Modular V10 (6.8l)  

HELP anyone. Misfire or cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:00 AM
litredneck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP anyone. Misfire or cutting out

I have a 99 f250 crewcab 4x4 v10. it cutting out. i change the spark plug. the cat. And it not throwing any codes. anyone can help me

Old 05-29-2011, 12:17 PM
EMC V10 X
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ground going bad?

Old 05-29-2011, 06:00 PM
litredneck
New User
I replace the clamps on the battery didn't help any.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:23 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the V10 forum.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:10 PM
litredneck
New User
that wear it at????????

Old 05-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can check "crank position sensor" see if it is cutting off the ignition coils . Some members of this forum had similar problems .

If that turns out OK , have your fuel rail pressure checked ( I am guessing , at idling may be 30-35 psi , under load maybe 40-45 psi ) . Report back . Good luck.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 PM
litredneck
New User
Won't that throw a code......

Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 PM
litredneck
New User
Won't that throw a code......

Old 05-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
CEL light and error codes come only under certain circumstances . You have a 1999 vehicle , may be not OBDII compliant , etc.
Did you hook up a scan to communicate with your PCM ? did the scan data show you have good fuel pressure? did the scan data show the PCM getting OK signal from crank position sensor ?

If I were you ,I would verify the functionality of crank position sensor and verify the fuel pressure . These are low cost or DIY items to start with . A bad CPK sensor and a failing fuel pump can be the cause of a "cutting out" . If you have a "hesitation", then, there may be a coil problem , you may consider swapping a brand new coil one by one until hesitation goes away ( since you say you changed the plugs ), how about plug booths? they can cause hesitation too. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 AM
ol'yeller
Senior User
X2 on the bad coil. My '99 had 2 bad coils and still didn't throw a code. I bought 2 coils and then did the one by one replacement thing until it ran better. Also, it is cheap insurance to replace all the spark plug boots. If it was time to replace your plugs, it is time to replace the plug boots.

I also seem to remember a post where someone got the coil wire snagged under a hold down bolt which shorted it to ground. I would think however that that would throw a code.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 AM
litredneck
New User
the other thing is it not doing it all the time. like last night it ran fine. but saturday it did it all day. it idle fine so if i change coil pack one at a time i don't know if it fix it with out driving it. i will change the boots on it this weekend. see if that works.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:58 AM
ol'yeller
Senior User
My 99 also did not miss all the time either. To complicate the repair process my problem only was apparent when going above 30 MPH. The idle seemed fine. My process was to replace one coil with the new one, go for a drive, if there was no improvement, take out new coil, reinstall old coil, take out next coil, replace with new coil, go for a ride again, repeat until problem goes away. You might get lucky and try the hard to reach plugs last hoping your problem isn't there. It was a pain doing it this way but it sure beat buying 10 new coils.

The heat from the engine causes cracks in the rubber boots over time which allows water down in the plug well which shorts out the coil. Sometimes you can fix the problem by completely drying out the plug well with compressed air and allowing the coils to dry out prior to reinstall but generally when they short out, they are ruined. I think you can check the coils using a multi-meter but I don't know how to do that. Of course you should also replace the boots which isn't a big expense. You'd think that the heat from the engine would dry out any moisture but my experience says this is not the case.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Future_LEO
Senior User
CEL won't come on for a misfire...but run a scanner and misfire codes will be there. Probably a bad coil or 2. Thats how mine was.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 PM
litredneck
New User
I just wanting to thank everyone for there input. I guess i will try it when start do it again. I don't know what it was it just started running right.