Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Posting Guru

arrowheadfred has a good reputation on FTE.arrowheadfred has a good reputation on FTE.
how do you id a flathead ?

I never even made it home with it but would like to know what these number mean. Head had EAB on them/intake had 8BA-8RT 8520 /Back of the block had 31841.4 [i think] / water pump had 8RT-8503-B Will any of these numbers tell you what year it is ??????
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Posting Guru

fifty-two_f1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
EAB were 53 engines that had the 110 horse cam. 8BA was a typical 49-52 car engines a lot of them made their way into the trucks. 8RT was a truck engine. 52-53. I am not sure if they were put into the 48-50s.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:50 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Ford Flathead Specifications
Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Posting Guru

arrowheadfred has a good reputation on FTE.arrowheadfred has a good reputation on FTE.
thanks ROSS i bookmarked it so i will always have it.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
I have a theory, based solely on the fact that I own one and have seen a few others the same way, and sounds logical inside my peabrain, that when 8BA's were sent off for remanufacturing as core engines when replaced, the heads were replaced as a matter of course with the current production pieces, which after 1953 would have been the EAB part. My 1951 date coded engine removed from some kind of larger truck came to me with EAB heads on it. Feel free to debunk or agree at will. ;-)

Dale, for finding your engine's birthday, check out this link. The casting numbers you found won't do that.

birthday

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Posting Guru

THANKS WAYNE Thats simple as it gets
Old 05-24-2011, 07:36 AM
Post Fiend

4tl8ford has a great reputation on FTE.4tl8ford has a great reputation on FTE.4tl8ford has a great reputation on FTE.4tl8ford has a great reputation on FTE.4tl8ford has a great reputation on FTE.4tl8ford has a great reputation on FTE.
In the 63 years since the "Modern" Flatmotor appeared they have become to resemble McDonald's Chicken Nuggets - They have been taken apart scrambled around and squeezed back together as a working Flathead
I'm not sure that if I found a pristine zero mile V8 Ford from that era that I would completely believe it was "Original"
1952 Ford F2x2 (Non-Stock Flat 6)
1997 Ford Explorer
Every Thing I've Ever Said Is A Lie
Old 05-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Post Fiend

55 f350 has a great reputation on FTE.55 f350 has a great reputation on FTE.55 f350 has a great reputation on FTE.55 f350 has a great reputation on FTE.55 f350 has a great reputation on FTE.
mine is a 52 block .... i.e. a factory rebuild as all casting numbers other than strange symbols , exist , and when it goes back together it will be a hodge podge of the best oe parts and a couple of gm pieces , that i can find . in other words like dick said ain't no such thing as an all oe flatty ................................ ( untouched but cleaned up short block , .010 milled eab heads for more compression , merc intake , rochester 2 jet , gm points dizzy converted too electronic , 8cm merc cam , blah , blah , blah ... and it's all " stock " )
that's because were all opinionated bullcrap artists looking for somewhere to espout our views and show the world how much we { don't } know especially to newcomers. were on a mission to impress you and make you believe we are all knowing ! P.A.D.D = project attention deficit disorder . everyone on here has it , and is an enabler !!!! so enter at your own risk !!!!!!!!!!! if you don't have 2 or 3 broken fords / projects , then you just ain't right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:48 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Wayne, I don't think they replaced a lot of stuff with new, I think the shops had pallets of cleaned/machined heads and just slapped a set of matching heads on when an engine came in for reman. The differences between 8BA 8RT and EAB heads aren't really noticeable on the street IMO, the differences in the blocks are truly minor. I've heard many stories about taking a well-used but running engine out of the family car to keep a truck on the road.

The engine in my truck as it came to me is a ('51) 1BA block, with EAB crank and heads, Merc oil pan, 8RT intake, and twin narrow belts (car setup). Scrambled up as Dick says. There's no real reason to get wound up on what exact year or model a flatty is, if it runs just enjoy it!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Postmaster

jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.jmadsen has a very good reputation on FTE.
Speaking of rebuilt flatheads, I have had and seen a few "rebuilt" flatheads that have had the 8BA, EAB, or 8RT etc ground off of the heads.

The first one I saw like this had one head with smooth casting and the other with a smoother casting. makes me wonder if they were different heads altogether?? the rebuilt engine in the 53 C600 has the numbers/letters ground off as well.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Post Fiend

mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
My "EAB" heads had the casting #'s ground off. I only know that's what they were because I took time to cc them. Plus the rebuilt engine they came from had an EAB crank.

Has anyone ever seen an intake that was marked anything BUT 8BA/8RT 6520? From what I've seen that casting number was used from 48 thru 53 on Ford cars and trucks.

The only variation Ford used was the merc intake for the teapot carb with 4 bolts.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:48 PM
postin' fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflat View Post
My "EAB" heads had the casting #'s ground off. I only know that's what they were because I took time to cc them. Plus the rebuilt engine they came from had an EAB crank.

Has anyone ever seen an intake that was marked anything BUT 8BA/8RT 6520? From what I've seen that casting number was used from 48 thru 53 on Ford cars and trucks.

The only variation Ford used was the merc intake for the teapot carb with 4 bolts.
For US Ford intakes, yes, that's what mine says too. The only other kind I've seen is Canadian aluminum Ford manifolds, which are C8BA (I've only seen one so I can't say if there are other Canadian designations)
Old 05-24-2011, 02:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
6520, 8ba, 8rt, casting, codes, engine, flat, flathead, ford, head, identify, numbers, pump, raptor, v8, water