6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Shop didn't use Mercon fluids - Is this a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 03:57 PM
juvat97
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shop didn't use Mercon fluids - Is this a problem?

I recently bought my Excursion used, and wasn't sure what the last owner had been doing on the maintenance, so I decided to just take it to a transmission shop and have them change out everything: transmission flush, front and rear differential, transfer case, brake fluid, and power steering. I know, I know...I should have just done the job myself in my driveway. I just don't have time this month, so decided to "out source."

When I dropped off the vehicle, I "thought" we had an understanding that Motorcraft Mercon SP would be used for the tranny and Mercon ATF for the power steering and transfer case. But when I picked it up, I found out this was not so. They used Magnum Uni-Tran in the tranny, transfer case, and Pyroil for the power steering.

I basically said "WTF?--we talked about Mercon ATF and SP." The guy at the shop said "don't worry, we do tons of Ford Super Duties and use this stuff all the time with no complaints."

So my question is, am I going to have a problem since the recommended Mercon SP and ATF weren't used? I don't have enough experience with the fluids to know if any of this is going to bite me in the *** later on.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:26 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
Never heard of Magnum Uni-Tran ..... you want the shop foreman to show you that it conforms to SP in writing from the manufacturer. AND guarantees it!

Old 05-21-2011, 04:29 PM
juvat97
Junior User
The guy at the shop talked about it being a "multi-ATF" fluid. Agreed on getting the guarantee. But I would really like to know if this shop screwed the pooch, or if I can sleep at night knowing that things aren't getting messed up in the vehicle.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:33 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

I guess you'll find out if they can't prove to you that it conforms to Ford's specs...... and you don't insist that they change it!

Old 05-21-2011, 04:39 PM
juvat97
Junior User
Um, okay. And another way to find out is if anybody else here has had experience with multi-ATF fluids in their trucks.

I am willing to go back to get a written statement about their fluid's SP equivalency, but if/when I need to press the issue with the shop, where can I find documentation stating that the truck's components WILL be damaged unless the SP (or "SP-like") fluids are used? I would need something like this to keep the owner from telling me to pound sand.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:42 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be inclined to ask them if they would be willing to back up their words in writing and be willing to pay for any repairs caused by using the wrong fluid, if they are not I would push the issue that you did not agree to the generic multi fit fluid, and that Motorcraft was specifically agreed upon and it should therefore be changed.

On another note I know a user on here DSMMH uses royal purple ATF which is not Ford compliant for our trucks and has had no problems.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:49 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by juvat97
Magnum Uni-Tran in the tranny, transfer case, .

Unitran® Fluid, Unitran® HD USDA H2

Unitran Fluid is a new-generation, premium hydraulic transmission fluid that meets or exceeds the requirements for farm and industrial tractor power train fluid. It is compatible with all of the known brands of universal tractor fluid so it can be used to top off fluids in service. Over 200,000 hours of field tests have shown that JAX Unitran exceeds OEM’s standards for wear, chatter, brake capacity, PTO performance and filterability.

I've never heard of this specific tranny fluid and can't find jack about what tests it's undergone but it does have the typical zinc phosphate FM junk in it. I dunno, barring some proof of what tests it's undergone, I'd be leaning towards swapping it out for peace of mind. It's really shetty that they did that unless they didn't specifically say they weren't going to use Mercon.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:50 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

You pays your money. you takes your chances!

I don't think you are driving a TRACTOR!

Old 05-21-2011, 05:20 PM
loubell
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Have them show you a bottle of it where it states the fluid meets the Mercon SP or LV standard, or is at least compatible.

But to me that isn't the issue. You had a verbal understanding with this guy at the shop and he flat out did something different? Are you kidding me? Normally, I am nice and would only ask for a refund for the trans work. But when I am taken advantage of in this manner, I would demand a 100% refund.

This is a classic 'bait and switch'. Telling you that they would use Mercon fluids ($$$) and replacing them with the house brand ($). I would be back at that shop demanding my money back. You just don't do that to people.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:15 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would throw a fit and make them flush to SP and provide a written warranty, or have them pay to have it serviced at a dealership.

This is why I do my own fluid changes.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:27 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by cartmanea
I would throw a fit and make them flush to SP and provide a written warranty, or have them pay to have it serviced at a dealership.

I'd be the same way, ESPECIALLY after the OP specifically discussed using Mercon fluids. I'd also be willing to bet there was no discussion of the use of KY either.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:38 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Partsman Whats the KY for? not the trans , its only for rear ends.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:17 PM
rocky1074
Elder User
A verbal understanding doesn't mean anything..ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITING

Old 05-22-2011, 10:50 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cartmanea

Bingo, I don't let anyone touch my truck unless it's absolutley necessary. I know what you mean by not having time to do things. Sometimes you just gotta do certain things yourself or let the dealer do them to save yourself a headache.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:01 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Hey juvat97 think about this if they didn't completly flush out old fluid and just drained the pan more than likely what they did, then you have mix of mercron sp and some other crap they put in it. Now the question is how will the new stuff mix with the ford sp.

Quick Reply: Shop didn't use Mercon fluids - Is this a problem?