6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Filter Change - VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Northof62
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
375!! holy cow. go to dieselfiltersonline.com and get em for 53 bucks and never look back

I will, thanks! I was so mad when they handed me the bill.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:52 PM
maistroyoda
Mountain Pass
Wow, just changed my filters today at 15400 miles and it really was a piece of cake. Took me about 20 minutes to complete. I spent a longer time picking up and inspecting my old filters, which were both in great shape. Thank you very much Epic! $65 for a fuel and air filter change is much better and easier (not to mention that you KNOW it was done right) than getting it done at the dealer.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maistroyoda
Wow, just changed my filters today at 15400 miles and it really was a piece of cake. Took me about 20 minutes to complete. I spent a longer time picking up and inspecting my old filters, which were both in great shape. Thank you very much Epic! $65 for a fuel and air filter change is much better and easier (not to mention that you KNOW it was done right) than getting it done at the dealer.
AMEN!

I start my week off Friday and I plan to change oil and all the filters. I will hit 30,000 miles about Sunday.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:31 PM
AresSD
Freshman User
Nice work on the video and great info here. I just changed my fuel filters for the first time and it went well....no spilliage! I didn't purge until both filters were changed and had no problems. It did take a good 4 or 5 seconds to start the first time....was the longest 5 seconds of my life!

Another observation, the engine mounted filter didn't require any tools to remove. All I had to do was about a half turn counter clockwise and it pops right out. No need for the 7mm socket/wrench. Not sure if that was a change for the newer trucks or what, but that's what my diesel maintenance book said to do and it worked as advertised. My truck is a 2012.

Anyway, thanks again...this video and thread helped out a lot!

Old 03-04-2013, 01:32 PM
AresSD
Freshman User
Double Post

Old 11-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Thanks for keeping the YouTube video up Epic. Good refresher!

Old 12-03-2014, 12:45 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Changed my fuel filters today for the first time on this 6.7 at 14k... Filter underneath looked clean basically.Wet with diesel but clean.I think next change im gonna go with fords recommendation.I think its 20k..I see no reason what so ever in MY application to do it any earlier.

Props to epic for putting this video up.Not a drop on the garage floor..I did have a full tank and after turning the housing about 6-7 times I def either heard or felt something change in housing.Maybe it was the check valve.But as soon as I heard that 1 min later fuel stopped draining.The filters under hood was a snap.Cycled key 7 times and it started as normal.No delay at all.This has to be one of the vety seldom times that something went as planned.lol!

Old 04-23-2016, 05:06 PM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I kind of got scared off changing my own fuel filters by some of the recent threads, but when my dealer quoted $189 I decided to take another look, at which time I found this thread and video.

Epic, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences! As others have said, they are not only informative, but entertaining. I have a set of filters coming from Amazon for $52.

BTW, it appears that you are towing with a short bed, without a slider hitch. Would you go without the slider if you were doing it over again?

Old 04-23-2016, 08:21 PM
marine57_4
Cross-Country
just changed fuel filtered and will not start. went to drain filter and very little fuel. removed housing and filter and no fuel. did this 3 times and still no fuel. i have a full tank of fuel and i even pushed up on the do-hickey that lets the fuel come out and no fuel. unless someone has the answer, going to have to call ford and have them tow it in and find out what is happening. not a happy camper!!

Old 04-24-2016, 05:46 AM
Sneuen
Freshman User
Are you turning the housing until it stops? Can you hear the pump running when you turn the key on? Did you go through the priming procedure? Key on 60 seconds, key off, repeat, I forget how many times but it's quite a few.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:47 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by marine57_4
just changed fuel filtered and will not start. went to drain filter and very little fuel. removed housing and filter and no fuel. did this 3 times and still no fuel. i have a full tank of fuel and i even pushed up on the do-hickey that lets the fuel come out and no fuel. unless someone has the answer, going to have to call ford and have them tow it in and find out what is happening. not a happy camper!!
Have the o-ring on correctly? The o-ring sits in a groove, not up against the top of the housing like one might think.

Don't cheat with the prime, you will only frustrate yourself.

key on 30 seconds, turn off

6 times ..........

Old 04-25-2016, 01:40 AM
marine57_4
Cross-Country
Angry

Originally Posted by porthole
Have the o-ring on correctly? The o-ring sits in a groove, not up against the top of the housing like one might think.

Don't cheat with the prime, you will only frustrate yourself.

6 times ..........
thanks for the replies. yes o-ring in groove and tighten until mechanical stop. 6 x 30 seconds, turn off/turn on.
like i stated before, i pushed in the do-hikkie or whatever it is called that opens the fuel when the filter housing is seated all the way, and no fuel came out.
i can hear the fuel pump turn on when i turn the key on and it stays on the 30 seconds and turns off. i don't know if the pump is actually pumping fuel, maybe that is why i am not getting any fuel?
any more suggestions?

Old 04-25-2016, 12:52 PM
pjcinmi
Senior User
Originally Posted by marine57_4
like i stated before, i pushed in the do-hikkie or whatever it is called that opens the fuel when the filter housing is seated all the way, and no fuel came out.
i can hear the fuel pump turn on when i turn the key on and it stays on the 30 seconds and turns off. i don't know if the pump is actually pumping fuel, maybe that is why i am not getting any fuel?
any more suggestions?
Not to sound like a A$$... but you mention this twice. I just changed my filters for the first time on my 6.7 yesterday, and there is no thing to PUSH.

The Yellow drain, on the lower bowl Twists open. After priming with key on / key off you should be able to twist that open to see if the lower bowl has fuel. Did you use Motorcraft filters? Some other brands are known NOT to seat / seal properly.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:22 PM
marine57_4
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by pjcinmi
Not to sound like a A$$... but you mention this twice. I just changed my filters for the first time on my 6.7 yesterday, and there is no thing to PUSH.

The Yellow drain, on the lower bowl Twists open. After priming with key on / key off you should be able to twist that open to see if the lower bowl has fuel. Did you use Motorcraft filters? Some other brands are known NOT to seat / seal properly.
thanks again for the help. i finally got it started and running. what i did was remove the filter and housing to access the do-hickey that sits up inside the part that the housing screws into. there is a pin like thing that pushes in when the housing & filter is screwed on and the fuel comes out. so what i did was blow compressed air with a nozzle until fuel started coming out. when fuel came out when i pushed up on the do-hickey i installed the filter and housing and cycled it 6x and it started. i don't know what i did that caused it but seems like i had an air pocket which fuel couldn't push thru.
everything is good and again thanks for the responses.