Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Sources For Lucas-Girling Rear Brake Parts 1995 F700

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 AM
RRRAVEN
Cross-Country
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face Sources For Lucas-Girling Rear Brake Parts 1995 F700

Hi Everyone-
I live in Deerfield, NH and am looking for options/information on where to purchase Lucas-Girling rear brake parts for my 1995 F700 Dump Truck 26,000 GVWR with hydraulic brakes. I have a brake fluid leak (not hydraulic fluid from the spring can) coming from the inside of the backing plate area of the passenger side rear wheel. I still have a nice hard brake pedal and my hydraulic booster parking brake system is working fine. Haven't pulled it apart yet but may need wheel cylinders or kits or even a complete loaded back plate if the price is right. Also a source for the spring can assemblies in case I need one of those also. I have seen other posts on the forum and it seems that any time Lucas-Girling is mentioned there are $$$$$$ signs in the sentence! I'm sure my local Ford Heavy truck dealer can get the stuff but coming right from Ford the price might be a bit much so I am looking for other options. I have seen references to Euclid Truck Parts and Lucas Girling-Haldex has a web sight that has some info. but not sure about purchasing directly from them. Does NAPA Heavy Truck Parts sell this stuff or Sanel's Heavy Truck Parts here in New Hampshire? Just trying to keep this repair affordable and am hoping some of you cats can help me out.

Thank you in advance-
RRRAVEN
Deerfield, New Hampshire

Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 AM
80broncoman
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the prices Really get out of hand I'd Start gathering parts for a conversion to air brakes.
I'm sure it could be done on a budget.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 PM
rummur s.c.
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its about 310 bucks for a loaded backing plate from fleet pride inc.

I highly recommend them, at least the guys over here in seattle are great to work with.

There are seal kits for those wheel cylinders also.. Incase you dont need a whole backing plate. 40 bucks for the seal kit.

If your e brake can starts to leak, dont even try to take the thing apart. The spring on the inside is VERY hard to get back together. A remanned one costs 100 bucks, and the rebuild for it is 40. But like I said that spring makes it a bit sketchy.. Plus they usually leak because the outside of the can gets scored and wears down the o-ring..

Old 05-23-2011, 03:27 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How did you come out with the brakes? I've been down the rebuild road twice on my 1987 F700. It also has the Lucas$$$girling brakes. The wheel cylinder is scored on one side and keeps wearing through the new seals. Its one of those deals where it starts and stops, but I will say I have went through a lot of brake fluid in the last few years. I used to use DOT 3 fluid and now I use Dot 4 Napa wanted $495 for a "new" wheel cyl. The price of the parking brake cyl. was not too bad so I just put new ones on. I'm going to call fleetpride first of the week and see what they have. $310 for a loaded backing plate sounds like a good deal after what I have spent so far. ....air brakes are so much simpler..

Old 07-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
I did find this webpage ... Fleet Products Company Template

Old 01-14-2014, 10:41 PM
mrblonde108
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you mean by scored?? the cylinder is scratched Up?? How long did it last?? i was going to try to reseal my wheel cylinders.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
That was almost 3 years ago, but I did manage to get it straightened out. I never did replace the wheel cylinders. I found a place in pensacola florida called Power Brake Exchange (850) 429-7500... they were very knowledgeable on this "old" stuff. I had already replaced the hydro booster several years ago, then replaced the parking brake/hydro booster "pump"...the truck had way more braking/stopping power after that, but kept getting air. Finally I replaced the "parking brake valve" thats mounted up by the brake master cylinder with 14 hoses and lines going to it...the first valve they sent had a crack in it and he promptly sent another one, like I said they were real nice to deal with..after installing the reman valve the whole braking system functions much much better..and the craziest thing is that the wheel cylinder immediately quit leaking, and hasnt ever since.. after talking to the guy at power brake, he said some trucks require a "residual pressure valve" in the service brake line, which my truck doesnt have anyway. Evidently replacing the parking brake valve had some effect on this because it leaked for 10 years and stopped that day.... I have since replaced the truck with a 2003 4400 international with DT530 and 5 spd allison---wow what a step up.. I still like the old F700 but its semi-retired now.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:21 PM
mrblonde108
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanls for the reply. my brakes were fine but the lines rotted out. I finally replaced the lines and put it back together. Now i see brake fluid leaking on the tires from the drum.

I read somewhere a while back that when parked the girling system has no pressure in the lines which causes the cups on the piston seal to retract and the after market has these check valves that be installed to keep pressure in all times.

I dread doing my truck it has those rim clamp type wheels and looks like a major pain in *** to handle.

"MBI-RH01K -

Part Number: RH01K
This hydraulic residual check valve should be used in
conjunction with the Lucas Girling type braking system.
Installation of the RH01K hydraulic residual check valve
will typically prevent this leakage therefore extending
the life cycle of these brake assemblies. This valve
maintains a small amount of residual pressure
(3 – 10 psi) in the brake line to keep a positive
pressure on the seals in both the backing plate adjuster
and park cylinders. This small amount of pressure will
help keep the seal solidly fitted against their cylinder
walls, thereby preventing excessive leakage. Installation of this valve will benefit
the system whether the vehicle is running or parked. Please note that a minimal
amount of external wetness on the cylinders with this type of system is normal
and acceptable.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Yes if install the check valve you- should be good- assuming the wheel cylinders are good. I had the same part # saved...RH01K. $57.20... Also have the part#s to the complete backing plates with al new cylinders. It's a fun system to work on that for sure--- build some character