Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Senior User

bfediuk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bfediuk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Decided it was time to replace the crappy old stereo in the truck. What was wrong with the stereo?
1 - it has a useless tape deck
2 - there has been a CD stuck in it since I got it (and it's a crappy Daughtry CD)
3 - the buttons are all sticky from lots of dust in the truck... like some of the other buttons on the dash/steering wheel. PO obviously liked to drive with the windows down on gravel roads.

Installed a touch screen, double din stereo that can play cds or dvds and can control my ipod through the screen.
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's the install
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...o-install.html
Old 10-02-2012, 03:13 AM
Posting Guru

VQT has a great reputation on FTE.VQT has a great reputation on FTE.VQT has a great reputation on FTE.VQT has a great reputation on FTE.VQT has a great reputation on FTE.
Reps for you
Old 10-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Posting Guru

VQT has a great reputation on FTE.VQT has a great reputation on FTE.VQT has a great reputation on FTE.VQT has a great reputation on FTE.VQT has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfediuk View Post
Step 6 - Installed the shackle on the new spring.
Here's a pic showing how I got the nut/bolt off. It was pretty tight

Step 7 - Installed the spring on the truck
a - rested the spring/shackle on the rear hanger and installed the front spring bolt (leave it loose)
b - Installed the bolt through the shackle (leave it loose)
c - positioned the axle to line up the spring center bolt to the axle perch
d - installed the u-bolts (left them loose for now)

Because the spring is slightly shorter in length, you can see here the difference in the shackle angle. The factory spring had the shackle sitting vertical
Is that thet exact position when you losen the nut/bolt off the spring? How did you get the spring to be stationary? Did the socket stay on the nut/bolt the whole time? Did you have any one help? would two people enough to losen this bolt?

Thanks,
Old 10-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Senior User

bfediuk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bfediuk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VQT View Post
Is that thet exact position when you losen the nut/bolt off the spring? How did you get the spring to be stationary? Did the socket stay on the nut/bolt the whole time? Did you have any one help? would two people enough to losen this bolt?

Thanks,
Pretty sure I did it myself. I think I stood on the pipe and lifted up on the wrench..? maybe.

The spring should move around too much if you're holding the nut and bolt. You could park something on the spring or the pipe (another vehicle?) or have a friend help do it.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Posting Guru

Thank you bfediuk,

Got it out with cheater bar finally, this is heavy work for me.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:39 AM
Senior User

Next on the list was to get rid of the pulsing brakes. Thought I'd start with the fronts (assuming this is where the warped rotors are).

As soon as you take the wheels off you can see that the front rotors are warped (I'll show pics how, after)

Simple changeout. I don't know why I didn't buy pads at the same time, but mine were almost worn to the metal. Replaced them 1000km after the rotors.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:43 AM
Senior User

Ended up finishing the last 800km of my last trip with bad vibration over 95kph! Figured it had to be a bad u-joint, and sure enough, it was bad! I can't believe it didn't let go.

Here's the new one in the driveshaft. It was the rear one of the rear driveshaft (at the axle pinion)

Will complete a "how-to", for dummies, shortly.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Senior User

Picked up some gray leather 2nd and 3rd row seats to replace my cloth ones. What I didn't realize was that the 2nd row pull-out arm rest didn't have cup holders in it!!

So here I took the two arm rests out (the old one and new one) and removed their covers. The covers are the same minus the hole cut for the cupholders and the foam pads are the same minus the hole cut as well.

Cut a similar hole in the leather cover (just like the one in the cloth cover)

Installed the leather cover over the old cloth seat foam pad. Perfect!

Next, planning to install 3rd row head rests.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Elder User

garryk6 is a name known to allgarryk6 is a name known to allgarryk6 is a name known to allgarryk6 is a name known to allgarryk6 is a name known to allgarryk6 is a name known to all
Where did you score the covers? Aftermarket? OEM? Used?
Thanks!
Garry in Kodiak, AK
2000 Excursion 6.8 4x4 Limited. Stock for now...
1932 Ford "Model B" Pick-up (wtg for restoration)
Old 11-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Senior User

Crunk has a good reputation on FTE.Crunk has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk6 View Post
Where did you score the covers? Aftermarket? OEM? Used?
Thanks!
Garry in Kodiak, AK

Would also love to know! I've been hunting and can't find anything reasonable
Old 11-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Senior User

They were used replacement seats.... not just the covers, the entire seats. 3rd row I picked up from some dude that limo'd his truck, then I sold my cloth one.
2nd row I found from a guy that had planned to install it in his quad bucket ex but sold the truck.
So I kept the old second row to make mods to the other seats (like the headrests).
Old 11-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Posting Guru

ATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to beholdATV PRO #11 is a splendid one to behold
ATVPRO11 ATVPRO11
Reps!!
Subscribed. Great write up from a fellow Canadian
Old 11-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Postmaster

Pickupmanx2 is a name known to allPickupmanx2 is a name known to allPickupmanx2 is a name known to allPickupmanx2 is a name known to allPickupmanx2 is a name known to allPickupmanx2 is a name known to all
Nice write ups and pics!! This coming from a guy who still has a dumba$$ phone and only thinks about pics after I am done and drinking a beer!
77/F150/SB/4x/NP435
66/F100/240/T18
63/F250/Flatbed/4x4/T-18
Old 11-16-2013, 04:40 AM
Senior User

2 pieces of work on the go.

1 - Have the 3rd row seat back stripped down for installing headrests

2 - Picked up a used Buckstop (with winch and lights) to clean up and install
Old 11-16-2013, 10:22 AM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
No freaking fair! I need a bumper like that

can't wait to see her all gussied up
Old 11-16-2013, 10:22 AM