Sponsored by: Moser

thekingofcow's crew build

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:08 PM
thekingofcows
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thekingofcow's crew build

Howdy there. I bought this black crewcab about two months ago, and I figured I post some pictures of the project as I go along.

This is a 1977.5 F250 4x4 Crewcab. It has a 460, with a demon carburator. A very healthy c6 transmission, np 205 married case, dana 44 front and 60 rear.

The truck runs good but smokes a little. Drives good but the brakes don't really work, it has exhaust leaks, the interior needs to be addressed, every seal that can leak seems to, but all in all its a decent truck.

So far all I have done too it is weld glass packs to somewhat muffle the exhaust, I buffed the paint to see how it would shine, and installed a bigger radiator.

I had to stop about 5 times on the way 95 mile drive home to let the motor cool off.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 PM
thekingofcows
Elder User
Too solve the cooling problem I opted for a bigger radiator...

That eliminated the over heating problem, though I still wouldn't mind finding a fan shroud.

I plan on fixing the brakes, and putting new seals everywhere that need it. Then moving on to the interior. Once I get it nice, I wouldn't mind fixing the a/c, and then finally I'll fix what needs fixin on the body, find a better bed, and paint it.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:12 AM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ince looking truck and a good project for you. Congrats

Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 AM
smartass_kid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thekingofcows
I had to stop about 5 times on the way 95 mile drive home to let the motor cool off.
haha, been there done that! looks good but the guys up north will soon chime in about how nice your rustfree truck is. try not to rub it in.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 AM
73f250highboy
Posting Guru
nice truck how much u get it for?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
thekingofcows
Elder User
nice truck how much u get it for?
I bought for what I feel was a fair price.

haha, been there done that! looks good but the guys up north will soon chime in about how nice your rustfree truck is. try not to rub it in.
It's really not all that rust free, there is some rust behind the front fenderwells, and the bed has got some rust.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:15 PM
walkintallknls
New User
man i miss that truck. c6 still doing good huh?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM
thekingofcows
Elder User
man i miss that truck. c6 still doing good huh?
Transmission's doing awesome. I still haven't figured out the problem with the c6 in my camoflage truck yet, it shifts way to early. Im going to try another govenor and see if that does the trick.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:18 PM
walkintallknls
New User
if you were not so far away id say bring it to me and i would fix it up for ya.i do have another c6 out here with the short output shaft and adapter,it has a np 203 on it. i was going to use the range box off the 203 for a doubler for that crewcab.i may build it and a 521 and put in the buggy i plan to build this winter.i have a d60 front and d70 rear i was going to use but i think im going rockwell with it. anyhow good luck with the truck and keep posting pics of it as you go so i can keep up with it man.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 PM
walkintallknls
New User
oh yeah if still have the license plate would you mail that to me if you get the chance,i forgot to get it off the truck.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:08 PM
thekingofcows
Elder User
Just send me a text if you still have my number with your address and I'll mail it to you.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Awesome truck man. Good luck with the project.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:29 PM
thekingofcows
Elder User
Well I haven't given up on the truck, I just have been working on other projects...

The Truck Never Had very good brakes, and booster certainly didn't work, so I ordered a one ton master cylinder booster combo and installed it last weekend.

Then while bleeding the system I found that the rear drums were in abysmal shape, so I installed new shoes and wheel cylinders, and replaced a brake line, and the wheel seals.

This is a combination of grease, brake dust, brake fluid, and mud.

Pretty Nasty huh?

I pressure washed the nastiness away and found this underneath, and I of course took the liberty to replace warn and missing parts.

However I do not have any pictures of the completed drum, but they are not that interesting anyway.

After all this, the brakes are a little better, but I wouldn't dare pull a heavy trailer with it, I have to mash the pedal very hard to get it to stop, which surprises me with the new brake booster. I also was not able to bleed the front left caliper, because the bleeder valve broke. So I know that is a little bit of the problem. I am very amazed at the brakes on this truck, back when my big truck was a half ton on 38's it would stand you on your head if you mashed hard, 3/4 tons are sposed to stop better... But it does me no good to complain, I just need to work on it and getter' dialed in.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 PM
73f250highboy
Posting Guru
Weird.. My truck stops on a dime barely gotta press the pedal. Might be cheap front pads or the rear shoes not adjusted fully out? Great to hear some progress

Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM
walkintallknls
New User
man i still miss my old truck!!!

Quick Reply: thekingofcow's crew build