1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Reverse mono Leaf? Pics from a 53-55 ford f100

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 PM
cmkelly06
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> Looking to drop my 55 f100 which is all stock and keeping it raty? I want to use a 4 inch front with a 5 inch reverse mono leaf springs from the original height with the straight in line 6 motor? I would like to see some pics of how low it sits if any one has any and do you think its the way to go. Not looking to spend a lot of money and not building a show truck. I wanted to bag it but there saying you have to put IFS in no matter what? Is that true. and also looking about 5000 for parts and install doing it the right way? I am looking to buy the reverse eyes from Durant enterprises for $900 for all 4 leafs? Other than swapping the leafs how much more is involved in a project like that?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:39 PM
low54
Elder User
Buy from MID FIFTY you'll save time and money, Also, Your not going to get the drop with just Mono's, you have crappy bump and ride, I suggest you get a short stack and drop axel if you want to stay stock...You'll end up spending alot more then you think so plan it out carefully...good luck...in my gallery are pics of my truck with Mono's in back...and front, I however, have shocks, sway bars, extended Y hangers, different wheels sizes...I'm putting a drop axel in this week so, might have pics next week sometime...

Old 06-02-2011, 04:06 PM
cmkelly06
New User
Originally Posted by low54
Buy from MID FIFTY you'll save time and money, Also, Your not going to get the drop with just Mono's, you have crappy bump and ride, I suggest you get a short stack and drop axel if you want to stay stock...You'll end up spending alot more then you think so plan it out carefully...good luck...in my gallery are pics of my truck with Mono's in back...and front, I however, have shocks, sway bars, extended Y hangers, different wheels sizes...I'm putting a drop axel in this week so, might have pics next week sometime...
[IMG]file:///Users/VideoAssist/Desktop/TRUCK%20STUFF/f100_2.jpg[/IMG]

What do you mean when you say i'll spend more money, if you don't mind, cause i def don't want to do that. When I say stock i just do not want to put IFS or 4 link in the truck. I would like lower the truck as much as possible so you think 5 inch in front and back with Y hangers along with moving the shakle up on the frame replace shocks and possibly a drop axle. Looking prob around 1500 does that sound right I would really like it to be level too! Not sitting like a hot rod. Here is a pic of what im trying to accomplish in the end w/o bagging it obviously, which i would rather do in the end[IMG]file:///Users/VideoAssist/Desktop/TRUCK%20STUFF/f100_2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 PM
low54
Elder User
I couldn't see the pic,...However, when I say it costs money I'm mean it will...Becaue you might start doing the things you want to do, but maybe, you find you need new king pins, bushings, leaf kit...bearings packed...it adds up...1500, you might get the rear down to where you want it...500 of that is just the rear leaf springs another 400 for fronts...without spending any money, might i suggest, moving the front rear hanger up, remove several of your springs front and back, then see if you like it...another thing, by lowering your truck, your giving it the hot rod look, because its not stock anymore

Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to throw in a few points too. Depending on how low you want to go, you may want to consider clipping it with Volare or a Mustang II kit. By the time you get the stock front axle dropped, you might find clearance issues with the engine's oil pan too, as I have. I don't know if the dropped axle helps out in this area, I don't have one. I only have a couple inches of clearance and that's really not good. by the time you invest all the money in the I beam to make it even comparable to a clip, you would have spent the same amount on a Mustang II kit and been done with it; disc brakes and all as well as power steering too. I've already shelled out the cash and did the Toyota box swap and gone through the front brakes, so I'm at the point of no return now.

Figure on replacing/buying these parts:
Dropped axle
New front springs
Rebuild drag link or replace for axle-forward springs
Rebuild brakes or upgrade to disc brakes
Tie rod upgrade
Dropped tie rod ends
New bump stops
Kingpins/bushings
*And optionally-
Toyota box swap
Steering column
Sway bar Kit

By the time you spend all the $$$ for this stuff, you'll be well over the cost of a Mustang II kit or a Volare setup. (whether or not you can install the stuff yourself will dictate further costs.