6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Filter Change - VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by InSearchOf
Tip of the hat again . I was very disappointed at the diesel tech for improperly installing the lower fuel bowl, plus the fact, the dealer I go to is 120 miles away, however based on reputation, they are the best one in the area, however, I feel more 6.7 schooling is needed. What's interesting to me upon my initial show to the dealership for this service, is the service writer told me that I know more about the 6.7 than they do.......WTF.....anyway, whether that was a "Dig", or something else, I took it as a compliment.
As far as "overkill" is concerned for this vehicle, I feel it is non-existant. My most important rule to myself when it comes to my vehicles.....if I feel something is not right, I will do what I need to do to allow myself the mindset that everything is good & I can turn the key and head out without reservation. While I know the filters themselves the dealer installed were good, the o-ring was my disconcern, so I felt it best to eat another 90 bucks and install new filters with the "new" o-ring.

Take Care Epic!!! & keep the videos coming as they present themselves!!!

V/R
Will

Just another example of why many of us choose to pull our own simple maintenance. There have been many examples of such incompetence, particularly their favorite trick, refilling with 15 quarts of oil and using the wrong coolant. When you do these things yourself, you tend to get it right.

Glad things turned out to be simple.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 PM
InSearchOf
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glockin' Bob
Just another example of why many of us choose to pull our own simple maintenance. There have been many examples of such incompetence, particularly their favorite trick, refilling with 15 quarts of oil and using the wrong coolant. When you do these things yourself, you tend to get it right.

Glad things turned out to be simple.
Very much so....through the course of the dealership maintenance, I had an oil change done, however before the oil change, I asked the tech how many quarts went in.........he told me 12 quarts!!!!!!!!!!!, lol.........I told him to please put in 13 per the manual & per my direction/request. Amazing!!!

My only deal now is "Document" "Document" "Document"

Old 02-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Bowie
Elder User
I love how you spilled all over the camera. On purpose. It was funny.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Finally changed my fuel filters today.
Aside from having the drain on the wrong side of the can, it is not as a dramatic job some have made it out to be.

I had bought an extra housing because of some concerns after reading about a couple of broken hex nuts.

Not too concerned about breaking the hex off, but when I get the additional drain plug and water sensor I will be using that for future changes.

Drop the filter can and filter, change the o-ring, put on spare can and new filter.

Then clean out the can at my leisure. Repeat

Old 06-18-2012, 05:12 PM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Just changed my filters, piece of cake....thanks for the video, it was very helpful. I do have a question regarding the engine mounted filter....the one from the factory has a third inlet/outlet with nothing attached and the oem replacement part only has the two inlet/outlets.......any idea what the third one on the factory unit is for?

Apologies if i've missed that somewhere in this thread.

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 PM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jlalanas
Just changed my filters, piece of cake....thanks for the video, it was very helpful. I do have a question regarding the engine mounted filter....the one from the factory has a third inlet/outlet with nothing attached and the oem replacement part only has the two inlet/outlets.......any idea what the third one on the factory unit is for?

Apologies if i've missed that someone where in this thread.

Thanks.
On some of the other posts it was speculated that the extra outlet was for priming the engine at the factory. I noticed the same thing the first time I change day filter.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Originally Posted by CascadeF250
On some of the other posts it was speculated that the extra outlet was for priming the engine at the factory. I noticed the same thing the first time I change day filter.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:52 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Well decided to drain my filter tonight so I could change the filter tomorrow. The bucket I used overran so I put another. After about 2 gallons the drain did not stop. What is going on..... The only thing I can think of is that the fuel will stop when the canister is removed. I have enough fuel on my drive I think I will take it in to Ford......

Old 07-06-2012, 10:04 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by lakedweller
Well decided to drain my filter tonight so I could change the filter tomorrow. The bucket I used overran so I put another. After about 2 gallons the drain did not stop. What is going on..... The only thing I can think of is that the fuel will stop when the canister is removed. I have enough fuel on my drive I think I will take it in to Ford......
Per Epic's video your supposed to turn the filter housing 3 turns and then drain the housing. He typed this statement at 2:22 on the video. By doing this I believe it may close a valve that doesn't allow diesel to syphon into the filter housing.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:01 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Yeah, turn the bowl 3-4 times and it will trip a sensor or valve (something) to prevent tank siphoning.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
did my fuel filters today at 12k miles. (yes i have 12k miles in the 3 months of 6.7 ownership)

anyway, Epic, i re-viewed your video today just as a refresher before the swap. I noticed something tho in your video.. The original filter you removed had 3 ports on it while the one you installed as the replacement had 2. I found this to be curious making. The one i removed today only had two as did its replacement.

Also, you seemed to need to use a tool (7mm on a socket wrench i believe) to loosen the filter from its housing to remove. This was not required on mine as it required a 1/4 - 1/2 turn clockwise to release it from the base. There is a notch on the bottom that locks it in place.

Just wanted to put my new found info out there in case anyone else has such an encounter.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
did my fuel filters today at 12k miles. (yes i have 12k miles in the 3 months of 6.7 ownership)

anyway, Epic, i re-viewed your video today just as a refresher before the swap. I noticed something tho in your video.. The original filter you removed had 3 ports on it while the one you installed as the replacement had 2. I found this to be curious making. The one i removed today only had two as did its replacement.

Also, you seemed to need to use a tool (7mm on a socket wrench i believe) to loosen the filter from its housing to remove. This was not required on mine as it required a 1/4 - 1/2 turn clockwise to release it from the base. There is a notch on the bottom that locks it in place.

Just wanted to put my new found info out there in case anyone else has such an encounter.
Ditto for my 2012; two ports and no clamp; changed today at 15K

I wish mine had a clamp; broke one of my two nipples trying to get the filter out; extremely difficult to rotate the 90 degrees CCW and more difficult to lift it up and out of the housing. Finaly pulled it out with a slip lock adjustable oil filter pliers. The type five (green in my case) fuel line disconnect was upside down from compared to Epic's video; but released the same way. New filter went in just as tight. Good news, zero issues with DCFM change and priming.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 PM
p12483
Senior User
Is anyone else's truck continue to make the hissing sound like epics truck does at approx 7:04 in the video. Mine is doing that now and want to make sure that is normal.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Northof62
New User
Wow that looks easy. Thanks for the video! My dealer charged me $375 for changing the filters. Never again.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
375!! holy cow. go to dieselfiltersonline.com and get em for 53 bucks and never look back

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Change - VIDEO