Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Air Conditioning Re-Charge 1979 F250

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
If you want everything to remain the same just use Freeze-12, it is an R12 equivelent that is compatible with the existing hoses and oil. Based on propane BTW.

The o-rings have nothing to do woth the conversion, but the actual hoses themselves. R134 can seep thru R12 hoses since they are not dual shield etc.

For those that are scared of propane then avoid nearly all city buses, city trucks etc that are running on propane, let alone forklifts and other systems that use propane including home heating.

Josh

Old 05-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
True, but your not riding around with the vapor in the cab...........

Yes, they sell it in Canada. They sold it in the US, but for only a couple of years.

It is a replacement. No american manufacturing company uses propane.

I looked at their MSDS sheet's. and it says the gas is EXPLOSIVE...........

I would NEVER put propane in any AC system for any of my customers, and I do a lot of AC work.
List of refrigerants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nearly all are made from butane, propane, or methane in some from or another. All the of the types above are mildly to vigoursly flammable.

Ammonia which as I understand common in RV's and such will hurt you in a bad way, and if it kills you turn your body black.

And some of the 1100 and 600 series are even worse.

Only the 700 series is almost intirely non-flammable expect hydrogen. Also Nitrous Oxide is part of this family. While itself is not flammable it makes everything else extremely flammable.

Plus nearly all the oils are flammable in an ac system, and if they get projected out under pressure there flammibily just goes up becouse they could reach the proper AFR for bad things.

Plus in many industrial places they seem to love to store used oil from the comprssor oil changes. Why? maybe just a good luck charm. I was in one building where they had about 50 gallons of used compressor oil sitting right by the compressor.

Also what if you used 134A in a customers house. If its near a heater that would suck in fresh air you may have risked introducing posgene gas into there house killing them all. Under a critical failure of course.

Is propane worse yes, but it does work. I would use it in a heart beat if my truck had an ac system in need of servicing, but it doesn't. So one day I will just have to use one of the other "mildly" flammable re-placements in my hot rod air or what ever I buy.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:34 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have never done the "r134 conversion" just vac out the system and put in r134. (3 trucks 2 cars 2 vans 2 tractors in the last 10 years and all still work great)

Old 05-30-2011, 09:00 AM
robertbenita
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
If you want everything to remain the same just use Freeze-12, it is an R12 equivelent that is compatible with the existing hoses and oil. Based on propane BTW.

For those that are scared of propane then avoid nearly all city buses, city trucks etc that are running on propane, let alone forklifts and other systems that use propane including home heating.

Josh
What is the difference between regular propane and the refrigerant propane that is used to manufacture the DURACOOL® products?The propane that is regularly used for barbecues, and general consumer or commercial use is a by product or deritive of the hydrocarbon manufacturing process (the production and refining of raw oil products). The propane used for standard applications (such as your home barbecue). In order to utilize the product as "refrigerant grade" the product is further refined to render out methane gases and other impurities. This refrigerant propane is different in many ways, most notably is the disparity in the auto ignition. Essentially this refining makes the product safer and more stable. The Auto ignition for regular grade propane is ~842 F., while the DURACOOL® products auto ignition is ~1635 F.

So my point being that nobody recommends that you just run down and get "propane" and put it into your a/c system. And take a closer look at the design of the items you mention! A huge difference in a system designed for versus adapting it as you see fit. There seems to always be someone that says you can do something without truly recognizing that in all actuality, you can't do it safely. If this saves one person from thinking they can just add propane, good to go.

Fabmandelux, I am with you on this and I am sure I have much less experience in the field than you! Ziegelsteinfaust and Bullit390 can do whatever they want to their vehicles or whatever, but suggesting to others is in poor form on a board such as this. But hopefully anyone reading these items wouldn't just take it as the gospel just because it was on the internet!

And there is a distinct reason, as well as many many others, why I choose to live in the USA and not Europe! And particularly important today in my mind.

God bless the troops and God bless the USA! Happy Memorial Day!

Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by robertbenita
What is the difference between regular propane and the refrigerant propane that is used to manufacture the DURACOOL® products?The propane that is regularly used for barbecues, and general consumer or commercial use is a by product or deritive of the hydrocarbon manufacturing process (the production and refining of raw oil products). The propane used for standard applications (such as your home barbecue). In order to utilize the product as "refrigerant grade" the product is further refined to render out methane gases and other impurities. This refrigerant propane is different in many ways, most notably is the disparity in the auto ignition. Essentially this refining makes the product safer and more stable. The Auto ignition for regular grade propane is ~842 F., while the DURACOOL® products auto ignition is ~1635 F.

So my point being that nobody recommends that you just run down and get "propane" and put it into your a/c system. And take a closer look at the design of the items you mention! A huge difference in a system designed for versus adapting it as you see fit. There seems to always be someone that says you can do something without truly recognizing that in all actuality, you can't do it safely. If this saves one person from thinking they can just add propane, good to go.

Fabmandelux, I am with you on this and I am sure I have much less experience in the field than you! Ziegelsteinfaust and Bullit390 can do whatever they want to their vehicles or whatever, but suggesting to others is in poor form on a board such as this. But hopefully anyone reading these items wouldn't just take it as the gospel just because it was on the internet!

And there is a distinct reason, as well as many many others, why I choose to live in the USA and not Europe! And particularly important today in my mind.

God bless the troops and God bless the USA! Happy Memorial Day!
I never said to run down and buy a bottle of BBQ propane and inject the stupid crap into the automobile a/c system. I said to use Freeze-12 freeze 12 r12,FREEZE12 COMPATIBLE R12 REPLACEMENT A/C REFRIGERANT which just so happens to use SOME propane.

Learn to read dude.

I find your paranoia of propane rather funny. Again, you would best avoid ALL PUBLIC transportation that uses propane for it's fuel and also all BBQ get-togethers. Which might not be a problem for you to avoid BBQ's as with your non-sense and unsocialability I doubt you even have friends.

Josh

Old 05-30-2011, 12:24 PM
robertbenita
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Josh
You are classless, AH!

Old 05-30-2011, 01:14 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts