right under rear doors, just under the plastic pc u see when you open rear doors. You need to kneel down to see it.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:11 PM
precisiontile
Senior User
I recently installed a camera to my upper license plate holes. I found a cheap camera on Amazon for $15.00, couldn't pass the chance to at least try it out! I am happy with the IR lights and camera image at night with all lights off except backup lights on the Ex. Thought I would share!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
I put mine in the liftgate cover, near the handle. It shows from the bumper to just above where the rear view mirror picks up. When the hitch ball is in, it's clearly visible. Hitchin' doesn't require anyone but me and I get it in the first or second shot. A second try mostly has to do with getting the hitch far enough under the receiver than getting it straight.

Have fun coming up with you'r own install.

Here is my install thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ard-wired.html

Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 PM
precisiontile
Senior User
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

I paid just a little over $11.00 dollars for it and with shipping I think it was almost $15.00 I have not had any problems with it and the picture is pretty clear. It does have lines on it that you cant eliminate, or I haven't figured it out! My Sony head unit also has the lines (i can shut off) that I adjusted to cover the ones that the camera had showing. I'm not sure how to post pictures or I would show you the images I have. If you go to the link I posted the first few comments show how well it works and it had a lot of decent reviews, just a few that said it was best to make sure it is sealed tight (I used silicone to cover the wire that goes into it and a few screw holes). I have a wieght distribution hitch and get the same image as Curts

Last edited by precisiontile; 02-22-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: added to post
Old 02-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Red Ex
Senior User
Ours is a license plate frame camera. Works great for hooking up the trailer or just backing down the driveway (day or night). The IR at night works great. Here is a picture hooking up the trailer.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
show me a picture of how well the ir works at night

Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 PM
grishw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by jasonodsky
I put mine in the liftgate cover, near the handle. It shows from the bumper to just above where the rear view mirror picks up. When the hitch ball is in, it's clearly visible. Hitchin' doesn't require anyone but me and I get it in the first or second shot. A second try mostly has to do with getting the hitch far enough under the receiver than getting it straight.

Have fun coming up with you'r own install.

Here is my install thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ard-wired.html

That is unbelievable, better than factory! I don't think the custom car guys could do better!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 AM
Shepherd2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jasonodsky

I put mine in the same spot. After messing around for an hour with duct tape that spot covered the most real estate and still let me see the bumper.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by grishw1
That is unbelievable, better than factory! I don't think the custom car guys could do better!
Thanks for the compliment! It was a fun and fairly simple install. Hands down mthe best mod to my Ex yet.

Shepherd2, I did the same thing. Messed around with it duct taped on the back until I could confirm the install angle so the hole put it in the right place for best view.

I can parallell park this thing like a Smart Car since I can see how close the bumper is to objects. I love to watch drivers as I back up SOOOO close to them that it makes them squirm

Quick Reply: Looking for a good rear camera and placement ideas?