Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2011, 03:32 PM
New User

Roadhunter is starting off with a positive reputation.
2006 6.0 CEL and Low Turbo Boost

I have a 2006 F350 6.0l that has been babied all it's life. I very rarely tow anything with it, I just like the smell and the noise. Yesterday on the way home I looked down at the gauges and noticed the Check Engine Light was on. I didn't notice anything unusual in the performance, I wasn't towing anything, but I noticed that the Turbo Boost gauge wasn't going any higher than 20 lbs. I only have 66,000 kms on it but the warranty was over last year. I took it to the dealer to have a look and when they wrote it up the tech advisor wrote that it was lacking power but I told him that the power wask OK. Anyway, I picked it up as they still haven't looked at it, I was nervous they were going to just replace the turbo by default. I bought a Superchips Cortex code reader/programmer but haven't opened up the box yet. any suggestions before I open up the box and then I can't return it? I am hoping that I might be able to clear the codes but I don't know if I might have bigger problems.
Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Do you want a programmer? If not, you should return the Superchips Cortex. If you just want to read the code, you can do better than that. If you want a tuner, you can do better than that. In short, you can do better than that.

You also cannot guess the code simply because it didn't boost over 20#. Without a good load on it, that might be all the boost you would see.

Either get the code read, by going to any shop, or maybe even an autopart store... OR ...take a chance that you just have a sticky turbo and try to free it up by hitting the highway for a long hard run. If the problem is gone the code will turn itself off after a few start cycles. Not sure how many.

The code could be as simple as an EGR flow issue (most common). You just don't know without reading the code.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Senior User

Dieselpop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
For the money ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool
pop
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System Delo-ELC
Old 05-25-2011, 05:13 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Do you want a programmer? If not, you should return the Superchips Cortex. If you just want to read the code, you can do better than that. If you want a tuner, you can do better than that. In short, you can do better than that.

You also cannot guess the code simply because it didn't boost over 20#. Without a good load on it, that might be all the boost you would see.

Either get the code read, by going to any shop, or maybe even an autopart store... OR ...take a chance that you just have a sticky turbo and try to free it up by hitting the highway for a long hard run. If the problem is gone the code will turn itself off after a few start cycles. Not sure how many.

The code could be as simple as an EGR flow issue (most common). You just don't know without reading the code.

I take it you are not too impressed with the Superchips programmer?
I thought that while I am reading the codes I could add a little power at the same time. It also cost $441.00 including taxes.

I will see if I can get the code read form a local auto parts before I open it.
Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 05:17 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
I take it you are not too impressed with the Superchips programmer?
I thought that while I am reading the codes I could add a little power at the same time. It also cost $441.00 including taxes.

I will see if I can get the code read form a local auto parts before I open it.
Thanks
I don't recommend tuners to anyone with a 6.0, but for that money you could get a tuner with custom written tunes, which is a much better idea.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 05-26-2011, 12:38 PM
New User

6.0l CEL and low Turbo boost

Thanks for the input gents. I took it to the Auto Value parts store and had it scanned. I got codes P0261 to P0282. Injector Circuit Low codes on all cylinders except #2. When I restarted the truck the CEL was gone any everything seems to be back to normal. Is there anything I should be worried about? Some of the other threads suggest it could be the FICM in early stages of failure. It only has 66,000 kms on it.
I also returned the Superchips Cortex as i don't think I need it or want it.
Thanks Again FTE
Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 PM
2 bit Californian

bill.pounds.1
There is a good thread in the tech folder on how to check the voltage on your FICM. I would probably do that, and also load test both of my batteries.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
There is a good thread in the tech folder on how to check the voltage on your FICM. I would probably do that, and also load test both of my batteries.

The check engine light came on again after 30kms around town.
Also where is the FICM located, is it under the de-gas bottle on top of the intake?
Thanks
Old 05-26-2011, 04:51 PM
2 bit Californian

bill.pounds.1
Yes. On the valve cover.

Take a look at the tech folder. It's the very first section:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/30...ch-folder.html

Old 05-26-2011, 04:51 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2005, 2006, 60, boost, booster, code, f250, f350, ford, low, reader, sd, troubleshooting, truck, turbo