6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Rough when warm dealer says glow plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:16 PM
FishyBiz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough when warm dealer says glow plugs?

2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 Turbo 155k – Dealer tells me that his Master ASE Diesel Mechanic says to replace two glow plugs and glow plug controller module $700.00 needed to stop engine from stumbling and bucking after engine is warmed up, happens only when under light acceleration / maintaining speed, seams fine when coasting or under harder acceleration. Mechanic also says glow plugs turn on and off when driving normally sometimes. I thought glow plugs on all diesels were used for startup and initial warm up. Does this make any sense?

In the past year the dealer has already gotten over $4900.00 for maintenance work mostly engine is this normal, one visit?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:26 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FishyBiz
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 Turbo 155k – Dealer tells me that his Master ASE Diesel Mechanic says to replace two glow plugs and glow plug controller module $700.00 needed to stop engine from stumbling and bucking after engine is warmed up, happens only when under light acceleration / maintaining speed, seams fine when coasting or under harder acceleration. Mechanic also says glow plugs turn on and off when driving normally sometimes. I thought glow plugs on all diesels were used for startup and initial warm up. Does this make any sense?

In the past year the dealer has already gotten over $4900.00 for maintenance work mostly engine is this normal, one visit?

Get your truck away from those morons. Sounds like ICP, wire chafing, FICM, EGR etc. but not a glow plug issue. A $200 code reader and a few questions here probably would have saved you $4500 of that maintenance.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:49 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
sounds to me the bucking and stumbling under acceleration could be the egr valve sticking.mine did the same thing. when i would maintain a constant speed,say 60,and go to accelerate it would stumble,buck,and puff black smoke.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:38 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by High Binder
Get your truck away from those morons. Sounds like ICP, wire chafing, FICM, EGR etc. but not a glow plug issue. A $200 code reader and a few questions here probably would have saved you $4500 of that maintenance.

I HIGHLY agree with High Binder. This "master" diesel tech is a master MORON and doesn't know squat about the operating systems on this motor. It has NOTHING to do with the glowplug system. You need to find a competent dealership AND technician to fix your rig. Head down to the Fl. chapter and see if someone there can give you the name of a competent mechanic in your area.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
mechanic B is wrong...
if you have ever done an ase test you get that joke...

anyway icp or injecor issue

Old 05-25-2011, 11:02 PM
FishyBiz
New User
Thank you very much for the replies

Thank you very much for the replies.

I got a little more information from the dealer today when I took Excursion back to complain and show Ford service management that their master diesel mechanic forgot to reconnect glow plug module, both nuts were gone and unit was flopping around just above the header. Mechanic would not talk to me (good idea) but he told his management that nuts were missing when truck was brought to him. FYI - this dealer is the only one that has ever done any engine work on it since new in 2004 and I do all oil, air and fuel filter stuff. Dealer mechanic doesn’t have any 10m nuts that fit and says they are special? To no surprise the Ford dealer parts department can’t find the nuts part number to even order, so guess junk yard here I come. Just gave blood today and to no surprise my blood pressure is way up. Wild!!!

Only codes for glow plugs and glow plug module was found P0675, P0677 & P0670 related to glow plugs 5, 7 and glow plug module, that said if no other codes are there is EGR next best guess? Can I clean it to test, parts guy said he was 95% sure bad EGR would put up a code if it was bad, any thoughts?

Thanks
Matt

Old 05-25-2011, 11:18 PM
matty169
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Codes.......

Originally Posted by FishyBiz
Thank you very much for the replies.

I got a little more information from the dealer today when I took Excursion back to complain and show Ford service management that their master diesel mechanic forgot to reconnect glow plug module, both nuts were gone and unit was flopping around just above the header. Mechanic would not talk to me (good idea) but he told his management that nuts were missing when truck was brought to him. FYI - this dealer is the only one that has ever done any engine work on it since new in 2004 and I do all oil, air and fuel filter stuff. Dealer mechanic doesn’t have any 10m nuts that fit and says they are special? To no surprise the Ford dealer parts department can’t find the nuts part number to even order, so guess junk yard here I come. Just gave blood today and to no surprise my blood pressure is way up. Wild!!!

Only codes for glow plugs and glow plug module was found P0675, P0677 & P0670 related to glow plugs 5, 7 and glow plug module, that said if no other codes are there is EGR next best guess? Can I clean it to test, parts guy said he was 95% sure bad EGR would put up a code if it was bad, any thoughts?

Thanks
Matt
And THAT is why he is a parts guy. EGR valves fail regularly without codes. And of course you have glow plug codes. It wasnt plugged in, right?

Old 05-26-2011, 04:29 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
LMAO--the only thing special about those nuts is the ones in service at the dealership. I got a package of them at Lowes for about $2 that had 6 or 10 in it. IIRC 6mm mechanical lock nuts that fit a 10mm socket. I drop them all the time and they're too cheap to hunt for. You can probably get them at any parts or hardware store.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:33 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Originally Posted by matty169
And THAT is why he is a parts guy. EGR valves fail regularly without codes. And of course you have glow plug codes. It wasnt plugged in, right?
Agreed ........... (except the "parts guy" part - lol)

Old 05-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Mich6.0
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check the wiring back at the EBP SENSOR mine was melted together and it bucked a skipped once in a while. Back buy the turbo Y-Pipe on drivers side.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:54 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Originally Posted by Mich6.0
check the wiring back at the EBP SENSOR mine was melted together and it bucked a skipped once in a while. Back buy the turbo Y-Pipe on drivers side.
EBP sensor? Are you sure ....

Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
LMAO--the only thing special about those nuts is the ones in service at the dealership. I got a package of them at Lowes for about $2 that had 6 or 10 in it. IIRC 6mm mechanical lock nuts that fit a 10mm socket. I drop them all the time and they're too cheap to hunt for. You can probably get them at any parts or hardware store.

Hey Tim, Hope the top of the engine wasn't apart when you dropped them and just grabbed new ones!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 PM
FishyBiz
New User
Update to rough running at speed bucking / jerking

I cleaned the EGR it was very dirty but made no difference.

So after reading how over 80% of fuel injectors replaced by Ford dealers and returned for rebuild were just dirty. I decided to do heavy fuel injector cleaning for several tanks of fuel, before taking the Excursion to a good local independent diesel mechanic not affiliated with my local dealer Greenway Ford and with an excellent reputation for honesty with his own shop for over 15 years. I ran double the injector cleaner and fuel conditioner and one large bottle of yellow STP diesel fuel injector cleaner, after 3 tanks of fuel doing this, its running much much better, almost no shudder or bucking at speed about 60 MPH and 1750 RPM. I expect one more tank of fuel treatment and it will run just like it used too a couple of years ago, I let everyone know.

Thanks, Matt

PS. I will have much more to say about my local dealer Greenway Ford of Orlando, FL in the near future and none of it good, in my opinion.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:41 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
try some rev-x for the oil side of the injector also. if you can find some 244K made by BG use that stuff. it blows any fuel system cleaner outta the water. this stuff is super strong! highly highly recommend it. i can sell you some if you cant find it.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM
FishyBiz
New User
Thanks to rdunagan the rev-x did the trick on the oil side thank you very much

Thanks again to rdunagan oil additive did the trick,

I also had surging shuttering, I called it bucking, issue while maintaining speed or slight acceleration about 1700 rpm on 2004 Excursion 6.0L.

Finally fixed it about 6 weeks ago this issue was happening for over a year. It was stiction in the fuel injectors, did oil change with full synthetic 5w40 Rotella and added rev-x oil additive two 4oz jars almost immediately things changed and within 15 min of driving problem was completely gone and has NOT returned in over 1500 miles, also fuel mileage went up by 2+mpg.

I’m NOT a believer of additives at all, but with all reading on Ford 6.0L running issues it seemed like many say they help. Decided to try rev-x oil and gas treatments and the oil additive stuff worked for me, had tried several things and was about to sell truck or save $$$ for all new injectors. Tried cleaning EGR, MAF, new air filter, checked codes, did several early oil changes using full synthetic 5w40. Used / tried lots and lots of fuel additives / injector cleaners Lucas, Power Service supplement, Seafoam and STP, things seemed to get a little better at times, at least that is what I thought on a 2000 mile round trip Orlando to Philadelphia pulling 7000lb trailer (wrong). Figured this stuff was worth a try $85.00 just shows how much I know about diesel engines; fingers crossed problem stays away. Runs fine no codes, almost 16 mpg in city / suburbs again - Much happier now!!!

Thanks again to rdunagan oil additive did the trick,
Matt