6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Front door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front door speakers

Stock front speakers are about the worst junk I've ever seen in any car. They can't weigh more than a few ounces each which means the magnets are very lightweight and no conducive to quality sound at power. I installed my component Infinity Reference 2-way fronts and the difference is astounding. There's a lot more sound available in the stock system if you want to do a little bit of work.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 PM
dixoncity
Mountain Pass

Thanks for the tip, did you happen to take pictures of the installation process?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dixoncity
Thanks for the tip, did you happen to take pictures of the installation process?
I didn't think about it until I had the second panel going back on. It's really very simple. 2 - 5/16 bolts at the bottom of the door panel and 2 more in the middle hidden behind a little snap out panel. Lift the panel straight up and pull the top towards you enough to get access to the wiring connectors. Remove the connectors and pull the panel off. 4 screws and one connector for the speaker removal. I used t-taps to tap into the wiring to feed the crossover for the new speakers, but you can get a factory style connector with a pigtail if you don't want to mess with the factory wiring.

Reverse the process to put it all back together. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes a side.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 AM
cirrus365
Elder User
What size or model speakers? Are you going to change the back speakers too?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cirrus365
What size or model speakers? Are you going to change the back speakers too?
I used Infinity Reference 2 ways with adjustable tweeters and crossovers. I've had these in my last 2 trucks. They're 6X9 and fit perfectly, but Crutchfield.com has a tool that will show you everything that fits your truck. Just use a 2010 as the 2011 data isn't populated there yet and 2010 is the same.
Yes, I'm also replacing the rears as they're worse than the fronts. Probably the cheapest and best thing you can do to get significantly better sound.

A comparable speaker would be the Infinity 682.9CF which can be had for around $80 shipped online.

Here's the wiring harness if you don't want to tap into the existing wiring...these may be found cheaper elsewhere

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207104...s.html?tp=3097

Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 AM
dixoncity
Mountain Pass

Looking at the Crutchfield site, they recommend the Infinity Reference 6020si, 6 1/2 inch speaker for the 2011 F350, but they are discontinued. Another site lists a infinity reference 6032cf as a replacement for about $100.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:29 AM
robroy90
Junior User
Did you just replace the driver in the lower door, or did you replace the factory tweeter also, or did you just leave it disconnected?

In a component set, I wonder if the aftermarket tweeter would even fit in the factory location at the top corner of the door panel.

I didn't look close, but I thought in mine the only speakers in the rear door were the small tweeters up top. Are there also lower drivers in the rear doors?

I agree the OEM speakers leave quite a bit to be desired. I am just now looking into my plan of attack for upgrades. I will probably put some sort of dynamat-like material on the doors and install the Jimmi-Jammers while I have the door panels off also.

Thanks, just curious...

-Rob

Old 05-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by robroy90
Did you just replace the driver in the lower door, or did you replace the factory tweeter also, or did you just leave it disconnected?

In a component set, I wonder if the aftermarket tweeter would even fit in the factory location at the top corner of the door panel.

I didn't look close, but I thought in mine the only speakers in the rear door were the small tweeters up top. Are there also lower drivers in the rear doors?

I agree the OEM speakers leave quite a bit to be desired. I am just now looking into my plan of attack for upgrades. I will probably put some sort of dynamat-like material on the doors and install the Jimmi-Jammers while I have the door panels off also.

Thanks, just curious...

-Rob
The factory tweeter adds a lot of highs and as it's in a different location the highs are clearly audible...so I left them connected.

I replaced the 6X9 in the front doors only with a 2 way Infinity Reference series with crossover.

I haven't looked at the rears yet, but will replace them with Infinity stuff as well.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
what about JL audio? If you could replace your stock 4 speakers in a crew cab, which type would they be. I have no clue what to look for. I just want to unplug the old ones and throw in new ones. I dont want to add an amp or anything. Any suggestions?

JL Audio TR570-CXi - These are what I'm looking at.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lexustbs
what about JL audio? If you could replace your stock 4 speakers in a crew cab, which type would they be. I have no clue what to look for. I just want to unplug the old ones and throw in new ones. I dont want to add an amp or anything. Any suggestions?

JL Audio TR570-CXi - These are what I'm looking at.
While I'm sure they'll be an improvement, I'd look for 2 ways that are rated at 2 ohms. They'll be significantly more efficient thus making more of the power at hand.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:30 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Biggziff
While I'm sure they'll be an improvement, I'd look for 2 ways that are rated at 2 ohms. They'll be significantly more efficient thus making more of the power at hand.
Don't want to be bossy, but can you post two links for the speakers you would pick out for me in the front and rear of the truck? Crew cab

Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Monorail_Red
Junior User
Question

Originally Posted by Biggziff
Stock front speakers are about the worst junk I've ever seen in any car.
Just out of curiosity, do you have the Lariat package with the "premium" sound system?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
also what size are the rears next to the seat in the crew cab?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Monorail_Red
Just out of curiosity, do you have the Lariat package with the "premium" sound system?
Yes I do...Navigation, etc.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lexustbs
Don't want to be bossy, but can you post two links for the speakers you would pick out for me in the front and rear of the truck? Crew cab
Here's what I'd buy (and am buying for the rears)
Infinity Reference 6832cf 2-way car speakers for 5"x7" and 6"x8" openings at Crutchfield.com

You can get them a bit cheaper on ebay which is where I'll buy them, but Crutchfield gives you the wiring adapter and install stuff for your specific vehicle for free (wiring adapters are around $8 online) According to Crutchfield, the rears will accept 6X8 same as the fronts.

Quick Reply: Front door speakers