a4ld pushing the front seal out

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:19 PM
steve manley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a4ld pushing the front seal out

I have a 1992 4.0 ranger with a a4ld, twice now i've had the trans start smoking and then dump the oil on the ground. The 1st time i paid to have the trans fixed (3 yrs)ago. this time it blew exactlly the same so i pulled it out. the seal was on the t/c and not in the pump. I know there is a issues with the crank hub being off center of the bell housing but the seal did last for 3 year. the vent at the rear of the tail housing looked like it was working(fresh fliud around it). I can glue/stake in the seal in but is that going to do it? is this a pressure problem? the trans has a huge motor home cooler on it. help!!!!

Old 05-28-2011, 09:56 AM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Front seal blow out with a A4LD is a common problem especially after rebuild. I use red loctite around the seal and stake it around the top.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:45 AM
steve manley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks jk, the last seal was staked in 1/2 dozen places. The t/c came out with what looked like heat marks in the paint. Is a new pump less likely to push out, maybe the reman pump has a looser fit. thanks

Old 05-28-2011, 03:59 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I am not sure that you can find a brand new pump and bell housing, they are most likely all reman pumps and good used bell housings. I haven't had a seal blow out since I started to use red loctite on them and staking about 4 spots around the seal. when staking the seal make sure that you can get some of the aluminum to move over on top of the lip of the seal to help keep it in place.

If the converter look like its been so hot that the paint is burnt I would at least replace the converter and it might also need some valve body work, you will just have to see how it works once you get it all back together.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
converter/seal blowout

This thread is really old, but I would like to reply with some info that comes from the E4OD links and I am sure applies to the A4LD. I have an E4OD and have experience the very same problem but I fixed mine. Actually given info by a ford mechanic. Maybe a newer thread somewhere, but I dont see it yet.

The converter seal is blown out by very hot converter oil inside the converter. It is not a seal issue. The converter heat is generated because of the older style single clutch disc or its material (thats what my info said). Later versions of the E4OD (maybe all lock up converters of different trannys) had better clutches/more clutches in pack/LUK clutches--etc. The lockup clutch starts to slip, just like a dry clutch and generates lots of heat. In oil, it heats the oil.

The hot (superheated?) oil creates excessive pressure in the converter and will ultimately cause the seal to deform and "flex" outward off the shaft. The pressurized oil then blows out. After it cools (per my ford mechanic friend--it worked!) the seal usually re-seat and then fluid can be put back in and driven. I did that on my E4OD and some time later replaced the OEM (93) converter with a newer one for an e350 ambulance. A little too much stall for me though, but it does lockup and hold. My bronco has held and towed for over 50K miles.

I am trying to confirm that the same applies to this A4LD tranny, but have had no one confirm it with experience. Sooooooo, you may need to take a grain of salt along with this info-------works for me/my story and stickin to it!!

Old 04-06-2014, 08:19 AM
stuart1
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup it's old.

In my rebuilding life, 50 years of it, the return holes behind the seal must be enlarged.