Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant from EGR

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:16 PM
putman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant from EGR

Hello,I have a 95 F150 5.0 EFI EOD. Yeaterday i sprang a coolant leak when i looked it was comeing from behind the EGR past the gasket and at the rear pasengers side of the block on to the ex manifold, couldn't quite see the source on that one. Has any one heard of this? Gasket?,craked cooling passages in the intake? Any input would be greatly appreciated,mike.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:21 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Coolant in the oil? Oil in the Coolant? I just had my lower intake apart last week, and if it was a crack in the lower intake, I would think it would be showing up in the oil as well.

IMHO, I would try to clean around the areas covered with coolant and try to narrow down the are to the leak. Could be a hose or bolt around hte timing cover squirting coolant all over everything making it difficult to spot. Could be the intake gasket blown, but I would think it would show up in either the coolant or the crankcase. Perhaps just a failed head gasket and it's weeping. Other than that, a cracked head is all I can think of right now. Perhaps another knowledgable member will chime in with some advice. Sorry I've never sene coolant from the EGR.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 372 Likes on 282 Posts
Yeah I don't see how coolant would even get in the EGR system without something fairly obvious being wrong. I'd check the hoses and make sure it isnt spraying like Timbersteel said.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:31 PM
putman
New User
Thanks for the replys guys. After letting it cool and dry i think ya'll were right it was spraying and driping from the EGR. Now it looks like the bottom bolt or metal suply line on the TB or some where right above. Going in to town to grab a gasket now that I have a starting point and will ****** the TB off tonite. Is this common on the 302? Any problem spots or things to look for? Thanks I freak a little bit when it comes to this truck it was my grand dad's he left it to me when he passed. It only has 60k on it he was 85 when he got it new in 96. Love the truck the look the color the ride she's my girl and i never miss treat her. My wife hates her and i'm pretty sure she hates my wife,no joke. Thanks,Mike

Old 05-30-2011, 01:56 PM
putman
New User
Wanted to update this thread one more time if any one has this happen and uses the search. After pulling the TB the leak was at the EGR and TB gasket. The freeze plug inside the intake tract on the TB was busted letting coolant into the TB-intake past the gasket. Dealer only part so down till at least tommrow.