Sponsored by:

New "X" Toy hauler

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:02 AM
bfediuk
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the reminder!
I've only ever known the 285s on this truck (265s are stock but were gone before I got it). Since I've had the tuner though, I've wanted a slightly higher overdrive anyway.
The diesel had no trouble pulling the 8500lbs I pull with the 285s so this..... 4 or 5% increase should be great!
It will put the speedo slightly off though, where the 285s, even though they were bigger than stock, seemed to have the speedo bang on with the GPS.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:20 PM
bfediuk
Senior User

Wheel spacers

So, got my steel spacers. 2" from wheeladapters.com. Got mine with 14x2 studs (coarse thread) as that is what is on my truck.

Found 2 studs that weren't straight on one of the spacers. It was the one shipped on the top of the stack. You can see when there is another spacer on top of it it is slightly off-centre. This was preventing me from putting the spacer on the new wheels (for test fit). The fix was easy. I pressed out the crooked studs, pushed them partly back in, then mounted another spacer on top of this one and bolted them together. the lug pulls the stud through and keeps it centered. Perfect.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:28 PM
bfediuk
Senior User

Wheel spacers

Painted the spacers black (just to prevent rust). Here is one sitting on the rear hub. The stock studs are about 1/8" short of flush with the wheel mounting surface, so the studs did not need to be shortened (on the back hubs anyway)

After torqueing the spacers down to 160ft-lb and using some red Loctite, I mounted the wheel.

And here it is with the 2015 center cap

Old 05-24-2015, 06:38 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I like how you've been updating this thread for a couple years now. Nicely done!

I'm curious, where are you located? You mentioned Kms as opposed to miles and I'm hoping you are one of those ultra rare Canadian Ex owners that is a member on FTE

Old 05-24-2015, 06:42 PM
bfediuk
Senior User

20" wheels

And now here is the front. The studs stick through a little bit more so it was necessary to grind away about 1/8". You can see one that I already did.

And I knew this issue was unresolved. Using the 2015 (or the 2002) center caps with the holes do not work.

For now, I'm using a set of 2002 solid caps

Old 05-24-2015, 06:48 PM
bfediuk
Senior User

20" wheels

And here are some pics of the finished product. Rides nice. I like the look of the skinnier looking tires. They are quite a bit taller than my last set and did touch the inner fender on the back of the front tires

Old 05-24-2015, 06:50 PM
bfediuk
Senior User

Originally Posted by sessland
I like how you've been updating this thread for a couple years now. Nicely done!

I'm curious, where are you located? You mentioned Kms as opposed to miles and I'm hoping you are one of those ultra rare Canadian Ex owners that is a member on FTE

I am from Northern Alberta (Fort McMurray). So I am one of those people!

I used to like it better when I progressed things much faster..... that was before kids of course!

Old 05-24-2015, 08:01 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
That's a great Ex, good for big families like mine and yours that tow!

Old 01-17-2016, 10:02 PM
bfediuk
Senior User

Archoil

Was time for an oil change today.

Decided to try going synthetic AND add some archoil additive. Gonna see if it really runs quieter and helps with cold starting. I'm skeptical

Added 16oz of archoil and 15l of 5W40 Rotella Synthetic.
It always amazes me how big the filter is for the 7.3

Old 01-18-2016, 01:16 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did my last oil change about a month ago and switched to Rotella5w40 also..i did Archoil in the summer. Seems to run a lot quieter and start up pretty good without being plugged in at 0-5 degrees F with no problems. I like it and will stay with it may change to a different brand of synthetic but for now Rotella it is.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:22 PM
bfediuk
Senior User

Archoil

Here are my observations of my latest oil change (synthetic and Archoil)

First off.... I have run synthetic oil before, but without the archoil.

Synthetic Rotella 5W40
Cold starts - The truck still had a hard time starting. Don't know if there was any difference, really. However, with the synthetic, I got more white smoke at start up.
Noise - engine sounded about the same. May have been slightly quieter at start up
Smoothness - same

Synthetic Rotella 5W40 AND Archoil
Cold starts - The truck will start at -20C!!. It smokes like crazy, but can actually start in relatively cold weather.
Noise - slightly quieter at start up. Couldn't notice a difference when warmed up.
Smoothness - The cold idle may have been a little smoother.... but not much. And the rest of the time, I couldn't tell.

Overall, I was able to get a truck that started better in the winter with the Archoil. I plan to watch for changes in mileage and oil consumption over the next few months.

Last edited by bfediuk; 03-03-2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: forgot to delete some stuff from edit box
Old 03-03-2016, 10:09 PM
freesoul
Senior User
Originally Posted by bfediuk
For those interested in the rare, vinyl floor, here are some pics. This is the best feature of this Ex.

This just sold me, I'm pulling the carpet out and doing bedliner in mine!

Old 03-04-2016, 06:23 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by freesoul
This just sold me, I'm pulling the carpet out and doing bedliner in mine!

Expect the interior sound level to increase, the carpeting (and the backing material) that you have now deadens a certain amount of road noise. I think that even the factory rubber floor covering has some sound absorption backing material under it.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Not only the noise but the temperature change as well with bed liner material. AFAIK you can purchase sections of the vinyl flooring.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:54 PM
bfediuk
Senior User

sound deadening

Ya guys, I think my Ex is considerably louder inside because of that flooring. Was just talking to my wife that this is the only thing I don't care for in the Ex, it's noisy. Around town and on the highway.

I'm planning to pull the seats and flooring out this summer and bed line the interior for additional protection and sound deadening.

Does anyone have experience with any kind of sound deadening material/coating I could use under my rubber mats? I was figuring bed liner would help to some degree.

Quick Reply: New "X" Toy hauler