New "X" Toy hauler - Page 7 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign In
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion SPONSORED BY:

New "X" Toy hauler

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Elder User

Mr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to behold
Awesome! Those are the best!

2005 Ex. 6l w/'04 sticker on valve cover, FICM by Ed. Thanks USCG_PA for the CAC pipe!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:13 PM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
that is pretty nifty. I almost wonder if I should do something similar for my wife. She's 5'4" and cannot reach most of the interior. It's kinda funny watching her climb up in there...but I'm worried she'll slip and bust herself up

Previous Fords: 2012 Flex Limited, 2009 Mustang Bullitt, 2008 Expedition EL Limited, 2006 F-250 PSD Lariat, 2006 F-150 FX4, 2003 Mustang GT, 2002 Excursion V-10 XLT, 1998 F-150 XL, 1995 Mustang, 1994 F-150 XL, 1993 Bronco XLT, 1989 F-150 Custom, 1980 F-150 Custom
Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 PM
Senior User

bfediuk has a good reputation on FTE.bfediuk has a good reputation on FTE.bfediuk has a good reputation on FTE.
Click the image to open in full size.

New Headlights

Finally got sick of the pale signal lights on the front. The orange was pretty well washed away from water getting in there every time it rained or I washed the truck.

Cheap, plain, from ebay. Just couldn't see myself with some fancy projector/LED/Halo lights.

The fresh reflectors make for a little brighter headlight as well

Easy job. Alignment was completed on my driveway and garage door!
Old 04-27-2015, 10:52 PM
Senior User

bfediuk has a good reputation on FTE.bfediuk has a good reputation on FTE.bfediuk has a good reputation on FTE.
Newer Mirrors

Picked up some newer towing mirrors with signal lights/markers and manual extension.

Another simple job..... however, the light on the outside will not work without modifying the wiring. At the time I wasn't interested in doing this so I just plugged the connector into the factory harness and the power adjustment function was retained.

Here is the old mirror

Here are the mirrors next to each other

Didn't even get a pic of the final install!! what the heck!? I'll dig out a picture of the truck in action with the mirrors on and out.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:58 PM
Senior User

It's amazing what a few hours (and $s) will do to the appearance of your truck and it's usefulness/performance.

Also got sick of the broken front vents/valences or whatever you call them at the bottom, front of the windshield. They were this way when I bought the truck and have always bothered me.

On the highway, with a head wind, there was a loud flapping noise due to additional air getting under them and playing with the wiper linkage and washer hosing.

Another easy job (1 hour). Just remove the wiper arms, mounting screws for these pieces, and the washer hoses/nozzles.

Here are the new (left) and old (right)

Here is a close up of some of the damaged piece.

Looks like new.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Senior User

Got some 20s

So I've now worn out my BFG ATs. I've put 75k km (about 45k miles) on them and they are down to a few mm of tread and most of the sipes are gone.

About a third of that was towing between 4 and 8k lbs.

I've always liked taller skinnier tires so the idea of a 275/65R20 was appealing. I run a 285/75R16. So going to some 20's should get me an extra inch and a bit of height and be about half an inch narrower.

So I picked up some 2015 take-offs and plan to buy some wheel spacers (for now.... future plans will be for wider axles). They are from a platinum f-350. This picture was not taken to show the size difference!!

Here are my current 16" rims and BFG 285/75R16

Here are the new 20" rims and Michelin LTX 276/65R20. I just had to bolt one on to see how inset it would be.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:53 PM
Posting Guru

Bently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant future
Updates looking good. My truck has some 08' wheels on it and you do lose a bit of turning radius.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:56 PM
Senior User

You mean you run them without spacers??

I can't believe the back don't rub. I can't put a finger between the tire and the back of the wheel well.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:22 AM
Senior User

So I've read the posts about these wheels, needing spacers (or not), how they look mounted without spacers, what it means to the steering.

Here is what my own investigation has given me.

So, I mounted one of the rears to get a feel for how "inset" the tire/wheel would look without a spacer. I'ver heard some comments like "it looks like a railroad truck". Here is the rear on mine.

For me, the picture doesn't show it well enough. It makes the tire look like it's too far in. I also found that there is very little clearance behind the tire (between the tire and the wheel well). It must be less than 1/2".

So I took the two tires in the shop and did some comparative measurements and found some interesting things. The measurements are tabulated.

1 - The tires are actually the same width. The tread is visibly narrower on the 20, but the tire's overall widths are identical.... 11". This is likely because of the narrower 16" wheel (16x7 vs 20x8)

2 - Comparing the offsets of both wheels shows that the track width would be decreased by 1 3/8" per side (When I say track width, I'm talking about the measurement from middle of left tire to middle of right tire). This 1.375" is less than the 1 7/8" difference that is often quoted when people are talking about changing from 99-04 wheels to 05+. This is obviously because they are talking about the difference in back spacing, which I confirmed was 1.875". This difference is irrelevant though when you are talking about different width wheels. the 20 is an inch wider, so subtract half of that from the BS and you get 1.375 offset difference.

3 - So using 2" spacers will actually increase your track width by 5/8" on either side.... making your track 1 1/4" wider.... totally acceptable in my books, so I plan on getting some 2" spacers.

4 - Diameter wise, my worn out BFG were right on the manufacturer spec. If you put the rubber back on that had worn off, you'd be right at the 32.9" they advertise. But with mine worn they are 32.5". The Michelins measure at 34.5, slightly taller than the literature (34.1), but they are fully inflated as well (80 psi).

Conclusion.
Going to the 20s and using 2" Wheel spacers (talked with Fred already) will give me:
1 - extra 1.5" of tire diameter
2 - same width tire but slightly narrower tread (easier steering, better tracking on the highway)
3 - 1.25" wider track but the same overall tread width (outside tread to outside tread), meaning the same stability on the road.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:46 AM
Posting Guru

Bently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfediuk View Post
You mean you run them without spacers??

I can't believe the back don't rub. I can't put a finger between the tire and the back of the wheel well.
They came on the truck when purchased. Only issue I have is when they rub the front leafs at lock. Keep in mind mine is a F250 Super Duty, the Excursion chassis may very slightly in the rear wheel well.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:06 AM
Senior User

Oh, forgot the pic with the mirrors.

Here's the truck getting used (and the mirrors)
Old 04-28-2015, 01:09 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
They came on the truck when purchased. Only issue I have is when they rub the front leafs at lock. Keep in mind mine is a F250 Super Duty, the Excursion chassis may very slightly in the rear wheel well.

Oh right, didn't notice that.

I'm sure they're quite different around the rear wheels.... think my inner fender well is quite a bit out from the frame rail. So likely less clearance on the rear on an excursion with those wheels....

However, there have been excursion guys running them too.... without the spacers
Old 04-28-2015, 01:17 AM
Posting Guru

What kind of car is on the trailer?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:57 AM
Senior User

It's a '71 Toyota Crown. It's a buddy's. I picked up some axles. He picked up a car. We hauled them home.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:18 AM
World Famous Mod

WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Byron, nice work with the tire/rim math. . But don't forget to take into account the drop in effective gear ratio going from (stock) 31.5" up to those 34.5" tires, even with the Deezle that much change may affect your heavier trailer towing especially on hills. I know a gasser would feel it.

Tom 2005 Excursion XLT V-10 4X4, '04 SD 18"s, Modded X/B's, 35" Nittos, 4.88s.
'08 Mirrors, Hellwig, Ultra-Gauge, Banks Headers, 5 Star Tunes, GlowShifts, Ranchos.
ASPEN GREEN (Jolly Green Giant) Grey Cloth Interior, WeatherTech Mats.
'89 SeaRay 220CC 325HP Mercruiser Alpha, Full Camper Canvas, 11' Achilles 8HP Merc.
'14 Jayco Eagle Premier 338RETS TT, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy P3, TST 507RV TPMS, 61'.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:18 AM