Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

New "X" Toy hauler

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Senior User

bfediuk has a good reputation on FTE.bfediuk has a good reputation on FTE.
New "X" Toy hauler

Finally picked up a new towing rig. 2002 PSD "X". Needed something to move my wife and I, 3 kids (maybe more later), 2 dogs, and all the stuff that comes along with that crew.

It only has 100k km (60k miles), vinyl floor, and cloth seats... perfect.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Senior User

I can't how this truck handles.. It is just like all of the forums say. The suspension is too soft, front end bottoms out all the time, it wanders like crazy on the highway, and rolls over in curves.

First thing to conquer is the suspension
new springs (v/b codes - already in hand, got them from a local spring shop and had the b codes re-arched for an extra 2")
new shocks (got some Rancho RS9000)
new sway bar bushings in the front (on order - will be here tomorrow)
new rear hellwig sway bar for the rear (on order - will be here next week)

After that, it has several other issues
1 - oil leak on the top of the engine, runs down the pass. side onto the manifold so I often have a burning oil smell.... This is currently be diagnosed by Ford
2 - open door light stays on all the time
3 - interior light don't work
4 - rear door/hatch locks don't work
Old 05-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Congratulations! New springs and shocks will make a huge difference.

I'd like to see some pics of the vinyl floors. I keep thinking that I'd like that and figure I probably oughta try to order it if its still available. Anybody have part #'s?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Post Fiend

X_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputationX_Hemi_Guy has a superb reputation
Check the tires too...make sure they are E rated tires as some folks have found D rated tires on their Ex's when they bought them...that will make a big difference too.

Ford initially equipped Ex's with D rated tires but I believe they had a recall and upgraded them all to E's.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go...the things you mentioned are things that will make a big difference...but also make sure you have someone check out the ball joints too...you are in the neighborhood where those are known to go...especially on the heavier PSD engined Ex's.

joe.
Big BS'r #19 and Slackmaster #30
Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 AM
You'll shoot your eye out

TXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputationTXtinct has a superb reputation
I looked at one with the vinyl floor and thought that would be good to have with kids... Good luck with your upgrades.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy View Post
Good luck and keep us posted on how things go...the things you mentioned are things that will make a big difference...but also make sure you have someone check out the ball joints too...you are in the neighborhood where those are known to go...especially on the heavier PSD engined Ex's.

joe.
Thanks! The ball joints were actually done before I bought it. Front axle seemed good except for the sway bar bushings.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:08 AM
Senior User

For those interested in the rare, vinyl floor, here are some pics. This is the best feature of this Ex.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:02 AM
Elder User

tims01 has a very good reputation on FTE.tims01 has a very good reputation on FTE.tims01 has a very good reputation on FTE.
omfg fml i wish mine had the vinyl floor you have noooo idea what 4 year old hot chocolate smells like even after its shampooed out
Old 05-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Posting Guru

locknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud of
Congrats on the new truck. I'd definitely like the rear section in vinyl, wonder if that's a separate part#?
Mike, PAA Member #127 2000 Excursion Limited PSD- ATS ported housing, Riffraff's FRx, HPx, I/C boots, billet wheel, plenum inserts. 6.0 IC&TC, Bellowed Up pipes, DiPricol Optix gauges, DP Tuner-80t, Drive-Thru, 80e, 120race, 6637, 4" MBRP, 4" hanger, Vcodes/F350 blocks, Bilsteins, Airbags, '08 diff cover, Dunlop Rover M/TMaxx 315s.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/locknload223/Excursion/c1348fc3-1808-4ae5-86a2-c9782d743849.jpg
Old 05-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by locknload223 View Post
Congrats on the new truck. I'd definitely like the rear section in vinyl, wonder if that's a separate part#?
Complete set $275 shipped - 'includes passenger and cargo area'. I ordered some samples to make sure what color I want!
Ford Excursion Molded Replacement Vinyl - Complete Set

I'll clean the carpet and put it in storage...
Old 05-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Posting Guru

locknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud oflocknload223 has much to be proud of
Thanks Jason, I sent them an email asking if they would sell just the cargo section.
Mike, PAA Member #127 2000 Excursion Limited PSD- ATS ported housing, Riffraff's FRx, HPx, I/C boots, billet wheel, plenum inserts. 6.0 IC&TC, Bellowed Up pipes, DiPricol Optix gauges, DP Tuner-80t, Drive-Thru, 80e, 120race, 6637, 4" MBRP, 4" hanger, Vcodes/F350 blocks, Bilsteins, Airbags, '08 diff cover, Dunlop Rover M/TMaxx 315s.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/locknload223/Excursion/c1348fc3-1808-4ae5-86a2-c9782d743849.jpg
Old 05-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Postmaster

I appreciate the reps Mike, although it was just a couple minutes of 'work' using the almighty power of the gooogle.

I WILL be ordering the complete set, unless the samples are just really bad. Look for me to post a write-up when I completely tear the inside of my X apart to install it!

Its actually cheaper than 'all weather floor mats' and eliminates the issues from funky stuff getting into the carpet. These only do so much and do not address the issues from past sins... Protection Package Details
Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Senior User

So I'm ready to start doing the suspension. I have all of the parts except the hellwig rear sway bar. Front/rear springs, front/rear shocks, and u-bolts are all in hand.

Before I start, I thought I'd take all of the measurements.

Front ground to top of fender well = 38 1/4"
Rear ground to top of fender well = 39 3/8"
Ground to front valence = 13 7/8"
Ground to bottom of trailer chain loops = 15 1/4"
Front bump stop clearance = about an inch
Squat with my offroad rig and trailer attached = 2 11/16"

I'll start unbolting stuff tomorrow (unless Ford can take the truck back in again, cause they didn't freakin' fix the oil leak like they thought they did!!)
Old 06-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Senior User

So the other day I took off the bush guard on the front of the truck. The thing was silly and kinda vibrated a little. The funny thing was that it uses the 4 front mounting bolts for the bumper and I didn't realize that I had to put them back in to hold the bumper on. Good thing the other 2 bolts were still in!!

Anyway, started my suspension today. I know that many guys have posted stuff like this before but I like to keep a record of it too. So here goes. Step by step.

1 - Remove the bumper. This includes several steps
a - Take out the 4 bolts on the front. 2 on each side, on the outside of the tow hooks (these were already out on mine)

b - remove the support bracket bolts (1 on each side of the truck, inside the front fender well, near the front)

c - the block heater cord has to be released from the bumper. Mine was taped to clips on the bumper in 2 spots
d - detach the rubber flashing that connects to the bottom of the bumper. If you look in the bottom opening of the bumper, you can see the three connectors that need to be pried apart

Old 06-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Senior User

So here is the bumper off

Old 06-08-2011, 01:01 AM