1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Headliner finished

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KidShalene
Have any idea what thickness of ABS he used ?? BTW, nice truck, lookin good

And excuse my ignorance, but what meet are you going to in Pigeon Forge? I always wanted to go to the F100 nats, but missed it again this year.
Thanks. I think it was 1/16 inch on the top and sides and a thicker size on the back. The car show in Pigeon Forge is on June 23 thru 25.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent work!!! Looks GREAT!!!

Old 06-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Doraville
Senior User
Very nice job. I just made my first attempt at my interior last week. It all turned out pretty nice except the headliner. I bought one of the sewn cardboard headliners from Classic Haulers and attempted to cover it with headliner fabric.

I wish that I would have studied your photo more closely before I dove off into it. It all looked good until I got to the corners. The one piece headliner was too concave for the fabric to go down without wrinkling. I made some relief cuts at the seams, but they look like crap.

I'm going to take it back off and cut the cardboard headliner at the seams so the fabric will have a place to "wrap" at the corners. I think I can get by with just one seam... we'll see. Probably the worst part is going to be getting the fabric back off so I can put down new.

I'll post some pics when I'm done. I'm really hoping to make it to Pigeon Forge too.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Oz52F1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mytbtruck
I put the carpet there because I have the spare tire behind the drivers seat . Larry.
That's funny.....my wife things it's odd that I'm storing my "spare tyre" in FRONT of the driver's seat

Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 PM
KidShalene
Senior User
Originally Posted by Doraville
Very nice job. I just made my first attempt at my interior last week. It all turned out pretty nice except the headliner. I bought one of the sewn cardboard headliners from Classic Haulers and attempted to cover it with headliner fabric.

I wish that I would have studied your photo more closely before I dove off into it. It all looked good until I got to the corners. The one piece headliner was too concave for the fabric to go down without wrinkling. I made some relief cuts at the seams, but they look like crap.

I'm going to take it back off and cut the cardboard headliner at the seams so the fabric will have a place to "wrap" at the corners. I think I can get by with just one seam... we'll see. Probably the worst part is going to be getting the fabric back off so I can put down new.

I'll post some pics when I'm done. I'm really hoping to make it to Pigeon Forge too.
Having a heck of a time finding ABS to attempt OP's headliner, so was going to try what you just described when I got around to it, let us know how your 'fix' works out.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:46 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by KidShalene
Having a heck of a time finding ABS to attempt OP's headliner, so was going to try what you just described when I got around to it, let us know how your 'fix' works out.
Ask for Sintra ABS panels

Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DV, the amount of effort and expertise required to get the material to lie the way you want it to is directly affected by the quality of the material. I don't know what you payed, but if it was on the low side, then that may be the problem. It's kind of like "pay me now or pay me latter." Jag

Old 06-06-2011, 12:24 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jag54 made a good point about the nut on the inside of that shoulder harness bracket, I used a jam nut in there and a couple of shims to give some adjustment and to keep the bracket from squooshing (?)(I guess that's a word) in the headliner. Good tips, overall a good thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Fifty-Fourd
Senior User
I bought my abs headliner from roddoors and it turned out really nice. I posted a thread a month or so back with pics. The panel made it really easy to install. You can email Blaine Roberts at bar@roddoors.com to see if he makes one for your application. Great customer service.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Doraville
Senior User
I don't know about the F100's, but the F1 cabs are small and the roof very concave. Has anyone been able to do a one piece headliner without seams in an F1?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Doraville

Don't feel too bad about doing something over. We glued padding to all the headliner pieces and all of them worked except the curved pieces on the sides. They wrinkled so bad until we had to take off the cloth and padding and use some more new cloth because it looked too bad when we pulled it off to use again. It worked good without the padding.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow...how could anyone bash Larrys truck! i have been saying Wow since the day i got on here!
I have a long time before i get to worry about my headliner though...

Larry all i can say is Wow...very nice...i can't imagine the determination and hours you have spent on it...