6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Paint care?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:16 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacswa3
Your kinda on the right track, but If your going the over the counter wax route, I would use Maguires NXT Tech wax. Is that Ultimate quick wax a spray wax? If so I wouldn't waste my time with that. You have a beautiful dark blue truck that would benefit from a decent wax. For the plastic I use 303 Aerospace protectant. Very good UV protection. You can find at most Auto stores.
I also use the 303 Aerospace Protectant for all the black parts. I used to use Armor All but if that gets on the paint and chrome you have to really work to get it off. The 303 Aerospace comes off with a simple wipe of a micro-fiber towel. I have also found that the Maguires wax is the best, it's a little more work but worth the extra effort you put into it.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:15 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For black plastic I use a product called Just Once. It is a non silicone based sealer that won't run all over the trucks paint when it rains, it applies very easy and dries to a kind of shell. It also makes faded line x look new again and lasts several months. My line x dealer carries it.

Every time I use something like armor all it makes oily streaks on the paint after it rains and it drives me nuts.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:51 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, I'll look for the aerospace stuff this weekend - what about for that giant chrome grill? Anything special for it? Would really like something that makes the bug guts come off easier.

Tacswa3, I sure wish you lived a little closer, I'd just hand her over to you!

Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I just used Windex on the grill, seems to work pretty good and does not streak.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2horses
Okay, I'll look for the aerospace stuff this weekend - what about for that giant chrome grill? Anything special for it? Would really like something that makes the bug guts come off easier.

Tacswa3, I sure wish you lived a little closer, I'd just hand her over to you!
For the chrome grill, just keep it waxed the same as the paint. Keeping it waxed will aid in easier removal of bug guts. Any solvent you use such as bug n tar remover or windex WILL remove any wax you previously applied.

I would be honored to shine her up for you, but yeah Texas is a bit far

Old 05-28-2011, 09:28 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, what do you recommend for the windshield? Does Rainx work?

Old 05-28-2011, 11:00 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tacswa3
For the chrome grill, just keep it waxed the same as the paint. Keeping it waxed will aid in easier removal of bug guts. Any solvent you use such as bug n tar remover or windex WILL remove any wax you previously applied.

I would be honored to shine her up for you, but yeah Texas is a bit far
How about MI, that is closer then Texas.

I do use Rain X on the windshield only and just the same wax as the paint on the rest of the windows.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2horses
So, what do you recommend for the windshield? Does Rainx work?
RainX is decent, it works It tends to streak a little when being applied. If you find that its streaking when being buffed off, just mist a little water on the windshield while your buffing it off and it should take care of it. I actually think it states that on the bottle, or used to anyway.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Here is my washing technique to minimize micro marring and scratches. Ever look at a vehicle's paint in direct sunlight or under fluorescent lighting such as gas station lights under the awning? The fine swirling that looks like spider webbing, especially noticeable on dark colored vehicles, is mostly caused by improper washing and drying techniques. Now, you can't totally stop these fine scratches but you greatly reduce them by improving the way you wash and dry....then you won't have to polish the paint as often or pay to have someone do it.

Use two buckets, one for suds and one w/ just water for rinsing your wash mitt. I recommend using a decent wool sheepskin mitt. Always use a good car soap that produces lots of suds. More suds means greater lubricity. The fine scratches are caused by dirt and grime being raked across the vehicle's surface, so more lubricity helps reduce the fine dirt particles from scratching. I use a Gilmore foam gun to get the max amount of suds I can on the vehicle's surface. This helps lift and remove the dirt.

Wash one panel or section at time then rinse your wash mitt before placing it back in the suds bucket. You will be surprised how clean your wash water stays by rinsing the mitt after each panel. This also reduces the amount of dirt and grime from being re-introduced on your wash mitt and your suds and then being raked across the vehicle's surface.

For drying, I use waffle weave towels. Microfiber towels will suffice. I don't like the rubber chamois. Chamois are flat and fine particles don't have any where to go between the paint and chamois surface when drying. Microfiber and waffle weave towels are designed to allow dirt and debris somewhere to *escape*. I usually use a leaf blower, the less rubbing you do to the paint the better, plus it blows all the water out of the crevices

Old 10-24-2011, 09:28 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
This was an older topic I came across while searching for black streaks. I have the Oxford White/Gold Lariat colors and where water drips from the hood onto the front quarter panel there's a ton of black streaks. I also get them around the door under the mirrors and some under the windows.

Does anybody know why or how they develop? It's sorta like I get on my camper from the rubber roof, but coming off the hood there is no rubber, the windows have rubber around them so I could see that.

I keep my truck washed but have yet to wax it, but even after waxing I don't know if the black streaks would be gone.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
This was an older topic I came across while searching for black streaks. I have the Oxford White/Gold Lariat colors and where water drips from the hood onto the front quarter panel there's a ton of black streaks. I also get them around the door under the mirrors and some under the windows.

Does anybody know why or how they develop? It's sorta like I get on my camper from the rubber roof, but coming off the hood there is no rubber, the windows have rubber around them so I could see that.

I keep my truck washed but have yet to wax it, but even after waxing I don't know if the black streaks would be gone.
They would not be there if it was waxed, the wax allows the water to bead away the water and protects the paint. The black streaks are dirt mixed with water that come from the other parts of the truck. They develop mainly during rain when the water is constant and moving the dirt off the upper parts of the truck, just like the rubber roof of your camper, it's not the rubber but the dirt making the black streaks.
If you hand wax the truck they should come out, if they don't try some rubbing compound on the affected areas then at least 1 coat of carnauba wax, 2 would be better since the rubbing compound takes off any protection that was there.