Sponsored by:

What should I do to my Bronco?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:45 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I do to my Bronco?

I have a 1990 Ford Bronco 300I6/5SPD. I use it for a daily driver and tow with it sometimes (usually my tractor and my 79 4x4). I will occasionally go offroad.

I have switched from auto to manual locking hubs so that is out of the question.
I'm currently running 31x10.50x15 Maxxis Bighorns
I have ripped out my floormatting due to waterbuild up under it which was causing rusting. I sprayed bedliner in it but it is coming off. Thinking about getting a rubber matting that is found in one of the magazines I have.

Trying to cut off my cat that I have left, other one got ripped off.

Anyways, I'm trying to keep good gas mileage but have good torque to pull things but also want my Bronco to look better than it does. It does need a paint job BUT the woods always scratch it up.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:13 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How much more pull and economy do you want over a stock EFI 300 and manual transmission? There's a reason the 300 has been dubbed "poor man's diesel". The EFI exhaust manifolds flow better than just about everything ever made for the 300 with the possible exception of a set of long tube equal-length headers. The 300 is unmatched for low-end torque when considering the OEM engine options for the Bronco. The intake side can be improved marginally but you have to be careful opening it up because the 300 develops torque so low in the RPM band that opening the intake too much reduces air velocity and actually hurts performance. (That monstrous upper plenum doesn't help either).

Unless its clogged, the cat is completely passive and removal isn't going to change anything.

If you are concerned about scratches and scuffs from branches and brambles, consider vinyl wrap or decals for those areas of the truck that typically get pummeled. Any paint will show scuffs eventually unless you want to get into certain acrylic coatings that get pretty pricey when you start talking about an area as large as the broad side of a truck.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 373 Likes on 283 Posts
My whole interior is coated with bedliner. Its nice but I went to the local Tractor Supply and found they had the rubber bed mats for truck beds. I bought one for an 07 Superduty longbed 8'. I lined up the wheel wells in the back and then just made everything else fit. I trimmed off a piece that overhung the rear and made it fit into the tailgate opening. The front I cut so that it goes under the rear seat and it follows the floor and ends under the front seats. I also trimmed a hole so that the seat-belts and seat bracket all mount through the rubber, helps it stay in place. Width on that mat was a perfect fit, just trim length to your tastes. I love it and the mat only cost about $50.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:37 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Ok thanks man I check that out at tractor supply.

Grey, I keep hearing so much about removal and keeping the cat. People say removing the cat will allow more gas mileage and then more power, while people saying removing it will hurt it.

I guess I can find an aftermarket distributor, coil, headers (?-they won't hurt torque, will they be better than the EFI manifolds?)?

Old 05-24-2011, 05:29 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The EFI manifolds are sought even by folks who have carb'd units because they flow so well. I'm sure there are headers (especially those that are split into two, three-tube headers like the EFI manifolds) that flow as well or slightly better.

I would suggest having a look around the FordSix forums for more details on 4.9L performance. AbandonedBronco may be able to give you a little more insight as well.

The most common misconception is that a catalytic converter restricts exhaust flow. While most folks will see some improvement when removing a tired old converter the reason has to do with the fact that after about ten years even the best catalytic converter begins to lose its ability sift exhaust through it. As the substrate begins to break down, the passages that once flowed exhaust freely begin to clog with soot. the small passages also begin to collapse creating small blockages... its kinda like cholesterol for the exhaust system. Soot builds up and the substrate breaks down and the result is a loss of exhaust flow. This DOES NOT mean the catalytic converter removal will gain you anything... it DOES mean you may see performance that the vehicle originally had, restored. Replacing an old or clogged converter will most often result in some regain of lost performance from when the exhaust system was new. Since many states do not require catalytic converter replacement for vehicles older than 1996, replacement is becoming more moot than it once was.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:47 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Cat still put off dangerous fumes to the earth and people. If not, then I guess it would be ok to put a hose to it and put it in a car with the windows rolled up and sit and smell the roses?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Duct Tape Racing
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cars hav been around for centuries and everyones still alive. case dsmissed.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:22 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
You are one lucky SOB to live out in the sticks like that, wish I did.

That is a badass trailer too, what brand is it?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:55 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six
You are one lucky SOB to live out in the sticks like that, wish I did.

That is a badass trailer too, what brand is it?
Yeah, it's good to live in BFE. But when yer out of gas and yer cellphone has no service; or left it at home; or battery is dead...it kinda blows but oh well.

Trailer is a custom made...
Got a tag for it awhile back and the law gave me a id tag for it but I lost it. Don't have a welder anyways so I couldn't welded it on.