6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Oil in Coolant - Head Gasket or Oil Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Shaggy90506
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Oil in Coolant - Head Gasket or Oil Cooler?

I have recently bought a 2005 F350 XLT 6.0L diesel with 330,000 kms on it to pull my 6700lb camping trailer. When I test drove it, it ran very well with no leaks, no excessive black smoke and no white smoke, it has great power so I thought I had a winner.

The first time out hauling my camper and it blew a hole in the Coolant reservoir. The coolant is also brown with an oily emulsion. I checked the engine oil and their is no evidence of coolant there. The sprayed coolant smelled like varsol and had a really oily feel.

I replaced the coolant reservoir and filled it with water to get me home. The engine still makes great power and engine temp stayed in the normal range even while towing the trailer against the wind and up and down big hills.

Now I am trying to find out what is causing the brown slurry in the coolant? I understand it could be the oil cooler or the head gaskets. Is there a sure fire way to check if it is either one?

Does anyone know if there is a good diesel repair shop in Calgary Alberta that I can take the truck to, that is competent in dealing with Ford diesel trucks?

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
With out further info. I would say it's the oil cooler.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
You risk MAJOR engine damage driving it w/ a blown oil cooler.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Shaggy90506
New User
Thanks for the response. I will get the truck towed to a shop and have them replace the oil cooler and flush the cooling system. Should I look at an after market oil cooler or stick with the stock one?

Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Stock oil cooler is fine, but I would install a coolant filter. I would also go w/ the ELC coolant after flushing the system (but that is just a preference). Many people have had OK luck w/ the Ford gold coolant, but some have not - it is not a black-and-white issue.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:43 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 336 Likes on 209 Posts
I have had great luck with the gold coolant, but I have replaced the coolant 3 times and installed a coolant filter years ago....very important...IMO

Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 PM
FKNVA
Junior User
My 2004 F-350 6.0, I found oil in the coolant today. Carried it to the Ford dealer and showed the coolant sample with oil in the coolant to the Ford Tech. He said it does not look good. They are going to run test on the truck Tuesday. Anyone else had this problem.
I only have just over 55,000 miles on the truck. I purchased it new in 2004.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:24 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by FKNVA
My 2004 F-350 6.0, I found oil in the coolant today. Carried it to the Ford dealer and showed the coolant sample with oil in the coolant to the Ford Tech. He said it does not look good. They are going to run test on the truck Tuesday. Anyone else had this problem.
I only have just over 55,000 miles on the truck. I purchased it new in 2004.
most of us watch the oil cooler with gauges been taking mine out today almost got the intake out. dealer wanted 1200.00 to do it. But im one that likes to turn a wrench here and ther

all 6.0 need gauges you need to watch your EOTvsECT
I use a scangaugeII
www.scangauge.com
click here^^^^

that sucks your oil cooler poped make shure they flush it goooood

Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 PM
FKNVA
Junior User
I do not have the scangaugeII.
I was towing my 31 foot RV 5thwheel last weekend. When pulling a hill I could smell a different smell. That is why I started looking why. That is when I pulled a coolant sample and found the oil in the coolant. My factory gauges were showing normal.
I am glad that I purchased an Extended Warrenty

Old 05-27-2011, 11:48 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
those factory gauges suck

I can watch my scangauge and see big diffrences and the stock gauges dont even move

I do hear the stock boost gauge is right on

you might get a new moter out of that deal since your under warrenty all the coolant passeges get clogged up when the oil and coolant mix
flush it good if ya dont get a new moter
good luck with it

Old 05-30-2011, 06:03 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Did you buy that from Ford...or
Originally Posted by FKNVA
I do not have the scangaugeII.
I was towing my 31 foot RV 5thwheel last weekend. When pulling a hill I could smell a different smell. That is why I started looking why. That is when I pulled a coolant sample and found the oil in the coolant. My factory gauges were showing normal.
I am glad that I purchased an Extended Warrenty

Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaggy90506
Thanks for the response. I will get the truck towed to a shop and have them replace the oil cooler and flush the cooling system. Should I look at an after market oil cooler or stick with the stock one?
If it is your oil cooler, IMO likely:
I have been told by a Ford Tech at the dealership that the new Ford oil coolers are upgraded, with bigger passages... But a couple of the Techs here on FTE have called BS on that info... So I really don't know if it is true or not.
There is a lot of information on this issue on this forum. Do a search on the 6.0 Forum and read up on topics like "EGR", "Oil Cooler", "EGR delete", "Bullet Proof EGR Cooler" and spend some time reading the threads. There are a few different schools of thought on this issue so read up and make your own mind up on which way you want to go. I think everyone agrees, however, that a coolant filter is a VERY good idea, so I would definitely order up one of those and install it as soon as you get the oil cooler replaced. While the oil cooler is being replaced, that is the time you will want to either replace the EGR cooler with a stock EGR cooler, a Bullet Proof EGR Cooler, or delete it all together and block off the EGR passage. Like I said, there are a few different schools of thought on this issue. When the top of the engine is exposed, you will want to deal with both coolers at that time as the labor is the expensive part of accessing the area for both.
One caveat, if deleting the EGR, understand that it is illegal in the US. Not sure about requirements in your neck of the woods. That option is one that you will have to consider carefully. Many folks on this site feel that an EGR delete is not the way to go, but do your research and decide for yourself.
Good luck, Tim

Old 05-30-2011, 10:51 PM
FKNVA
Junior User
Oil cooler EGR Replacement

They are going to run test at the Ford Dealership Tuesday on my truck so they can contact the Warrenty Company with the results. Ford tech said if they replace the Oil Cooler they will replace the EGR cooler.
How hard of a job is it to install the Oil Cooler

Old 05-31-2011, 01:53 AM
Shaggy90506
New User
I just bought the stock oil cooler kit today and 3 gallons of the Ford liquid gold. I am thinking about replacing the EGR cooler as well but money is a bit tight and I don't want to spend too much unless I really have to. What is the cost of the stock EGR cooler?

Is the EGR cooler always compromised by an oil cooler failure? If I check inside the EGR valve port for wetness and see only dry black soot can I not assume the EGR cooler is intact?

I also want to find a coolant filter. Can anybody point me to where I can order or acquire one? Also it looks like I really need some extra gauges. Can anyone offer some suggestions on this topic too?

I bought a fuel filter kit and an oil filter and will get the 14.2 liters of oil I can start the engine with all fresh fluids. Once I get all the parts together I will get the truck towed to my mechanic and get the problem taken care of.

Thanks for all the help from all of you. I am really regretting buying this truck without doing my research homework more thoroughly. Thank goodness for this forum and all of you. Thanks again!!

Old 05-31-2011, 05:49 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
They are not inclusive. You do, however, need to buy new hoses as the oil will internally destroy them. Replace the oil cooler and flush with AT LEAST a gallon of simple green.

The new Ford oil cooler now has an extra row of passages but they aren't bigger.

For gauges I would recommend a Scangauge II. Plugs into the OBDII port, has 8 included gauges and 25 programmable gauges. Not fancy but has a LOT of functions for about $150 US.

Quick Reply: Oil in Coolant - Head Gasket or Oil Cooler?